Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oil pressure

Willie B ยท 2021-09-23 19:22

My former fire truck is equipped with a Caterpillar 3208 T. I get it most of you are making that hissing sound. It ain't a first choice engine. It is low hour, pumped 615 hours, likely travelled 10,000 miles. It runs at near 100PSIG on the highway, at idle, it's over 50. Is this a concern? I do wonder if it should be somehow regulated. Will it blow a hose?

Replies10
  1. #1Truck Shop2021-09-23 20:51

    3208's can really vary on oil pressure, spec's range anywhere from 35 idle to 100 full tilt. I worked on one that would peg the gauge at full throttle 100 and idled at 25. I wouldn't worry.

  2. #2Willie B2021-09-23 20:53

    Thank you. I was a bit concerned something was blocking flow.

  3. #3Truck Shop2021-09-23 21:03

    Well if something was blocking flow-it would have a picture window in the side of the block by now.

  4. #4skata2021-09-23 21:06

    Most engines have a pressure relief valve of some sort.

  5. #5John C.2021-09-23 21:26

    I had four of them at one place I worked. I had plenty of other problems with the trucks and worrying about oil pressure was never even mentioned by the drivers. All had at least 75 PSI at high idle.

  6. #6Willie B2021-09-24 06:49

    None that I've noticed.

  7. #7Old Doug2021-09-24 11:08

    I dont understand but like the 3208 alot of engines did there job and did it well but even the the best engines have haters. I sleep better when the oil presser gauge dosent work.

  8. #8Willie B2021-09-24 19:29

    OK, you have a point. My neighbor 50 years ago had a 1953 Jeep CJ3B (tall flat hood) It had an F head 131 engine. Half the valves were in the block, half were in the head. Horsepower ratings were something like 60. Oil pressure gauge read zero. Local garage owner said, " If you had no oil pressure, it'd seize." He drove it that way another 10 years.

  9. #9Old Doug2021-09-25 08:51

    I have a case 1830 skid steer one of the best things i ever bought. It was setting on a dealers lot i went and run it the oil presser gauge is down under the front of the seat. I started it up bent over the gauge was on 40 psi. I got it home and weeks later i went to get in it and happen to look at the gauge it has 40 psi even when its not running.

  10. #1056wrench2021-09-25 10:46

    I personally like a functioning oil pressure gauge and would not run an engine without one. If in doubt, check the pressure with a master gauge to compare