Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old CAT dozer

MarcusZ1967 ยท 2023-08-22 06:53

Found this in the weeds. Any info would be appreciated.

Replies10
  1. #1Nige2023-08-22 07:20

    An original D8 (pre E model) probably manufactured about 1954 I think. Others mmay be able to date it more accurately.

  2. #2Old Magnet2023-08-22 18:39

    Yes, 1954 build, the 13A was an upgrade of the 2U series.

  3. #3chidog2023-08-23 23:55

    I forget? 14A is with clutch and is the 13A or is it 15A a diesel torque converter ish type of deal??? A 2U is that, and would not have something like 13A or 14A ?

  4. #4Old Magnet2023-08-24 01:07

    Close, 14A is with clutch a 15A had the diesel torque converter. The 13A came about as an upgrade interum as the 14A/15A was not ready for production.

  5. #5OzDozer2023-08-24 03:29

    Production figures for the 13A D8 are interesting, Cat only built 312 of them in 1953 (first year of production), then in 1954, production soared to 2816 units, and the final year of production saw only 573 of them built. I'm thinking that the big push to build the Interstate Highway system in this period was the major reason for the big increase in D8 production. Plus, I guess, development all over the world was demanding bigger and bigger tractors in that era, and the D8 was the biggest Cat available until the D9 appeared in 1955.

  6. #6Welder Dave2023-08-24 03:32

    Some more pics. of the machine would be nice.

  7. #7MarcusZ19672023-08-24 04:40

    When I get back over there I'll grab more.

  8. #8chidog2023-08-24 14:18

    Operated? No I'd call it moved those old manual clutch machines a few times. Even as a younger person I would have had a hard time putting in a 12 plus hour day on one of them, especially in a clearing operation. Operators had to work back in them days.

  9. #9skyking12023-08-24 14:51

    The blade cable is rats-nested and you would likely be using a chain to hold it up for transport, if you got it running. it is not an impossible fix but it is an ugly one to reave a new one in.

  10. #10chidog2023-08-24 21:32

    Can't be any worse than the old cable scrapers, super mess.