Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

old grey market cat 320 excavator

chris allen ยท 2014-02-12 17:06

Hey guys im in a situation dealing with a grey market machine ( means a foreign made serial number) an it makes it hard for repairs, I normaly find a another machine close to it as possible an use its serial num. for my grey market machine. but here ive got a guy that has the old 320 grey market machine that everyones worked on an took apart an no ones fixed. im not sure whats wrong or what happened to it, the guy asked me to look it over an even asked for a motor replacement, it has a 3066 cat motor in it, dual head motor , 6 cylinder. well we cant seem to find one around for that ole cat but we were wandering if theres another motor out there that we can interchange it with, looked at one with a cat 3208 in it an want work with the 320 hyd hook ups, but a 3306 is a very pop. motor to find but will it interchange with less complications in it, measured it from fan to bell housing its within inchs of the 3066. has anyone ever done this or have an idea of what will interchange with my 3066 motor

Replies8
  1. #1MotoMan2014-02-13 20:33

    I'm not up on the 3066 motor, but I once drove an old Pete with a 3208 and it revved to the moon compared to anything else I have ever come across. I would check to see if the proper RPM range would work. I know that 3208 bolted up to a standard fuller bell housing, and the rear ends were geared according to the motor. Not at all an expert, just sharing the little bit that I had with the 3208

  2. #2trackdoc2014-02-14 07:31

    Hi there, I know this engine very well. It is a Mitsubishi engine, the block is very lite and is prone to warpage after 12000 hours and quite often before. It is a lot smaller than most of the " true " Cat engines. You may be able to fit a 3126 in there, but the little Mitsubishi ( 3066 ) is a great engine apart from having to skim the block and heads every now and then.

  3. #3Nige2014-02-14 08:32

    What Serial Number prefix is the machine..? There is a cross-reference chart that ought to give a guideline as to which US-built Serial Number prefix is appicable when sourcing parts.

  4. #4chris allen2014-02-14 20:39

    Thanks for ur imput ,, I had the guy track me down while with the 3066 outta the excavator,,, I was having a great day beating my head against other komatsu excavator hyd. issues, needles to say the guy made me unload the motor onto my truck an after lookin at it it looked just like one of the mid side Mitsubishi motors, but I looked all over the thing an never found a tag or serial num. stamped on it any weres, but then again its has 20 yrs of grease an dirt on it, I will be giving him a good washing in the morning, thanks for conferming that its a Mitsubishi job.

  5. #5chris allen2014-02-14 20:50

    Hey Mr. Nige, thanks for ur help here,,,, ive got all the cat sis software on my laptop, but normaly I allways find a US build serial that's close to what im working with, but with the old 320 I hadn't seen it in person,nor the motor, but my freind showed up today with the motor an said here it is,,, like I really had time to drop everything an peep at it, but I had to be nice an do it, any how I looked it over an it looked just like a mitsibishi brand mid size motor, wasn't for sure cause never found tag on it yet,,, but I gonna pressure washem up in morning, but when I got in tonite I did some looking around on SIS an found an early 320 with a prefix of 2DL it looks just like the motor that's in the grey market it 3066 has twin heads

  6. #6chris allen2014-02-14 20:56

    WOW love to see an OLE PETE with the 3208 pushing it,,, hopefully it was the bigger one with the turbo on it, be the PETE looked tuff sitting there idleing with twin stacks smokeing,,, cause we all know them 3208s love to smoke an drink a lil oil,, lol but there tuff,, only ole boys I was ever around was the ole AUTO CAR 79 model but it had the 3306 in em but ya had to be talented to bork that crazy shift pattern since it had 2 shifters in the floor.

  7. #7overworked2014-02-14 21:58

    Chris one of my old customers has a 320 with the same engine, if you want i can dig up the serial number, couple years ago he called and asked what the red light and buzzer meant, they ran it that way for an hour untill it locked up, we bought a brand new engine from cat flywheel to fan blade, about six hours later we were up and running, no core charge either, was about 8000 back then. Overworked

  8. #8Wolf2014-02-15 14:54

    How much is an old 320 like that worth? Know a guy who has one to sell and asked me to help him.