Good day everyone, I am a new member here. I am hoping to contribute to this forum. I recently started a new job at construction company where I am a intern. I work as a mechanic assistant and really enjoy it so far. So the construction company I work for uses which looked like to be a little older construction machines, mostly from the brand CAT. It really surprised me how effective these machines are still. So I was wondering if anyone maybe has brochures or something about little older CAT machinery. I don't like the modern machines with all of their electronics. So it might be interesting to see what older CAT equipment there was. I don't know how CAT advertised but it would be cool to see what older CAT machinery there was. Thanks Johnny
Hi there, welcome aboard. That's a good question you have there I don't know much about the old CAT equipment. I only have a old Cat dozer and loader. Hopefully someone with more info will pop up.
Look under forum Old Iron, Crawlers I Photo'd for photos and some info and old brochures. Welcome to HEF.
Welcome to the Forums JR!
Thanks I'll have a look!
Take a look at the Antique Caterpillar Machinery Owners Club. Index Index www.acmoc.org
eBay has quiet a lot of the older brochures. I’ve purchased quiet a few in order to compare them against other pieces.
The Italian MMT Forum has a repository of sales brochures and photos that is unparalleled to any other site around. The album builder, Alberto Cunto (don't laugh, that's a genuine Italian surname, and it's pronounced "Coon-toe" has collected thousands of sales brochures and photos of nearly every type and make of equipment, that has ever been built. The size of his collection is breathtaking and you can spend hours perusing it, looking at all the wondrous products so many manufacturers made. Go to the LH menu where it says "MMT Albums", click on "The History of MMT's" - which then opens a sub-menu divided into eras such as - "Historical MMT's - before 1950", Historical MMT's - the 1950's", Historical MMT's - the 1960's", and so on, to the 2000's. There's even a folder for historical photos and brochures, with date unknown. Many photos and some brochures are from Forum contributors, and as the site is Italian-based, you will find quite a few Italian words in descriptions that need translation. There is an emphasis on European machinery on the website, but the American and other countries manufacturers are not forgotten. The albums are truly a great data repository. The only drawback with the album is a general lack of text information with the photos. Some of the brochures provide information in their text. Album MMT
Depending how old the equipment is, sometimes you can just Google the model (brochures) and brochures will show up.
What particular machines?
A few from UK
Just CAT machinery in general from years back
The Leverton information, how do those prices interchange to US $ back in those days? Nice to see how inflated used worn out junk is now compared to brand new.
So any idea what a new D8H cost in the USA in 1974?
Multiply by 2.35.
So this is the part I find fascinating; If I am reading correct, in 1974 a brand new D8 was 33,000 British Pounds. I understand Nige is saying that multiplying that by 2.35 will convert to USD, which is about $77,500. Now if you go to usinflationcalculator.com, $77,500 1974 dollars would be $474,000 today. (Just stop and think about that) But a new D8 today is over a million dollars . . . In terms of capacity, what does a D8H compare to in modern equipment?
That is not a fair comparison IMHO. A D8H back in the 1970s had an engine with 270 BHP nett, a current model D8T has somewhere around 365 BHP, a third more. The current D7 is rated at 265 BHP nett, and likely will do more work than a D8H while costing less to operate in both fuel and parts. How much does a D7 cost these days.?
Funny, there are some folks that want what new price was for those machines now. Years ago anything over 25 years old was considered an antique. So is a 50 year old machine worth what everyone seems to think they are? Sorry to change the topic from literature. And how many here know all the age related, metal fatigue and stress caused problem areas in them? Its a huge gamble to pay top dollar for one I say. Its like make your millions off of it, then expect to get back what you paid for it. It sure doesn't work that way with your car, didn't till covid anyway.
I sold the last 2 of my 1974 D8H 68A tractors and boxes in 2018 for more than they cost new.They were in good condition though and are still working every summer.
My current D8T will massively outperform my D8H’s in every way. Here in the UK we still have a surprising amount of D8H/K tractors pulling hydraulic and cable scrapers and only a handful of D8N/R tractors pulling boxes.My thoughts are that you really can’t beat an old manual or powershift D8 for doing that type of work. A couple of contractors have very smart new D7E tractors pulling hydraulic 463’s,but they aren’t on social media. As for towed scrapers in general,those Challanger type units with K-Tec scrapers are fantastic performers
Your D8H's were some of the finest examples anywhere.
Thanks Dave,it’s appreciated. Strangely enough,the man that bought them was saying that just last night. We’re currently in negotiations on an old D8L that needs work doing to it,and it’s probably worth less than the D8H’s in its current condition
I can recall when I bought the third of my three D7F's in late 1974, I nearly purchased a new D8H instead. The D7F was around AU$50,000 - but due to a sharp revaluation in the US$/AU$ exchange rate, the new D8H price had dropped to just over AU$80,000. The only thing that stopped me was the need to purchase a bigger trailer and truck to haul the D8H. So the D8H idea got canned, and I went with the 3rd D7F. At the time, the price of a new 6 cyl Holden 4 dr sedan was just over AU$2000. I hate to think what a new 270HP Cat dozer is worth to purchase today.
Oz,I’ve new D7F price list somewhere. I’ll try and dig it out
One area they can't outperform. Turning quickness, hystat is slow. I prefer clutches and brakes.
That’s true to a point.I’m not sure how an 8T would like jackknifing around on itself in tight corners pulling a scraper. I’ve also never pushloaded scrapers with a diff steer tractor,so wouldn’t know
Can differential steer have 1 track go forward and 1 go backward like a hydrostatic? Having power to both tracks in a turn while pushing is a huge benefit.
Dif steer, personally its still not much different than clutching one side. I've done the dif steer stuff and saw no great advantage. If its not a tilt steerable load, it sometimes ends up being a repositioning turn.
From what I've seen most operators rave about diff. steer.
I’m a big fan of the old clutch steer tractors,especially when loading then onto trailers,but the diff steer takes some beating
I think the old 2 speed steer case is faster.
The old TD-25 Internationals had a great idea with their 2-speed steering clutches, you could push a full blade in a curve with no trackspin or loss of power to the inside track. But IH fell in a hole with their QC, their engineering was O.K., but their component quality was always suspect.