Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

old dozer recommendations under $10k to spend

kyaabo · 2026-09-26 18:51

As the title states, I've got $10k to spend on an older dozer, which will be used to clean up existing logging trails that are now overgrown and no longer smooth. I have a case 480e backhoe but it would take forever to do them with the hoe (approx 2 miles of trails). Thoughts?

Replies26
  1. #1Welder Dave2026-09-26 19:45

    Will be very hard to find a dozer that won't need a ton of expensive repairs. Renting might be a better option.

  2. #2kyaabo2026-09-26 20:05

    I'm a mechanic by trade so I can do repairs myself, although never dealt with a dozer. Saw a Nortrac 350 XT for sale locally which has mixed reviews. I'll look into the renting option, although I only really have weekends to work on the trails.

  3. #3AMBMike2026-09-26 20:17

    HeavyEquipmentForums Try reaching out to @Fordman . Who knows? This could work...

  4. #4Welder Dave2026-09-26 21:08

    Maybe but I think Fordman's might be a little over $10K. It's worth it to pay a little more. That's a dozer I'd sure consider if I was in the market for one. With any crawler it's not just standard mechanic stuff you have to deal with. If the undercarriage is shot or needs any work is big $$$$ to fix.

  5. #5kyaabo2026-09-26 21:13

    Agree undercarriage condition is the first thing I'd look at

  6. #6Deere500a2026-09-27 10:11

    Check Craigslist .

  7. #7CM19952026-09-27 13:06

    That dozer needs a ROPS/FOPS not that dinky sunshade but looks like a decent old tractor for the money.

  8. #8Deere500a2026-09-27 14:31

    Home use should be fine,D's end generation run had factory ROPs but that style pipe shade think it's a Japanese D4.

  9. #9Welder Dave2026-09-27 15:04

    If there's trees and bush he'll be clearing definitely needs a stronger ROPS.

  10. #10Deere500a2026-09-27 15:25

    Past it had a part # the "falling object canopy" Cat 6k2627. Woods work need screens at last on the back

  11. #11Tones2026-09-27 17:57

    More than anything else that dozer needs the guard beside the engine fitted. Bet the belly pan is chockers.

  12. #12CM19952026-09-27 18:39

    My great uncle died when his JD 350 loader turned over on him with no ROPS. He was using it at "home."

  13. #13Deere500a2026-09-28 11:10

    Equipment is dangerous. He's looking to clear a road not trailblaze though the Catskills mountains. He could do it with a little 40yr old hoe doesn't sound bad. Famous CDF rollover seatbelt on but had a bracket punch his skull as his head hit the ROPS post.

  14. #14kyaabo2026-09-28 16:13

    I'll be chipping away with my 480E until I find something that comes along for around $10k

  15. #15CM19952026-09-28 18:32

    Yep equipment is dangerous. Like flipping a JD 350 over in your cow pasture in Hamilton, AL and dying.

  16. #16AMBMike2026-09-28 19:58

    It's always the little stuff you do at home that gets you...

  17. #17BC Placer gold2026-09-28 20:45

    I think you could do better. Personally I would pass (no offense) but seeing that ‘canopy cover’ would be an immediate disqualification…trees and tree work can be extremely dangerous (even with sweeps; proper caging)

  18. #18kyaabo2026-09-28 21:32

    Who? I haven’t posted any dozers I’m interested in.

  19. #19materthegreater2026-09-29 07:28

    International TD8 bulldozer - heavy equipment - by owner - sale - craigslist Runs and works, currently located at a neighboring farm and shown only by appointment 6 way blade works, needs some work-steering issue Undercarriage at about half life Accepting reasonable offers... www.craigslist.org

  20. #20DDoug2026-09-29 09:06

    Weld up a new one....

  21. #21Welder Dave2026-09-29 13:33

    Making a decent ROPS is a pretty substantial project. You need heavy tubing and a qualified welder. If someone didn't have fabrication and welding skills would need to hire a welder. This would be OK but a lot of people would think that's too much money and want to do it themself. They end up with something very marginal at best. I've had trees fall on the ROPS. You need something well made.

  22. #22BC Placer gold2026-09-29 13:42

    I was clearing a mining cut with a Hitachi EX270 when a large dead spruce (notoriously brittle) came down on top of heavy logging cage… No damage or injury…. Safety cannot be underestimated!

  23. #23reganj2026-09-29 20:59

    Maybe I missed someone saying this, Why not rent??? You may get a 10k dozer that will do what you want it to but it may break down and cost you 10k plus to repair. If the rented dozer breaks down, they are on the hook. Hope this is helpful.

  24. #24kyaabo2026-09-30 21:04

    I've got 2 miles of trails at the cabin I'm not going to finish the project in a weekend or even a week with PTO from work if I rent a dozer. This is more of a long term project when time permits and in a couple weeks until next may were are going to be in the "mud season" in upstate NY

  25. #25chidog2026-10-01 01:26

    Yeah dozers in the woods and clearing very hazardous, I've had many close calls, you need your head on a swivel and eyes every where. The one that is the big surprise is when the track kicks up a small but good size log from the side that flys at you. The machines I ran mostly had no side screens, the most dangerous are vine maples. The type of dozer work that really keeps you on your toes is pushing demolitioned rebar filled concrete, you have to protect you and the machine hugely.

  26. #26CM19952026-10-01 09:34

    No doubt. I was pushing some rebar protruding concrete from a gas station demo at the dump with our D5G. It was early winter with a mist of rain where the windows were fogging up. Should've just stopped but trying to keep the trucks rolling in and the job going. Trucking along with a blade full of concrete chunks and all the sudden "POW"! At first I thought someone was shooting at me until I saw the 1/2" piece of rebar sticking through the little window directly in front of the operators seat. Fortunately the glass was laminated and didn't shower me in the cab. Gotta be careful **** sneaks up on you.