Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old girl looking pretty good!

Motor Grader ยท 2010-05-23 21:47

I'm up in Juneau, Alaska this week delivering a new C86 to a mine. I was out exploring Juneau and came across this Austin Western in better shape than most graders I see 20 years old. This thing is all wheel drive plus the circle turn is something else to see. I don't have a good enough picture to show but the whole tandem assy turns under the frame. Kinda like todays articulation setup but 2 cylinders hooked directly to the tandem. I don't know who TW Hall is but he keeps really good care of his equipment.:thumbsup

Replies26
  1. #1willie592010-05-23 22:07

    Dang TW, you've been found! He's a forum member motorgrader, although, don't recall him posting a pic of this nice looking machine. Or, maybe just as nice a pic as you have posted.

  2. #2mitch5042010-05-23 22:45

    Woo hoo Dwan! If you had somebody to distract Dwan Hall you coulda put that right back on the same lowboy you just unloaded and brought it back, I'da picked it up in Charlotte. That thing really looks different than when he got it doesn't it?:drinkup I wish mine looked half that good:beatsme

  3. #3mitch5042010-05-23 23:41

    Beauty Contest a couple of quick pictures of mine so everybody can vote for the prettiest restoration.

  4. #4Boatnutrlj2010-05-23 23:52

    I vote for Mitch's, it looks real. The other one has a seat that looks like one out of my old pickup, and a right front tire going flat.

  5. #5mitch5042010-05-24 00:10

    I had just aired up my slick right front tire. But thanks!

  6. #6MKTEF2010-05-24 04:52

    Dwan has been dooing a very good job on that grader. Here is the thread showing it: He told us about the new seat, but didn't post any pics, it looks real nice inside that cab.

  7. #7digger242j2010-05-24 10:23

    He paid you to post this thread, didn't he? :cool2

  8. #8mitch5042010-05-24 10:37

    I'm thinking he's negotiating to buy a new Champion to run with this one

  9. #9Dwan Hall2010-05-24 16:38

    I been had. I was going out to run the grader and thought I would check in here first. Guess what? I better take an air tank with me, The seat is out of the back of a SUV fit perfice. And I will meet with Motorgrader eather today or tomarrow. Thanks for all the compliments.

  10. #10digger242j2010-05-24 16:55

    Out of all the graders in the world, finding out via a post on the internet that yours needs air in a tire. That's gotta be a first....

  11. #11mitch5042010-05-24 17:07

    See I was right, he is meeting to discuss his new grader Seriously, Dwan if you miss having one to restore I'll bring mine up there and trade you anytime you say. My engine and transmission are excellent. I think it's nearly identical to yours. I hope it ends up nearly as nice as yours.

  12. #12digger242j2010-05-24 17:50

    More likely, Bryan wants to reverse engineer that old AW to see what the old timers knew that the industry has since forgotten...

  13. #13willie592010-05-24 19:24

    :exactly ointlaugh:falldownlaugh

  14. #14mitch5042010-05-24 20:00

    Well, you know it was the 70's that everybody started offering all-wheel-steer (articulation) and the 80's before everybody started offering all-wheel-drive, so I figure Bryan's got about 40 years of catching up to do.

  15. #15ledsel2010-05-24 20:36

    The old Austin-Westerns didn't have a steering wheel either.

  16. #16Dwan Hall2010-05-24 23:08

    Some did and some did not. Mine does.

  17. #17ledsel2010-05-24 23:29

    Yeah, I don't know when they started using them. Ours was a 48 and it had bull horns.

  18. #18mitch5042010-05-25 02:35

    Mine is a 1962 and a steering wheel was an option then. Mine has it. Dwan, what year and model is yours? Mine is a 1962 Super 366 with a 4-71. Sorry to hijack the thread you paid Bryan to post but I thought it would be funny to put up pictures of mine beside yours like it was a contest.

  19. #19rsherril2010-05-25 07:24

    I remember a solinoid operated circle lock on the AW I trained on. The circle would not move unless it was released. With the amount of leverage that a blade can put on the circle drive, I'm suprised that it did not become a industry standard. In many ways the AW was ahead of it's time with all wheel drive, rear steer and all hydralics blade functions. Mine also had a turbo with a tourqe converter for a cushion between engine and transmission. Smooth machine, but noisy with the 2-cycle Detroit Diesel 471. Used a lot of fuel too.

  20. #20Dwan Hall2010-05-25 09:48

    mitch, it is also a Super 366, built in 1963, like yours it has a 471 w/supercharger. Somewhere I posted a picture of the data plate and SN# but not sure were. When it comes time to restore yours all you got to do is bite the bullet and lay it up for a year or 20 till it is done. I still need to pack a few seals and straighten the shift ram. But it is up and running so I can have fun learning the different moves it can make. My next move to practice is smoothly reversing the blade to grade backwards. I had a good talk with Brian, Seems he comes from a good family that has always like building graders. Real down to earth people. and he did not pay me to say that. (yet) If I ever get down around Charlotte NC. I am going to look them up, maybe buy a hat or something.

  21. #21Motor Grader2010-05-25 18:13

    I had no idea who in the world Dwan Hall was or that I had already exchanged messages with him on the forum. I just happen to be exploring Juneau and ran across the grader. I couldn't wait to post such a find on here for everyone to enjoy. I didn't expect to meet him in person just a couple days later! Made my whole trip to Juneau that much more special. Thanks Dwan.

  22. #22Motor Grader2010-05-25 18:16

    Double cylinder circle turn on a single pinion? Rear articulating tandem assembly? Maybe you will see this on the new D model Champions! Regardless, got to make that truck seat standard equipment. Would be great for catching a nap.

  23. #23Motor Grader2010-05-25 18:21

    A hat and a steak dinner if you ever come to Charlotte plus the nickle tour at the factory. Buy a new grader and I bet CMI will fly you down to the factory to turn the key at start up on the final assembly line.

  24. #24Dwan Hall2010-05-26 01:40

    Forgot to mention I have heating eliminates for the seat when I reupholster it. If I had the work for it you would already have the order. Bryan sorry about the spelling I was going by memory and the gray hair has used up most of that.

  25. #25mitch5042010-05-26 13:05

    Bryan, if you want one to reverse engineer I'll swap mine for a C116, even meet you at the stateline with it.

  26. #26Deere470D LC2012-03-24 13:47

    Mine has a steering wheel...