Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old Deere 310 engine help, please!!!

dug325 ยท 2013-06-16 11:29

I have recently joined, but have been reading here for a while now. The knowledge here is amazing, hopefully some of the JD guys can help me with our old 310 TLB. Ive wrenched for many years, most as millwright and marine mech. BUT... I have never worked on any JD equipment or backhoe for that matter. Not to worried about the size or hydraulics though, we'll go slow and one problem at a time! Our early 70's 310 for the farm, threw #3 rod, thats the condition we got it in. Did quick patch up and got her running and all hyd systems and strength were great. Since all was well with it, have decided to repair engine properly. Looking at block, can see remains of a previous repair to #3 block area. so... Does anyone know if these engines (3-164 Diesel) were prone to throwing rods(esp. #3?) or had poor lube issues or plugging etc.? Is that one of the reasons they went to the 4 cyl? Its only going to see light work on the farm, but still would like to learn before me and my boys start! If we put a kit in it, properly... any ideas of what kind of service you have gotten out of these engines over the years? Or, are there any other diesels that would bolt in, that at the end of the day may be a better fix or easier to find? And, a quick splitting question. Is it worth considering pulling the front end with the front bucket assy. left attached and blocked up? It would seem that it'd be safer and cleaner to pull the machine back out of it. It has full cab, was looking at weight distribution over axle with front end and loader gone and hoe hanging on the back! Any thoughts? I know shes old, but if anybody has any thoughts, we'd appreciate any help at all. Thanks Dug

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2013-06-16 13:45

    No idea on the engine, maybe you could ask on a JD/green forum where there might be more people with experience with this engine in ag tractors or other applications? If you're worried about the rest of the tractor being unstable when you pull the engine, put the stablilizers down and stretch out the hoe and set it down. You'd still block it and chain it, but then there would be much less weight "up in the air".

  2. #2dug3252013-06-16 20:57

    Thanks alot for the thoughts Delmer, I'll also look around for a JD ag forum, and try there as well.

  3. #3tuney4432013-06-16 23:10

    I had that 3 banger in my JD 350C dozer and it was an excellent motor,I never had any problems nor did the few people I knew who had them also.

  4. #4wrwtexan2013-06-17 00:29

    I have a 310A which I had to pull engine and later the center section out of also. It had been run low on oil and spun a rod bearing, and later found out shuttle shift clutch seals were cut. I set the hoe and outriggers down, put a screw jack under bell housing, chained the loader up to the cab, pulled the front end (axle, radiator support, and front bolster all as one unit), then set engine out. Not really a bad job. The engine is as best I can tell about he same (minus balancer for 4 cylinders) all the way up to the six hole. I run orange and am not fond of green, but my experience is they are tough, well built engines. Previous maintenance, as was the case with ours had not been the best and will kill any color.

  5. #5dug3252013-07-01 09:43

    Sorry its been so long to reply all, like everyone here, to much to do...not enough time! So in the mean time, we've pull the engine ans a friends pressure checking the oil gallery, just to make sure no block problems. Opted to unpin the cyls and flipped the loader over forward right from the machine. Thought it might be a little easier to work with it not in the way to pick the engine. Left enough room to roll the front axle assy ahead, block and lean on bucket. left enough room to slide engine out. Outriggers down, hoe down, blocked rear frame, blocked front side rails, nothing moved at all. Not that bad a job, took about 3-4 hrs with the help of a buddies small ford loader. Didnt know what else I'd find once in there, but now I've got a reverser with some pretty bad splines on the clutch shaft as well. So if anybody can help, we'll also be looking for a replacement 20 spline shaft. Old machines!.. I dont want to look too hard, but does anyone have any thoughts on while shes still split apart... other things to check? Thanks for the thoughts, wrwtexan, just happened to run across this "green/yellow" but we have lots of orange in the area as well.