All of our machines have some components made of plastic nowadays. The cabs seem to be taking the biggest hit just sun damage Rough operators or maybe cleaning supplies? Anyways dealers want sometimes upwards of a 1000$ depending on what panel needs to be replaced. Just wondering who else is dealing with cracked plastic cabs and is it worth just buying one of the plastic “welding” kits and patching up the cracks so the don’t spread. And what can be done to prevent new cracks.
This stuff works pretty good for almost all plastics, and it will also bond plastics to metal. It also works well on the hard-to-repair plastics such as Polyropylene (PP) and Polyethylene (PE). Plastic Bonder Syringe - Black PlasticBonder™is a quick-setting, two-part, urethane adhesive system that provides strong and lasting repairs and works on thermoset, carbon fiber composites, thermoplastics, coated metals, concrete & more. www.jbweld.com I also use "patch plates" made from light gauge galvanised sheet, pop-riveted into position, to strengthen weak areas.
I'd go with the heat gun. That way you can reinforce areas that have worn through like fuel tanks etc.
What about a 3D printer? I guess getting the design data would be the hinderance? Don't know much about 3D printers but I saw a mini-ex that was 3D printed at Conexpo many years back.
Yeah good ole plastic. I remember the day when a certain brand chainsaw went from pretty much all metal to mostly plastic. My brother and I harassing the sales person about it being total junk now, the sales person saying that the plastic is stronger and with take a hit or drop way better. Yeah all hype. With all the talk about plastic contaminating the planet, machinery, tools, vehicles of all sorts should be the place to start eliminating if from, next would be toys. Plastic has a place but not how most is used now. If you want it fixed right either make the parts in metal, or go pay the dealer for the correct "Plastic" part.
I made a post a couple years back on making new plastic parts via mold casting from the old parts. Using this technique, you can fortify weak areas with modeling clay prior to making the mold form so that your replacement part is significantly stronger than the original. Link here: HeavyEquipmentForums There are numerous plastic resins available with different hardness, flexibility and strength qualities. This system is not for every repair but works well for small or intricate parts that are highly overpriced or unavailable.
I have a plastic welding kit which is a glorified electric soldering tool with many different "feet" to attach to the heating element/iron. Was used a lot to repair bumper covers and plastic parts of automobiles. Works well on vinyl interior parts also. It is precision in heat settings and does work well, but is not fast being all manual in operation. If you know the base material you are working with, selection of the compatible filler material is easily sourced. Takes practice but if effort put into it is precise, the product is acceptable and strong.
I've had pretty good success salvaging plastic parts with RapidFix. It's a two part system that seems to be superglue and glass beads in small dispensers. If you have space on one side of the part you can build up the area to be repaired with the product and it can be filed to shape after as well. Keep in mind the thinner you file the less strength your repair will have. I've repaired door cards, latches and numerous other parts with it saving me hundreds in replacement parts. It works best on smaller repairs. RapidFix Instant And UV Adhesives - Go Beyond Super Glue Professional Instant Adhesives Do Not Dry Out In The Bottle! Instant Dual Action Adhesives. UV light Activated Liquid Adhesives And Fiber Repair Patches. www.rapidfix.com
Just like metal welding, you have to know a little something about materials. Some plastics won't weld at all and just melt. I have used the harbor freight plastic welder and it works alright. Like someone above said, it's more like soldering and kind of like using a hot glue gun. I've welded up some poly tanks and livestock tanks with good results, but failed on some plastic trim pieces. The JB weld for plastic works very well for that kind of stuff.