the dump truck I have is having problems with the differential only one wheel has power to it I tore apart the other side to see if I had a broken axle but it looked fine. was wondering someone could help me on this.
Why do you think it has power to only one wheel? Is it supposed to have a locking or limited slip diff?
If u start out it will spin a little bit on gravel. it doesn't have a locker. so I guess its limited slip, but even when it gets stuck only the passenger wheel spins even if its sunk in the mud. shouldn't the drivers side spin?
If it's just a standard differential, that's the way they work, allowing the wheels to go at different speeds to go around corners. As long as you have good traction, they're fine, but if one wheel slips, you're done. Limited slip, "posi-trac", "Detroit locker" etc. differential systems are supposed to give some drive to the non slipping wheel in these cases, which is their selling point. You may have a brake dragging on the drivers side, or just better tires on the passenger side, making it more likely to spin? If your truck has two rear axles there should be an "interlock" or "inter-axle lock" somewhere on the dash that will lock the power divider between the two axles so you get one wheel on each axle spinning. If you only have one drive axle, ignore this.
To get technical, a standard, or open, differential always puts exactly equal torque, (turning force) to both wheels. Thus, whichever wheel spins easier will spin. A 1987 IH 1900 has an open differential unless it was ordered special for off-road work, or maybe snow. Limited slip and locking differentials have become more common in recent years, but not real common in trucks that size.
alright so it must be an open differential. but for some reason it doesn't matter what I do even I turn to the left in the grass the drivers side still wont spin? is there maybe something stuck inside the differential or its just not working the way its supposed to?
It is working just fine.
Might be something dragging on the left side. Jack both rear wheels up off the ground (chock the front wheels) tranny in neutral, try to turn the left wheel by hand, then the right wheel. I you can turn them both, then try putting the tranny in any gear. You should be able to turn one wheel and the other will turn the opposite direction. I'm guessing a tight brake on one side.
ok ill have to try that. thanks for the help.
You probably have a true Detroit Locker diff, I had an 86 S1800 that was doing the exact same thing. It would get stuck on a banana peel. It was a broken spring inside or something like that. I cant remember exactly which part but your symptoms are the same, always the same side?
yep its always the same side
I would almost bet that's the problem, then. The Detroit locker relies on a couple of coil springs to engage the axle clutches, if one breaks that side will never pull. bad thing is the only way to find out is pull and disassemble the diiferential.
well I guess I got some work ahead of me then.