Just bought a foot pump for greasing my machines. Couldn’t find a 5 gallon pale of grease locally so I asked my neighbor if he knew of where I could buy one. He said to come over. I went and he gave me a 5 gallon pale of grease. It’s Drydene heavy duty EP 0 grease that was made the year I was born. Grease seems to be good, and clean. The smell reminds me of when I had a bunch of gear oil from a differential dump all over my chest. Looking to use this on my backhoe and don’t want to put too much in the foot pump if it isn’t going to be an ideal choice. I see they make greases now but can’t find any info on this very old product. Was hoping some one here may have used it in the past or knows whether or not it will be ok to use. Thanks, Joe
not the best choice, any grease is better than no grease lol bet it had oil on top when 1st opened, if the backhoe is not used for hard and grease often may get by, if the foot pump cost much no worth it, you may could use a older grease that works by pumping lever, and loads manauly by hand, hard working backhoes need heavy grease
It's not going to be an "ideal choice". I think that ep 0 means it's a winter grade of grease, so it would be perfect for winter use in farm equipment, or a skid steer if you do snow removal. A #2 grease will be a summer grade of grease, and "ideally" you'll want a moly grease for anything with heavy duty pins and bushings.
Yea that’s pretty much what I was thinking. Glad I only filled the pump up 1/3 of the way. I have a skid steer too but I don’t think it will be great for that either. I’m pretty sure the ep stands for extreme pressure and like you said the 0 indicates the thinner viscosity. I just couldn’t find any info on what’s in this older grease. I’ll be ordering some Schaffer 238. Spent all day greasing the machine. Very little use on it and extremely tight, but it was also neglected going without greasings or they used it so little that the grease dried out and they couldn't pump when they did try. Quite happy I got about 98% of it greased with this foot pump. Thanks for the replies fellas.