Surprise!! when replacing the floor on my 580K I found a dipstick between the swing peddles. :drinkupIn the case manual it says to use case oil "#XYZ???" and no alternate, but I'm not close to a case dealer, is there another brand name oil safe to use? Thanks
Contact your local fuel and oil wholesaler. They will have a cross reference from the case fluid to something they carry. That's what I do on a regular basis.
On the Case IH forum there was a poster who went by the handle "Brokengun". He used a oil by a shortline company and he swears that the formula unbonded the lining from every lined plate in his transmission, brakes and PTO. If you were to ask him he would recommend you stay with Case HYTran Ultra. I am not commenting on this to be controversial as there are those who think oil is oil and all brands are created equal. I believe that man said it cost him on the order of $6000. 00 to replace damaged lined plates in a 1370 Case ag tractor. I have also worked for the same dealer fo going on 51 years and can attest to the superiority of Hy Tran Ultra. As a side note, I would be comfortable with you using Hy Gard by John Deere as I believe it to be on a par with HTU.
I haven't found any oil company that lists an equivalent to Hy Tran Ultra, and I looked a lot during that year when I was 250 miles from a Case dealer (before Hill Equipment took over).
Is the TCH fluid now the Hy-Tran? The next time you are in Tractor Supply read the label on this stuff. Like $35 for a 5 gallon bucket locally. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/travellerreg;-universal-tractor-trans-hydraulic-fluid-2-gal I have been using it but now the local store was out or stopped stocking it. What they had in stock was on sale and was this.. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/xtremereg;-tractor-hydraulic--transmission-fluid-5-gal I have used this and decided I liked the other better. They also have the gear oil. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...i-purpose-gear-oil-85w-140-5-gal?cm_vc=-10005
Ok, more confused now. I called the case dealer today to get a pail of oil shipped down and he said to just use 80/90 gear oil????? I.m thinking he was just busy and didn't get my ser# right. My ser # is JJG00254## (can"t read the last digets) can anyone tell me the year of this machine?? Thanks again.
If your machine has a dipstick back by the swing tower DO NOT use 90 wt. gear oil, It's obvious the Case dealer you spoke to has idiots for personell. HyTran Ultra is the only oil that is recommended for that transaxle. For info's sake only, that transaxle is just the rear section of the Maxxum Ag tractor line. Mel
thanks Mel, I'll get the HyTrans oil.........
In my part of the world the viscosity / or grade of any oil is very important for cold weather use. The Tractor Supply oil only says that is a multi -viscosity weight. Makes me wonder what it is. A local farm supply store similar to Tractor Supply sells the Extreme brand of in the yellow bucket. The Extreme brand oil does not even state what the weight or viscosity is. No one in the store knew what it was. I purchased 10 gallons of it a couple of years ago and used it. I sent an email to the company that had their name on the pail to ask what weight it was. I promptly received a reply stating that it was the same as SAE 30wt. That was the end of my use of it. Other stores may sell different weights in the Xtreme brand. I don't know , that was my experience with that particular store. Here is a link to the Cross Oil company's description of that particular oil they market. http://www.crossoil.com/xtreme_tractor_fluids.php
Most any universal tractor trans fluid will work. An SAE GEAR 80 (not to be confused with a SAE motor oil spec) is the right viscosity but is missing the friction modifier that Case needs. You need the friction modifier for the wet clutch/brake. The Case 1H Hy Trans and Case PTF specs are a bit more stringent then the John Deer & CAT TO2 spec, mostly to do with temp range if I remember right. You dont need to pay the extra cash to get Case oil from Case, it is not made by Case but is a private label. Any reputable lube company that meets the 1H Hy Trans spec will work. I know Belray, Valvoline, and Pennzoil all make a product that meet the specs. If I were looking for information regarding any lube I would not ask tractor supply. Google is your friend. Whenever you question a lube google the name of the oil pds (product data sheet) If the info isnt on the pds then it is safe to assume its not what your looking for.
Does anyone know if the John Deere "Hy Gard" or "Low Viscosity Hy Gard" is the same as the Case Hy Tran? I use the Low V stuff in my JD mowers; it's like $20/gallon, but still may be less than the Case price. I think I will still use the Tractor Supply stuff in my 580SE hyd system and my transaxle uses gear oil because I have dry brakes. But in my transmission I am a tad nervous with the TS "universal" fluid. It just takes ~3 gallons or so.
Hygard will work just fine http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US...raulic/transmission_oil/transmission_oil.page
I agree with Blitz 38 on both posts, but remember the 580K below 20,000 ser# really only has a direct drive type trans,which is what the Case dealer was probably thinking--but it does have wet brakes,so that won't fly as we all know. The later than 20,000 ser# or Phase II , III K, and Super K models had the clutch type trans and would be more critical to your choice of oil. That Hy-gard will do you a fine job
My experience with Hy Trans Ultra, is that it is not all that more expensive than other main stream oil companies. Colemans list a 5gal pail @ $76.60. The phase 3 transaxle will need 50lts on a service & 60lt on an overhaul. When changing the oil you will need to add 3 bottles of 402982A2 axle additive - for the wet brakes. I still can't understand why you would walk into a DEERE DEALER & pay a dealer price, to buy oil for a CASE machine & not want to walk into a CASE DEALER to do the same?? :beatsme There are aftermarket oils that will run in the transaxle - But there is no EXCACT equivalent for HY Trans Ultra (MS 1209) - it is specially formulated, under license, for CNH.
Viscosity oil blends Case's Akcela line of oils including Hy Tran Ultra. I just visited their website and you can look at their products. They have made Case's oils for years. Viscosity is located in Ill. The 580E powershuttle holds less than two gallon. I have seen "competetive" oils cause a foaming and on one notable occasion a 450 Case loader transmission squeal loudly with one of the major players oil, A change to HTU quited it right down. Thank you alrman, I never could understand the rationale of cutting corners in something as important as the lifebood of the hydraulic and gear lubing requirements of something as costly to repair as powershuttles and hydraulic systems. When I stated that I would not be averse to someone using Hy Gard in their system I was not looking at a cost factor, rather the quality of the product. alrman, you know my history having worked on this stuff since 1962 at the same dealership and I've seen a lot of the results of inferior products use and been threatned with lawsuit for telling my customers not to use certain products. I'm glad to be in the same camp with you on this issue. I also believe in supporting the companies whose equipment you run, if you won't support them don't take your hat off and scratch your head and wonder why they went out of business when you see a for sale sign and the doors locked, yes I am a local dealer man and proud of it. Mel
I do sometimes go to a Deere or cat dealer for case parts, just cause Deere is 11 miles west, Cat is 13 miles east, and Case is 82 south. I always use Hy Tran Ultra in my 580sk transmission, though I use hydraulic oil from my bulk tank, which is top quality. One other important point with HTU is that it is formulated to be very tolerant of water.
well, made the drive down south to the case dealer and got my hy trans ultra, thanks for the help (again!!) strange part was it took some convincing to get it, the counter guy was convinced that gear oil would do. even after a tractor description (roof colour, gear shift location, if front hubs had "case"cast in them, serial number, and a couple pictures) I took all your fella's advice and insisted on Hy Trans, so thanks again.
For either Deere or Case you are paying for the name, it is private label made by a lubricant manufacturer. If it meets the CASE 1H and they have it listed in their specs it needs to be meet those standards, just like the Case. Quite a few of the aftermarket oils that I am familiar with go above and beyond what Case calls for. It bugs me that Case has a recommended additive, thats them saying "Our oil that we sell you isnt good enough, you need to buy this extra one" Seems like marketing snake oil sales to me.
It's mostly logistics for me and shipping for the heavy buckets. My nearest Case dealer is 50 miles away and wants about $ 120 a bucket. JD is 3 miles across town.
Not to hijack the thread, but it was said" When changing the oil you will need to add 3 bottles of 402982A2 axle additive - for the wet brakes. " Is this only for the phase 3 transaxle or does this also include the Phase 1 with wet brakes
Correct, only for phase 3 transaxles, using HTU. The transaxle fluid you will buy from CNH for the series 1 models is a much heavier 80/140 oil, with the friction modifiers & anti squark already added. + it is a heck more expensive ..........
The question I still have is concerning TCH fluid for my 580SE transmission. (8 quarts) A dealer 30 miles from me does have 3 gallons in stock. ($24.95/gallon) Someone told me the HTU replaced the TCH, but it is apparently still available John Deere Hy Gard is just down the road for $18.95/gallon. So, which one should I use? I have the Tractor Supply stuff in there now and about to change the oil cooler so I want to change it all again.
A bit late to teh party but I had a similar issue. After adding a few hydraulic attachments I needed to top off my reservoir. The stuff I needed was only sold in a 50 Gallon drum to the USA. After thinking it was a snow job, I verified this with the tractor manufacturer. So I went on teh hunt for equivalents or better thans. The Manufacturer was at least nice enough to tell me it was equivalent to 46T by Shell. Obviosly he was telling be it was Relabeled Shell Telluis 46T. I found the Shell spec, only to find they renamed the stuff ( SV V46). Then I hunted for equivalents of that. Here's some of my homework. Notice the 'earlweb' URL . I was able to plug in my tractor and they gave me a readout of all their equivalent fluids for the tractor. After getting the Shell , Chevron and Mobil equivalents I was able to find someone fairly local that sold what I needed. I wish the Tractor manufacturers would not hold this info so close to the vest OR at least not mark up the prices so high that people like us search elsewhere. http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140002044283_6623.pdf http://docs.mystiklubes.com/msds_pi/M20038.pdf http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENINDMOMobil_DTE_10_Excel.aspx http://ew5.earlweb.com/recommendati...1433&site=149®ion=154&language=5&brand=130
In the power shuttle, I have always used (inc. time spent @ JIC) 68 hyd oil.
Are you just antagonizing me? :tong You bring up this and I google it and the price keeps going up. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ULTRA-LUBE-ISO-Hydraulic-Oil-6LCW1 Grainger is not the cheapest place to get fluids, but this is about $200 for a 5 gallon bucket on other places... I thought $100 for a bucket of Hy Gard was high.
Grainier doesn't seem to want me to see that, but regular AW 68 hydraulic oil is what I use, and it is $39/bucket, or $6.30/ gallon pumped into my trailer mounted bulk tank at my local distributor.
Like mitch says, 68 is probably the cheapest oil I buy - That price from grainger is waaaay over the top.
Thesedammedoilpeople... They mix it up and sell it under so many names and numbers, it's hard for me to understand the differences. Now I see this at TSC with the Mystic name. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/mystikreg;-pl-aw-hydraulic-oil-iso-68-2-gal#desc-tab So AW 68 hyd oil ranges from $6 to $60 per gallon. I am surprised that someone has not told me to use ATF fluid in the transmission(power shuttle.) It just takes 2 gallons so I am not that hung up on the cost; I am just worried about the shuttle or torque converter in general failing that I want to use whatever would be the best choice. The John Deere folks are kinda cocky. When I asked them about the Hy Gard to replace Hy Tran Ultra they are quick to point out that Hy-Gard is WAY BETTER... Everyone you talk to says theirs is "way better...good stuff"
I'm not defending grainger, they're not an oil company and will always cost more but to be fair that's biodegradable hydraulic oil, it will always be expensive.
If you inquire with Exxon they suggest using Mobil 424 to replace the Hy Tran Ultra. Grainger sells it, but it's higher that the Case HTU. Grainger is NOT the place to buy oil, although they sell lots of it. I did find some Mobil 424 for maybe $14 a gallon. A 55 gallon drum is about $ 655 delivered. I just add this to the discussion in case someone looks into it later as a possibility to research. (I actually put JD Hy Gard in mine.) http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobilfluid_424.aspx http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/MO...4ZF29&ef_id=UXz45QAABQvrc23J:20130726132731:s
Interesting read, when I serviced my 580SK I found a huge reduction in getting a 205L from my Mobil dealer in MobilFluid 424 compared to the Hytrans Ultra. It seems to be working really well, the brakes are smooth, the filter suction is clear after 400 hours and the hydraulics are also excellent.
So Mobil 424 is better than case hytran? My new to me 580sk is coming up on needing the hyd. And trans fluid replaced. It's a phase 3 with the f n r on the column. I was originally just thinking of biting the bullet and replacing all of the fluids with the case hytran. I believe it was all universal tractor hyd. Oil when I bought it. I'd like to get the best possible fluids in it so I can keep using this backhoe for many years. Also the transaxle sounds expensive to fix.
Hytran, Mobil 424, JD are all hydraulic fluids with a friction modifier for wet brake/clutch. All have a very similar adpack in them. Mobil says it meets or exceeds Hytran spec. Looking at the data sheet it close to the same thing as the Hytran. If heat is your main concern you should look into a PAO, full synthetic it should reduce heat as long as it is mechanically sound. Royal Purple has product that is pretty hard to beat for performance Syntractor.....
Ouch that rp is about $200 a pail... maybe that would be a good fluid just to run in my transmission/axles. I believe the hydraulic system is about 29 gal so I wouldn't want to buy 30 + gal of the syntractor. Anyone know how much the transaxle and front axle will take? I just want to protect the expensive transaxle. I'd like to at least put something in that is as good as hytran or better. The rp stiff is a little pricey.
Found the transaxle to hold 47.6qts so that's still 12 gal. I'm going to look for mobil 424 fluid. I may just go with case hytran ultra, because the rp is too expensive and I can't find any other oil the is better than the hytran for sure. The dealership gave me 5 gal of eni: super tractor plus with it. That'd be fine in the hydraulic system, but Idt I'd be satisfied with that in the transaxle.
Here's the fluid I bought. Seems like good stuff. Said tons of farmers run the stuff. Meets a lot of specifications. Hope it'll be ok.
Bump. New member here with a new to me 1991 Case 580K with about 4600 hours. I pulled the dipstick between the foot pedals and the transaxle fluid is very low. Not showing on the dipstick. I've read this and countless other threads and am still very confused as to what fluid to put in there. The manual says I need Case Hy Trans Plus. I plan on doing all filters and fluids this spring. I live 1.5 hours from a Case dealer but 5 minutes from a large, busy heavy equipment rental and repair shop so I'll see what they say tomorrow. Which easily accessible fluid do I use? Is there a specific standard to look for?
I used Walmart as well as a couple others (universal) Trans Hydraulic fluid and never had a problem 12,000 hrs. on the hoe when I sold it.
Hi, can you help me please? 1988 Case 580K backhoe. What type of transaxle fluid do I buy? Brand? How much does it hold? I'm told "hydraulic fluid with friction modifier for wet brakes" is what I need. Appreciate any help.
Welcome to HEF, nicoleg !
@nicoleg sorry for slow reply, did you get this sorted? Just need to confirm that the machine serial number is less than JJG0020000 or if the 4sp gear lever is coming up from the floor & not the dash.