I have a 96 D8R 7XM00754. Coolant seems oily. Also sometimes I swear the exhaust has a slight blue tint to it but not often. Any guesses? Also, why do all maintenance schedules I've seen have you replacing the secondary fuel filter often but not the primary fuel filter? Thanks!
Do you mean it feels slippery? or it has an oil sheen on the top of the coolant? Is there an oil ring around the surface of any reservoirs in the cooling system?
Do you have the correct (SEBU6891-10) Operation & Maintenance Manual for the tractor..? Some primary filters are a washable reusable screen. This type of filter is designed to be cleaned and reused provided it is not mechanically damaged (usually split), in which case it should be replaced. The fashion today seems to be more for throwaway primary fuel/water separator elements. On any machine equipped with this type of element I would change the primary element every time the secondary fuel filter was changed whatever the manual said.
Awesome thank you. That's what I thought as well. I do not have the manual.
When you look in it you can see a sheen. If you touch it and rub your fingers it leaves oil
I don't know if there is an oil ring aroj d reservoirs?
Never mind, the oily sheen and oil on the fingers is good enough. I didn't know what seems oily meant to you, just trying to clarify. That little oil could come from a lot of places, or could have been added accidentally. You could watch it and see if it gets worse, flush the cooling system with water and dishwasher detergent, or tear into some coolers. Do you run SOS samples on the engine oil? I don't have anything like a D8, but that's what I'd do if I was running this.
Agree with Delmer's comments. If you are not sampling the engine oil on a regular basis on a machine the size of a D8 you ought to be IMHO. A positive result for water and/or glycol in an oil sample analysis would confirm your diagnosis of oil in the radiator and also confirm that coolant is going in the opposite direction.
I was thinking the same. I looked on Google and there's a lot of companies offering these services. Can you recommend a company?
Go to Cat Publications web site - https://catpublications.com/ When the popup appears, click on "Continue as Guest" Type SEBU6891 in the box at the top of the screen and hit the Search button. The illustration below should appear. $46 for a pdf download or $55 (+ S&H) for a paper version.
Look no further than your local Cat dealer. They will have an oil analysis lab and, better still, the information from the factory with which they can give you an interpretation of the results, not just the numbers.