Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Oil Type for Case Dozer

tripseven ยท 2010-04-15 15:13

Would someone be kind enough to tell me what kind of motor oil I should use in my 1975 Case dozer. Im pretty sure it has the 188 diesel motor. Many thanks!

Replies7
  1. #1daman2010-04-15 19:48

    Any currant API CJ-4 or CI-4 15w40 from the BIG "three" Rotella,Delo,Delavc will work perfic for your application. TSC usally has sales along with walmart.

  2. #2tripseven2010-04-16 05:13

    Thanks for the info Daman :thumbsup

  3. #3daman2010-04-16 08:02

    No problem :drinkup

  4. #4Jednlulu2010-04-16 21:58

    Hmm...I was advised SAE 30 in my region, NW OH. I'm on a Case 450 though..it matter? I just recently got my dozer (sold my boat, bought a dozer, go figure). And have all kinds of questions but still am unable to post new threads....even after posting several replies...any advice? Even if I attempt to PM an administrator, I'm told I'm not allowed to! Thanks for any help....

  5. #5tripseven2010-04-17 01:48

    Jednlulu- I went to this link and posted three test threads then I was able to post new threads. I figured there would be more folks replying on oil type since this machine is quite common. BTW my dozer is a 450 also.

  6. #6daman2010-04-17 08:46

    The viscosity of a strait 30w is around a 11-14 @ 100 cSt(your oil warm at operating viscosity/temp) a given multi vis 15w40,Delo,Delvac,Rotella will be in the neighbor hood of 13-15 @ cSt 100,so you can see there not that far off from each other. IF you cant sleep at night worried about running a 15w40 or the units going to be used in the cold weather they(Rotella) do have HDEOs in the 10w30 range,but my self i'd stick with the higher visc 15w40 for the added film strength at operating temps. You'll be just fine using that oil no worries.

  7. #7gwelding2013-10-23 14:54

    I agree with Daman, Rotella 15w40 is what I use in my case 450 dozer.