Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old CAT 215 questions

Brusew86 ยท 2022-10-16 20:20

I have a mid 80's (I think) cat 215. some questions: 1. the serial plate says 96L1124. I cant pull up any parts diagrams with that number. CAT online is saying it isnt a valid part number. Any ideas? 2. I need to replace the seal on the track adjuster. Do I need to split the track and pull the whole assembly with idler out the front or can ido it in place? I see the bolts on the adjuster, but havent pulled off the cover over the other end of the rod and spring to see if I can be removed without first removing the idler. Thanks.

Replies4
  1. #1ahart2022-10-16 20:32

    Serial number is valid, see below. And yes, you have to either split or remove the track to remove the front idler and track adjuster to reseal it.

  2. #2skyking12022-10-16 20:36

    I've not had to split a track to get it off of an excavator, but I also have not worked on 215. Usually you can open the adjuster and force the grease out and slip the track to the side to get the idler out.

  3. #3Brusew862022-10-16 20:38

    Ahh ok, need a 0 in there.... Ok thanks, some people were saying I can re seal it without removing the idler.

  4. #4Brusew862022-10-16 20:40

    Ok yeah I have heard of that method. But regardless of how you get the track out of the way, the idler needs to come out it seems. Some people were saying otherwise and i was skeptical.