Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old Dodge

catskinner 10 ยท 2024-01-01 16:18

Happy New Year Good friend of mine has this beauty. 74 Big Horn Tom

Replies9
  1. #1Truck Shop2024-01-01 16:59

    Roughly 1400 built--That one Cummins 350 powered?

  2. #2mowingman2024-01-01 17:14

    Boy, there are not many of those around nowadays. I believe they used a Power Giant cab on those. Beautiful rig.

  3. #3catskinner 102024-01-01 20:06

    According to Dodge 261 built between 1973 and 1975 Yes was a NTC 350 13 speed, now sports a big cam 3 400, everything else is original THX

  4. #4Truck Shop2024-01-01 20:20

    Correct, I looked it up and never got back to change.

  5. #5catskinner 102024-01-01 20:31

    Your right Jeff With a different dash panel and tweaks to the cowl. Happy new year

  6. #6Truck Shop2024-01-01 20:36

    What killed it before it got started, no dealer support or a parts network. *

  7. #7catskinner 102024-01-01 22:13

    From what I can see the big three were already loosing ground tp Pete.KW.Frightline, etc. and this model competed directly with KW and Peterbilt wasn't much interest I assume? And the new safety regs. coming, especially anti-lock brakes Dodge pulled the plug. Not sure if you remember or were aware, but the first anti-lock air brakes were a Nightmare on the late seventies and early eighties class 8 trucks. I'm sure other factors played a roll, and also I guess the powers to be at Chrysler were already planning the death of there medium and heavy truck line. Pretty much done by the early eighties, with Ford and GM not lasting much longer.

  8. #8Truck Shop2024-01-02 08:53

    I've written about the early Bendix air brake/ABS debacle, you probably should have posted this under Memories for Old Truckers in Old Iron threads. * I also drove trucks that had that system and disabled with side cutters.

  9. #91693TA2024-01-02 09:16

    I have two trucks with that system diked off. It was so bad they legally let it be disabled.