Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 3406C engine Code 23

Norcal wrench530 ยท 2023-12-28 21:32

Working on a 1993 Kenworth with a 3406C, having power loss issues intermittently, runs like a raped ape then feels like its got 50horses to quote the customer. Im not too familiar with this older system I did however find that Code 23 is related to the timing position sensor if what I found is correct?, now what i'm after is are there any ways to test this sensor and if necessary replace it? I did stumble upon that it looks like the old ECAP machine is required to calibrate sensor position. hoping you CAT guys out there might have a trick or two to throw my way. thanks!

Replies3
  1. #1Truck Shop2023-12-28 22:04

    3406C--On the left of the front structure is a cone shaped cover it should have a harness running to it IIRC. Inside is the advance mechanism for the fuel system. There is a plastic arm IIRC that can break, when it does it's a low power issue. This system is also controlled by oil pressure IIRC. Last of these I worked on was 1998.

  2. #2Norcal wrench5302023-12-28 22:43

    Thank You Truck Shop!

  3. #3Norcal wrench5302024-01-04 12:18

    Update: got hands on the front of the engine and found that previous mechanic pinched the 5 wire harness under the cone shaped cover. The sensor power wires were grounding out on the timing cover.