Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD450G with Torque Converter

doghead · 2026-09-26 12:52

I recently purchased a JD450G. It has pedal steering and a torque converter. When I put it in gear(forward or reverse), it will start moving unless both pedals are pressed down at an idle. I haven’t checked the engine rpm at idle yet(but it does not seem too high). With the blade in contact with the ground, it will move as soon as it’s put into gear.(at idle) Is this normal? I have read the operators manual. I’m still not sure if I am supposed to put it in neutral (even at idle) if I want to stop completely, or if I should be able to simply depress the decelerator to stop motion in gear (without needing to depress the center of the steering pedals to brake) It does stop motion with the decelerator pressed and both pedals depressed. But to me it feels like it wants to keep driving. I’m wondering if lowering the idle might feel more “normal” to me, or if this is just how this Machine operates.

Replies7
  1. #1Dave Neubert2026-09-26 14:50

    If you bury the blade will it stall or slow the engine down

  2. #2doghead2026-09-26 16:40

    It will not stall. The engine does not slow down when the blade gets into the ground. I havent tried burying the blade, because I can stop it with the brakes. I’ll try that , but it will be another week before I get to it again.

  3. #3doghead2026-09-26 16:47

    These pages are from the operators manual.

  4. #4doghead2026-09-26 16:47
  5. #5Tones2026-09-26 16:59

    That sounds like a typical powershift transmission. Every machine I've been operating was the same in this regard irrespective of type or breed especially in 1st gear. Just use the break pedal a bit more.

  6. #6Welder Dave2026-09-26 19:54

    That seems odd. On my Cat 931B you need to give some throttle to get it to move. If it's colder weather takes quite a bit of throttle until it's warmed up to operating temp. but at idle it won't move on level ground.

  7. #7doghead2026-09-26 20:17

    The second from last post by “Wilko” , explains what I would have expected the operation to be like. HeavyEquipmentForums “opposed to a torque converter model which has to be revved up a bit to move. (like an auto trans in a car”