Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oil type

Maybeso · 2020-06-01 23:34

My operators manual calls for Hy-tran 1207 in the front end, rear end, transmisson and both front and rear planetarys of my 580L. I read a lot of different opinions on the different types of oil for different sections of the machine, but surely the manual should be right, shouldnt it?

Replies6
  1. #1mitch5042020-06-01 23:39

    yes

  2. #2hosspuller2020-06-02 01:46

    I use Deere Hy-gard in my machines. It's very expensive compared to 303 oil. But, it's cheap compared to repairs. I had some minor experience as a machine designer. I expect the Deere equipment was designed around the oil specs. for example: Length and diameter of bushing, among other details, flowed from loads and speeds vs oil properties. These parts can be changed in design, the oil spec was set by Deere to sell their oil. I don't know design conditions, so I don't try to second guess the designers. The exception is engine oil... the specs are generic and widely known. Current range and API group is good enough for me.

  3. #3Maybeso2020-06-02 08:41

    what type of machine do you have?

  4. #4highwayghost2020-06-02 09:36

    IMO...Stick with what the manual recommends, if you don't then you'll forever be wondering if that part failure you had was because you used the wrong oil. If only for your peace of mind.

  5. #5sergioasmi2020-06-02 10:23

    if the machine is under warranr¿ty use the information in the owner manual

  6. #6hosspuller2020-06-02 12:31

    Deere tractors 310C, F915, 102, 5200 & 5065