Bigger Dig They had the Big Dig 5 years ago, this one promises to be even bigger. Near Concordia, KS. About 130 miles north of Wichita, KS, at 1151Hawk Rd. Glasco, KS. Steam engines and dirt equipment. The dirt equipment will be moving dirt, and the steam traction engines will be plowing. Facebook www.facebook.com I plan on being there Saturday, and most likely Sunday, and possibly Friday.
I was going to be there Saturday and possibly Friday but plans changed and I can't make it. Really disappointing...
I'd be a bit afraid of those steamers, too many stories about them. Though I have been in a live running steam locomotive a few times in highschool days, oh and EMD switchers too. Yeah no fear at that age .
Kansas has strict licensing laws for what are called historic boilers, as well as the engineers that operate them. The licensing started in 1976, and has been copied by several other states. All boilers will have a yearly hydrotest, ultrasonic thickness testing, pressure gauge calibration, and pressure relief valve test. This is an expensive hobby. There will be at least two of the traction engines there with brand new boilers.
How did "The Bigger Dig" go? Has been a hot summer, so guessing hot? Hope I can make the next one.
It was Kansas in August at its finest. Hot, dry, windy, and dirty. Good crowds, lots of good exhibits. Several unique pieces operating. There was an Allis 41B operating next to this TC12. The biggest horses available at the time from two different decades. An honest-to-god steam shovel in operation. The older boy in the photo had taken a 2 day steam training class and was working on hours for a steam license. A steam powered concrete mixer. Steam is an expensive hobby. The mixer had a brand new boiler.
Those Euclid TC12 dozers are kind of neat!
I think someone volunteered to fix a leaking transmission on the TC12 that is part of the HCEA collection here in Alberta. Nobody really wanted to climb into the belly of it. I climbed up on it in the building where it's parked. Pretty neat machine. It was sitting with a few old restored D8's, Cletrac's, a large Oliver dozer, Tournapulls and other old heavy equipment. All really neat!
We own 1/2 of one (a C6 lol!)