Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old Bucyrus excavator.

powerjoke · 2010-11-01 20:35

I have the opp to purchase this machine, It would look awesome in front of my office for display but not sure if I wanna go through the work to clean it up, (running or not) all I know about it is, it is a "backhoe" and has an international Diesel motor in it....the rest is up to you guys lol. my Q' is, Is it worth anything for any nostalgia purpose? I also bought a couple of early Mack B models from the guy with a '42 LaCross lowboy, and the Ex on the lowboy would be great for parades. Pj

Replies4
  1. #1Buckethead2010-11-01 21:04

    Looks like a 10B. They are a popular machine with collectors. More popular than the bigger ones. Like any cable machine, they're hard to operate, but they are all mechanical, no air controls, hydraulics, or electronics to go bad. If it was running when they parked it, and if you're lucky, maybe you can get away with just freeing up stuck linkages to get it moving again. Good Luck! :drinkup

  2. #2cwelke2010-11-14 17:34

    If you are into old equipment, the 10B is a neat machine to have in your collection. They usually came with gas engine, so it sounds like it was re-engined at one time. It could also have been ordered that way. If you can get a look at the tracks to see how worn they are, also see if the bucket is getting thin around the teeth and cutting edges. That will give you a good idea of how worn it is. I ran a cable backhoe and dragline for sometime. It is definitely something to be proud of when you get the hang of it. There are some 10B's around, but if you are serious you should get this. Right now that machine is worth the price of scrap. I think the machine will be around 20,000 pounds at 10 cents a pound makes it about $2000.00, less the cost of getting it to the yard. I would start negotiating at $1500.00. If you can get for under $2500.00 you are still probably OK unless you let your emotions get away with you. Of course without emotions, where would the collectors be today. Can you get some closer pictures? Where is this located?

  3. #3john10662010-11-21 20:07

    We have alot of old equipment its pretty cool to learn how to run it and its kind of nice to keep them going. right now we are just getting done restoring a Koehring 505

  4. #4Jumbo2010-11-23 17:16

    Silly story on me…. I had some experience loading logs with a 30B and a 38B usually I was driving log truck. Weyerhaeuser had me bumped back to driving a gravel hack one winter and we were mucking out one of the drainage ditches around the mill, using a 22B. I wanted to get some stick time on it so I traded off with the operator, on the second load, still getting the feel of the machine, about 10 feet above the box of the truck, instead of lowering the hoisting line, I slacked off the closing line on the clam. About 1 teaspoon of that sloppy goo ended up in the truck. I remember it to this day… I can run a machine, but, I am NOT an operator. The 22B was the oldest machine I ever ran, I did load logs later with one using a dipper stick and earwigs.