Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old grader

diggerop ยท 2008-11-30 06:41

I've been driving past this machine for a few years now and I often thought that the back wheel could have been straightened up (pic 1) before it was put on display. Anyway today I stopped to take some photos I saw that it had wheel lean on the rear wheels worked through a worm drive. Plus side shift also on the rear driven by a rack and pinion setup. Check out the lock for thr rack in the last pic.

Replies10
  1. #1diggerop2008-11-30 06:51

    Another oldie "Standing only" on this one too. Same town as the other one. A bit on the light side for me but probably someones pride and joy onetime.

  2. #2Squizzy246B2008-11-30 07:25

    Great pictures Diggerop....but did you ask Grader4me for permission before you photographed his rig??

  3. #3Grader4me2008-11-30 08:05

    Tryed tellin everyone I just can't speed grade!!:beatsme Now you see why?? Great pictures..thanks for sharing

  4. #4RocksnRoses2008-11-30 15:26

    I don't see why not, you wouldn't get any tyre bounce! Rn'R.

  5. #5Grader4me2008-11-30 15:45

    Nelly & Pokey were good old hoss'es, but couldn't run that fast

  6. #6Lashlander2008-11-30 17:13

    These were state of the art in their day.

  7. #7roadrunner2008-11-30 23:12

    What is that contraption?Looks like it might have been pulled with a horse or an ox!:beatsme

  8. #8Dwan Hall2008-12-01 00:54

    Today they are just "ART" and our state has a lot of them.

  9. #9Turbo218352008-12-01 07:01

    Art is true for this state too. At least until scrap prices went up, for some reason their art value went down. Now a lot of them have just up and gone away. Another one that vanished while scrap prices were high was the old "land planes" you say pulled behind tractors.

  10. #10sledhed2008-12-02 18:26

    Gotta love the oldies!