Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Smart phones, smart watches and now smart bolts

Welder Dave ยท 2021-09-24 14:04

Came across these. What's next, self tightening bolts??? SmartBolt DTI - SmartBolts

Replies6
  1. #1skata2021-09-24 14:38

    The price is absurd.

  2. #2Welder Dave2021-09-24 17:00

    Wow! $120.07 for 1/2-13 bolt 2 1/2" long. I think I'd use some high strength Loctite and a torque wrench and get bolts for about $2.00 each. For larger bolts just use the plastic indicators like they use on big truck lug nuts. Even paint markings would let you know if the bolts have loosened. Curious to know what applications Smart bolts are common?

  3. #3Volvomad2021-09-25 13:39

    Some smart ass engineer dremt up another way to screw us

  4. #4boaterri2021-09-25 14:25

    Obviously for a Government funded project.

  5. #5BigWrench552021-09-25 14:56

    Just wait. I'm sure the manufacturer is lobbying right now that these bolts be used on all Osha and MSHA regulated sites. That way the inspector wouldn't need to waste effort spotting violations.

  6. #6joe--h2021-09-28 01:48

    Sounds like a Simpson idea, takes 6 of them for some sort of hurricane ties. They'll be code next year for seismic zones. Joe H