Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

old d4 trackloader parts

foley ยท 2009-07-20 14:38

i have an old d4 cat trackloader that i drug out of the weeds and found out that the engine was stuck drained the oil through the inspection port found alot of antifreeze and then pulled the head i have 1 cracked liner and one other that i think is pretty rust pitted i was looking for a good supplier for aftermarket parts this thing is in pretty bad shape so i dont want to spend much moneyif possible i am an experienced diesel mechanic so the overhaul doesnt scare me its the price of oem cat parts i have been told that this machine is around a 1952 its got a 7u serial no on an id plate on the block any information would be helpful

Replies6
  1. #1spitzair2009-07-20 21:28

    I've never seen an old D4 configured with that style of loader... Looks to me like you found a real rare one... When I needed some parts for my 9U D6 I dealt with Ed Miller in Spokane, Wa, he had everything under the sun for an old cat and was very reasonably priced! It's been some time since I dealt with him and have unfortunately lost his contact info but I'm sure somebody on here would have it. Sorry I can't be of any more help. Good luck and have fun with the project!

  2. #2foley2009-07-23 14:26

    progress kindof i got it torn apart it sounds like i can get aftermarket parts for this old girl but they are still not cheap sleeve and piston $175 rod bearings $27 i said that if i could get thisthing goin for $1500 +- i would fix it but i dont know if that is possible until i get the engine all the way apart i cont inframe oh because the loader crossmember is under the oil pan:Banghead great engineering but sometime i will see if its salvagable or if its for sale:beatsme

  3. #3sgonyo2009-07-23 18:29

    You may want to check on the Antique Caterpillar (AMOCO) site for a used engine, 7U series D4s were very popular. The loader is an aftermarket attachment. Do you know who manufactored it? I have 2 - HT4 loaders which are a D4 with a Trackson loader attachment.

  4. #4stumpjumper832009-07-24 12:52

    1 + for amoco, alot of people with even more info over there.

  5. #5ianoz2009-07-25 01:37

    Hi ,There is also another cat forum Antque caterpillar machinery enthusiats that is very good also.ian.

  6. #6Komatsu 1502009-07-25 08:14

    The link: http://www.acmocbb.org/ACMOC_BB/