Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old fuel water separator has a hole in it but the new one doesn’t

Jeremy Whittaker · 2022-11-15 22:47

I went to go replace my fuel/water separator today. I noticed the new one has no hole for the separator and the water retention area at the bottom. My old one did. Is this a manufacturing error or does it just have some holes I can't see somewhere? old: New:

Replies6
  1. #1Coaldust2022-11-15 22:48

    The new one is probably a HE.

  2. #2Jeremy Whittaker2022-11-15 23:17

    I'm not following you. Does this mean it somehow gets the water out through holes in around the perimeter that I can't see?

  3. #3Coaldust2022-11-15 23:31

    High Efficiency. What’s the part#?

  4. #4Billybe2022-11-15 23:36

    Just thinking, bottom portion is sediment bowel, where heavy contaminants drop out of solution. Fuel is lighter then water, and fuel floats and runs through filter leaving water in bottom of bowl. Hope that is helpful.

  5. #5Delmer2022-11-15 23:46

    I've never seen that style of bowl before, obviously the center tube in that bowl is for a check of the filtered fuel, just like the rest of the bowl is to trap water or dirt from the unfiltered side of the filter. I'd guess that they decided the risk of leaking water into the filtered side outweighed any gain from having a check on the filtered fuel, that isn't going to be very easy to see anyway, being in the center of the filter and not having a drain. There should never be water or dirt in that center tube with your old filter, so they deleted that feature with the new feature. All the dirt and water should stay on the outside area of the filter.

  6. #6Jeremy Whittaker2022-11-16 00:06

    513-4490