Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cold Start button

ktm250rider ยท 2018-11-15 19:07

i got a 90's Hyunday R130LC-3. I picked up an operators manual and it shows a cold start button. Description says "if pressed, starting aid fluid injected to get easier engine starting" The manual shows optional for the switch. I have the switch in my cab but I have no idea if there is a container that needs to be filled. I generally don't run it when it gets cold. And if ive had too, Ive just manually squirted starting fluid into the air cleaner. With what seems to be an early winter here in New Hampshire, I need to get the machine put away. Any idea if the optional means that system is optional and every machine has the switch ? Or, do I need to find an ether tank somewhere on the machine?

Replies7
  1. #1heymccall2018-11-15 20:17

    If equipped with an ether start system, regardless of manufacturer, there will be a thermoplastic hose entering the air tract between the air cleaner and the engine. It's typically an 1/8 plastic or steel pipe. If you see that line, follow it away from the engine.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2018-11-16 07:17

    There will be a "can" somewhere under the hood also. {starting fluid} hooked to that line.

  3. #3kshansen2018-11-16 09:25

    Look around under the hood for something that looks like a hand held propane torch bottle, many are red, orange, or white with some yellow ones. And will have a small usually plastic line to intake for engine. Just one Example of a kit:

  4. #4ktm250rider2018-11-18 08:22

    I assume the can is replaceable so it should be accessible. Couldn't find anything. I'll do another search today.

  5. #5thepumpguysc2018-11-18 08:30

    If it has one, it'll be right below the steering wheel, under the hood. {on most applications}

  6. #6Shimmy12018-11-18 13:26

    I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it had it, but a previous owner removed it. Most machines of that vintage and newer have glow plugs or intake heaters, too bad this one doesn't.

  7. #7kshansen2018-11-18 15:13

    Yes the can is replaceable. Best bet to find if it has one is to look for a small usually black plastic line around 1/8 inch diameter hooked in to the intake side of the engine, often right in the center of the intake manifold. Another way you might locate the device would to have some one in the cab push the button with key on and engine off while you listen for the clicking of the solenoid that controls it. I have seen some factory installed units that were not in the easiest place to see or replace the bottle! Many of the fittings that are in the intake manifolds have to be aimed so as to not shoot all the fluid into one cylinder.