Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old Austin-Western Drag Grader

707Doug44 ยท 2018-08-25 22:25

Hi All, was wondering, have a friend that has an Austin-Western Drag Grader with S/N 101438. Any idea where and how to possibly pinpoint year, and possibly any service it has seen? Any help with looking up value would also be appreciated! She is thinking of selling it, plus she also has some old farming equipment, she's looking to sell. Was told it was 30's era? Possible some military background, chipped a spot of paint, was originally red, then green, then red under current paint...

Replies4
  1. #1Graderfan19812018-08-27 18:17

    I really like those nice old pull graders, thanks so much for sharing

  2. #2Delmer2018-08-27 18:24

    30's era seems right to me, I wouldn't anything otherwise. To get closer you'd need the serial number to make sense to somebody, or find old sales brochures with the updates by year to see if this has roller bearings vs sleeve somewhere, or an updated whatever that came out in a certain year. I saw a similar Cat (I believe) pulled grader in an online auction listing, went for $500 and I'd snap it up at that price today, that might have been just after 2008 when everything was down, or maybe a few years before that. The price of something like this is highly local at the bottom end, and specific if you can find a collector who wants it (good condition, rare, whatever) and is willing to travel and pay up to maybe a couple grand?

  3. #3707Doug442018-08-28 10:34

    The Serial number on Grader nomenclature plate is 101438.

  4. #4707Doug442018-08-28 10:36

    Thanks for the reply, yeah, if you find the right person kinda thing. Ya'll have a great day!