Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ok wrenches/owners…questrion

cattracks ยท 2014-06-02 02:44

You popped the tracks of a dozer (for whatever reason) and found some slop in the front idlers (side to side) How bad does it need to be for you to be concerned and want to replace bushings and/or??? Not sure yet on cost of parts but, the work involved to get the rollers apart is going to be excruciating. I'm an operator not a wrench and would love your opinions!!! Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1caterpillarmech2014-06-02 05:47

    Reman. Most dealerships will rebuild them for you as well if they don't have or offer a reman. If you have the tools and the time you can do it yourself. Most of the time I go with a rebuilt idler. It saves the customer down time and allows both of us to move on to more money making jobs.

  2. #2cattracks2014-06-02 05:57

    Thanks Catmech, so, that said, if there is significant slop (side to side) they should be dealt with?? Thanks for the in-put!!!! Tough to find reman items (dozer related) here in Thailand but...I will pursue it.

  3. #3Nige2014-06-02 09:09

    Do them now (or have them done for you) while the tracks are off. If you don't you'll regret it later. The idlers should have zero side to side play if they are in good condition.

  4. #4overworked2014-06-02 12:02

    What machine are we talking about?

  5. #5Mjrdude12014-06-02 16:12

    Also, is the side play in the roller on the shaft, or the shaft / roller slop in the frame? If it is slop in the frame at the roller endcaps, a small amount is fine.

  6. #6cattracks2014-06-02 20:17

    @ Nige...thanks, that's what I thought too!! I'm guessing at least 1cm slop on each side...what is that 3/8 or 5/16 or close. I could come up with a way to measure if need be. I think it's to much!! @overworked and underpaid ...this is on a D21A-7 Komatsu. I took the rubber tracks off and I'm looking for a set of rails and pads for her @Mjrdude1...Not sure if it's the bushings (hope so) or the shaft. I've been unable to remove the shaft retention pin/bolt/stud, whatever it's called. I'm at a stand still and looking for a set of remans. Hard, very hard to find Dozer parts here!!! Well, that and I can't communicate (Thai) with people like I should be able to. Thanks for the in-put gentlemen. Open to any ideas on the removal of said pin

  7. #7cattracks2014-06-13 19:00

    Update: Got it apart, had to drill out the retaining bolts that keep the shaft in place. I was happy to find that the inside bushings were Brass...told me that the shafts are still good. No wear on the outside bushings and parts are ordered, went to a state side dealer.