Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old Gallion grader Transmission leak problem

38 fiat ยท 2014-07-16 11:47

New to the forum- all input appreciated. We just bought a old Gallion grader with a 2420 transmission and c-273 torque converter in it. The output shaft out of the transmission was leaking oil badly. When took it apart the flange was not very tight and the seal was damaged badly. Replaced the seal and made sure sealing surface on flange was good. When we got it running again it starting leaking again after a very short time. It appears that there is pressure pushing the oil out of the seal, the oil looks like it has air in it coming out around the seal. How much pressure should there be in the sump of the transmission? Any ideas of what may be going on here? Thanks

Replies2
  1. #1mitch5042014-07-16 12:53

    none, there should be a vent somewhere. What model grader is it? I have a 118B here, I'll try to remember to look and see where the vent should be. It probably should be at the top of the transmission. I have seen a lot of people replace the vent with a pipe plug, and then wonder why they can't keep seals.

  2. #238 fiat2014-07-16 19:03

    The grader is a t-500a, I have removed the tranny breather and checked it and the passage that it threads into and they are clear. This breather was mounted on the control valve on the front of the trans. That was the only vent I could find. It was only about 3/8" pipe thread- seemed kind of small to me.