Looking at an old 1971 Ford F750 grain truck. Might make a handy brush hauler, but it needs a lot of TLC. Top of distributor and rotor are supposed to be bad and seller is not sure what engine it is. He says it is an old big block Ford engine of some type I have no idea either and there are no tags or info stickers on the old V8 engine. Can anyone tell me from the following info on the data plate on truck door? "199HP @ 3800RPM" Thanks, Jeff
the 390 was a common choice as well as a 428, if you found some numbers we could really help
VIN number should decode I would think. My guess at 199hp would be a 361
If it is a ford V8 from the 70s they all have the same cap and rotor. I have never seen a 428 in a f750 but i havent saw evey thing. It probable is a 391. Ford made several engines that were exactly the same on the out side.
I have an old Motors Truck manual from 1973 or so, it says that the F750 only used the 361 engine from 64 to 73. However the book lists the horsepower rating for that engine in 1971 as 210 HP @ 4000 RPM. I didn't see ANY engine listed as having 199 HP, so kinda confusing, but if the door says 199 I would be willing to believe that. On the Data Plate in the upper left corner there is a 10 or so digit number. The fourth digit is a letter, what is it? George
Ford used alot of different sizes of the same engine. 330,331 360,361 390,391 in the f series trucks and they also took this engine and made it into 352 360 390 and 427 428 for cars and pickups. One other thing is the same engine but different truck different year will have different HP. Adding the 1 meet that it had a steel crank with a long front to run a air compresser and it would have heavyer pistons with 4 ring groves. The car engines were FE and the trucks were FT.They were ok engine and worked great in cold weather because a good deal of the gas they use went into makeing heat.
Info on metal plate is as follows The vin number is: F75FVM11606 Model is: F753 199HP@3800RPM D.S.O. 52 ??? 194A Body: D28 This is about all I have to go on. Jeff
The second "F"makes it a 391, like most people thought. Is it a 4 barrel carb?? Book says it would be 235 HP but like I said before, the book could be wrong. George
Thanks for the info. That makes it a little easier, IF, I decide to drag it home. It is going to have to be nearly free for me to take it. Price is at $1200.00 currently. I will not bite until price is uner $500.00. IEven then, it may not be a deal. It needs all 10 tires replaced, $$$$$$$, along with all the other minor repairs. Jeff
It sounds like you would be money ahead looking for a better truck. A customer bought a 67 F600 i think could have been a 650 with a 330 with very low miles for 1200.00. He replaced the front tires and washed it the sell one owner said it had never been washed. I need a truck and can do my own work but it cost to much for tires and you dont know what else it will need.