Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oil light flickers at idle

Wes Jackson ยท 2018-11-16 05:27

I have a Komatsu PC 128 us that when at operating temp the oil light will flicker, the machine has around 10,000 hrs, is this a common problem, should I be concerned?

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2018-11-16 13:28

    My first thought would be to hook up a mechanical pressure gauge to the lubrication system to check whether there is actually a low pressure problem or whether in fact you have some sort of issue in the electrical/electronic side. The oil pressure light flickering is most definitely a cause for concern. You need to get to the bottom it one way or another.

  2. #2Wes Jackson2018-11-17 05:07

    Thanks for the response, I will do as You suggested.

  3. #3Nige2018-11-17 05:40

    Another couple of thoughts. 1. Has the engine oil and filter been changed recently..? If it's been a while since it was last changed maybe you could do that, paying particular attention for the smell of fuel in the oil - see below. 2. Do you check the oil level before every cold engine start..? Possibly there might be an internal engine fuel leak that's thinning the oil.

  4. #4Wes Jackson2018-11-18 04:02

    Thanks again. I know this sounded like a stupid question but the reason I asked is because I mentioned this to 2 different heavy equipment mechanics and was told by both to add Lucas oil treatment. The oil is getting close to needing changed and the flickering light happens when the machine has been running hard in very hot and humid S.C. weather. I have blown out the radiator, But that didn't change anything, the temp guage is hard to read but the overheat light doesn't come on when the oil light does. The oil does not smell or feel like it is contaminated. It has cooled off here now and I have not run the machine lately but am starting a job with it Monday.

  5. #5Nige2018-11-18 04:25

    Just my opinion, but you really need to be finding a better class of "heavy equipment mechanic" if all they could suggest in your circumstances was to add Lucas oil treatment. If the engine is close to needing an oil change why not do one now..? Use some good quality oil (Shell, Mobil, etc,) and a branded filter. See where that takes you. At around 10k hours your are probably getting to the point where an engine rebuild is on the horizon.

  6. #6Wes Jackson2018-11-18 07:01

    Planning to service it today. You may be right about the mechanics! LOL I hope no engine rebuild is necessary, got a John Deere 200 with 22,000 hrs still running strong.

  7. #7Nige2018-11-18 10:41

    Even if you do change the oil & filter and the flickering oil pressure light goes away, it would still be an idea to put a temporary gauge on it sooner rather than later so that you can see what you've got.

  8. #8Wes Jackson2018-11-18 11:03

    I got the guage and am looking for fittings to install it, I may just leave it in and plumb the pressure switch to it. Thanks for the help!