Hey. I talked to a guy today that has an old D6b. He parked it in a building 30 years ago and hasn't ran it since. Whats the chance the motor would be any good? Im thinking of going just to put a bar on it and see if it turns over. If it turns who knows
if it turns over it should run. probably would need battery's and the fuel system primed and it should start. why did he park it and not run it again? before you do anything to it what does want for it, because the more that works the price will go up. do you have a way to haul it the way it sits? try to get it for scrap price that way you don't lose much.
Might pull the air cleaner and make sure there haven't been any critters living in there. Check the various fluid levels etc. Maybe run out of a fuel jug if the fuel tank etc seems trashy. I love old finds like that. Howcome they're always so far away?!?
If it has been inside and kept dry there is a decent chance that the brakes and clutched are not stuck to bad. If the engine turns it usually don't take much to get them running. Looking forward for the pictures. What kind of shape is the undercarriage in?
I haven't actually seen it so cant comment on the shape. It was supposed to be working good when parked is all i know. Its my daughter in-laws grandfathers. He got done using it and parked it in the shed. Hes been dead most of those years. Family is trying to clean the yard up now. The price is right if we get it out of there. Its a few hours away but if winter doesnt leave soon we should have time to go look
One trick I use on an engine that has been sleeping for awhile . Drain the engine oil and then fill it with new oil though a block gally with a plumed up garden sprayer . Helps lube bearings & prime oil pump . https://www.homedepot.com/p/Chapin-...nd-Home-Project-Sprayer-20002-20002/301459877
Even if the engine is stuck the undercarriage is worth scrap price as it crosses over.
I haven't had a chance to go look at it yet but they sent me some pictures. Didn't get a good one of the undercarriage though. One thing i was surprised about is there's no pup motor. Is that common?
being parked inside is much better than being outside, you dont have to worry about water getting into the engine or other components to destroy them...
l Rails look good. P&B should be ok with that height of rail. Whats on top of the hood????
No pup motor is a good thing. The later ones were known as "buzz bombs". Way to high operating rpm and were prone to grenading. Factory direct electric start was an option.
Looks like an extra hydraulic tank for some reason
Good question. Hadn't noticed it,
What the...????
I bet she lights up without much trouble.
By what I see, is a old AG tractor converted with add ons for a dozer. Would be interesting to see fully up and running.
offtop Excuse me, why such a love for old bulldozers in America? Often I read this forum and I am very surprised. The construction machine has its own resource associated with the payback, then it is simply recycled. Repair and maintenance of such equipment is not economically justifiable.
Not just old tractors but old cars, boats, motorcycles and most anything that was made with quality before the throw away world came to be. Most of the old dozers are more of a hobby and don't see front line usage. People would rather get them running again rather than haul to the scrap yard to be remelted
well as a hobby equipment owner..2 words..NO COMPUTERS..........the electronics in the new machines cost BIG $$$$ to fix when they go down....
With this I agree! But progress does not stand still. For example, in Russia, it is difficult to find a bulldozer (over 20 tons) older than 15-20 years.
Not wanting to give offence but based on personal experience of working in Russia (although it was some years ago) I would say that is probably a combination of poor quality machinery and poor maintenance.
))) All OK! We do not particularly regret construction equipment. It is a fact.
Sanya, here's an example of an older D4 built in 1966 so it's 52 years old. I bought it for limited use ranch duty for a fraction of what a current or even 20 year old D4 would cost. Sometimes old equipment makes financial sense.
The economic justification for obsolete equipment does not come from moving more tons per manhour/fuel/repair$/shift than a new machine. It comes from extremely low: depreciation, fixed costs, complexity of repair. The high costs associated with a new machine don't work for a remote farm that would have high costs to haul a rented machine in for a short project. Or intermittent use throughout the years. Or a homeowner/hobbyist with continual projects. Or a small contractor serving these type of customers.
Does the economic justification for buying new figure in the risk of heart attacks and strokes from seeing repair bills out of warranty, or worry about missing deadlines because of breakdowns at the worst possible time?
Yes ... Old school paid for iron that a feller can fix on a job site looks better all the time . We rented a 2016 model New Holland rubber track CTL on a job just to try out the future . Pretty nice machine until the hydro functions locked up all the sudden from some malfunction ? Dealer sent a wrench out & he said it was due to dirt & mud getting in to the control panel under the seat .... Sorry fellers ..... I aint interested in dropping 50 grand on a piece of crap that shuts down with a little dirt under the seat . Good lord ...... Drop a man on the moon in 1969 and cant build an excavating machine today that cant handle a little dirt & mud .... *** ! Sticking with the old iron .
Men! I congratulate the holiday! Today we celebrate the end date of WW2. On the topic - I talk mainly with gold, diamond miners and large enterprises for the extraction of coal and stone. Places where heavy conditions for machinery. They say if the bulldozer has worked on depreciation and its further work requires costs, it is easier to sell or write off and buy a new one. An old construction machine has long been in repair, every day a lot of money is worth repairing. With Chinese technology the situation is this - buy 3 bulldozers instead of 2. One donor.
End of the war in Europe. I had relatives who fought in the East who always seem to be forgotten.
sorry, in Europe. Incorrectly expressed. we celebrate this day. for us it is of great importance.
No problem
You need something like the 1989 Case 1845C that they had at the company I worked for,nothing high tech about it. Sure it would snap a drive chain every so often and maybe a hub bearing too. But after 26 years of doing clean up work in the stone quarry it was still working. Majority of breakdowns were operator inflicted, not because some little sensor got some mud splashed on it! Now I can agree there is a place for all this modern technology when you can justify having a well trained staff with all the tools to trouble shoot problems, but if I was in need of a small front end loader on a farm I would much rather have an old 966C Cat than a 980K Cat with more computers in it than the rocket that went to the moon!
Good call Ken ! We run a late 1990's Deere 8875 skid with over tire tracks with backhoe attachment . Been a pretty good machine over the years and good earner . Going to keep it for the duration . Funny part of the story on the New Holland CTL rental was we finished the job with a Ford 545 skip loader . Those old 545's kick ass & don't complain on a job site .
Depending on what you are doing with equipment, old sometimes makes better sense moneywise. I am developing my own property for subdividing later for retirement and have acquired over the years all the machinery to do everything myself. Newest piece is a 2010 JD 318 skidsteer(too many electronics issues) and oldest is 1974 D8H dozer(simple and big). As well as graders, excavators, loader and packers. The amount of work they have already done for me is at least or greater than what I paid for them and I can still sell them for same or more when finished. Besides they still have lots more to accomplish. Buying new in this situation makes 0 economic sense. Depreciation alone would kill it. Weekend warrior, fair weather operator here. Working machine for a living billing out hours everyday, that is a different story. Newer, faster, more comfortable machines make sense, that being said, new versions of my older iron with fewer wires would probably make a lot of contractors very happy as well.
I celebrate with you! Such a terrible loss to humanity.