Not the best picture I know. I've never seen a Hy-Hoe in person before only ever seen pictures on here, I'm guessing there aren't very many left. Wish I could've taken a better look at her. This picture was taken today, In Langley B.C. Can anyone tell me anything about this machine? I understand it is American made. what size/weight class is it in? what year roughly?
I thought the old Hy Hoe's were made in Mississauga Ontario? I remember seeing tons of em at Ritchie Brothers in Toronto all the time and the plates always said Mississaga.
Hmm, maybe I'm thinking of another manufacturer, and have them confused :beatsme
hello, I purchased an old HY-HOE 680 last year plan on digging a pond with it sometime, still looking for some info on it
I Run a 3300-t HY-HOE.Around 40,000 lbs.Had it for 12 years now.It is a 1978 machine,vary good reliable unit.They were made In Milwaukee wisconsin by "The hydraulic machien company.Dont see much on the net about them.Mine was originaly a military hoe.They are simular to Insley,Hien-Werner,Bantam excavaters and use alot of the same parts.
my old Hy-HOE 680 Here is my old Hy-Hoe 680
Good looking Hy-Hoe,has alot of life left in it.
I ran a HyHoe in 1971 that was a truck mount. It worked real good for digging swimming pool excavations in real wet conditions. That was out of Doylestown, Pa.
my neighbor used to have one. he just sold it about a year ago.
Hy-Hoe was a product of Hydraulic Machinery Company, Inc. of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. What model is that unit in the first post?
I cant tell from that distance,The sheetmetal slopes inward on the engine compartment sides.I have never seen that.It might be a later model.My 3300 hy-hoe has the wide gage undercarrige,dozer type rails, and 30 inch semi-grousers like the one in the first post.I will post pics of mine,I would like to hear more about them.It would be interesting to get production numbers and where they went.I know mine was originaly a military hoe,and its a 1978 model.
Here is a picture of myself,9 month old daughter,and 30 year old hy-hoe.
PayLoader I need some help with an old HHG Payloader and the system will not let me post. Can anyone help me out. I tried contacting Steve.:beatsme
An administrator will help you.I let my wife handle the technical stuff.I just pull the levers.
I found some more pictures of my hy-hoe.
Old Hy-Hoe Model I just found this group yesterday and have been searching for photos of Hy-Hoe’s. I worked for the in 1968 for about 10 months as a service rep. I was a tad too young and green to be truly successful but I was hired on a thin budget as their sales starting to slide and they would start down-sizing shortly. Looking at this photo I would guess that is a 685/695/3300 like 25c's (3300 is a way newer model number, and being built in 1978, was one of the last, at least from the Milwaukee location and I am not aware of any others). It has a different style shroud than was used when I worked there which would probably make it the higher model number. The only real difference between the 680/690 & 685/695's was the width of the crawler. The 680/690's were 8' while the were 685/695's 9' wide. This gave them better stability but they required over-size permits to transport on public roads. Boy I sure wish I still had the complete set of service and parts manuals I used to carry with me. I did manage to pick up a Maintenance Manual for the 600-690-695-895 Brute crawlers and the 590-790 Brute truck mount units. No photos but the illustrations do show the older sheet metal without the sloping sides. I do not know when this manual was printed but it shows Hydraulic Machinery Company as a subsidiary of Standard Alliance Industries, Inc., still at the 124th Street address in Milwaukee. If anyone needs/wants any information that is in the manual, just let me know. I'll be happy to supply it. Boy I sure wish I still had the complete set of service and parts manuals I used to carry with me. I did manage to pick up a Maintenance Manual for the 600-690-695-895 Brute crawlers and the 590-790 Brute truck mount units. No photos but the illustrations do show the older sheet metal without the sloping sides. I do not know when this manual was printed but it shows Hydraulic Machinery Company as a subsidiary of Standard Alliance Industries, Inc., still at the 124th Street address in Milwaukee. If anyone needs/wants any information that is in the manual, just let me know. I'll be happy to supply it. Also, there is no "red arrow" or paper clip icon on my "Reply to Thread" page, standard or advanced so I cannot post any photos. Ideas?
Well welcome hy-john.Thats pretty neet that you worked with the HY-HOE company in the past.And thanks for the information.My old 3300 hy-hoe is a well built unit and has paid for itself many times over.
Thank you 25c. Notice how I cleverly repeated the paragraph on the service manuals. Just goes to describe my geezer-age computer skills.
Dont worry about it hy-john.The hyhoe excavators are easyer to run and more reliable than computers.
Hy-Hoe This picture was taken near Arnprior,Ontario about ten years ago.I believe they were also manufactured near Toronto,but not sure.There was a fence so I could'nt get to close for a more thourough look. Looked alright and a decent size undercarriage.Single exhaust,6-71 power? Dominion
Thats a good looking HY-HOE Dominion 410.I would say it was a late model HY-HOE.It sure looks good.
What manufacturer started putting the cab on the left side of the machine? I think it would have been a horrible transition to go from the right to the left side.
25c, that machine was real decent looking.Straight,clean and the undercarriage looked alright from what I could tell.Would like to have tried it out. Dominion
Dominion 410,It's a good looking hy-hoe.My wife is happy that it is up in Canada ,as if it were a little closer to home I would be trying to buy it.
Hay, I just took possession of a Hy-Hoe 3300. runs great, but needs some work, which I am looking forward to do. Just wondering if there are any manuals around for the 3300.?
Nice looking machine. Looks cleaner than the one I just got home today. Looks the same as yours. Any idea where or if there are any service or parts manuals around? Want to do some work on mine and would make it a lot easier if I had them or copies of them. Thanks
Hy-Hoe 3300 What part of the hy-hoe are you working on Bunner?
Right now, just took the top rollers off, they are seized. Nest the disk brake mechanism, that stops the machine from turning is not working. then there is a list of other stuff to do, when I get time.
Its an old machine that has sat for a few years. Engine and hydraulics work great. Other than a few hydraulic leaks. Alredy replaced two of the bad hoses. Its a project to restor it.
Send us a picture of the hy-hoe Bunner,and we will help you restore it.We Like hy-hoe's on the forum .
Hy-Hoe The one I picked up last month is the same as yours. Yours looks like it is in better shape. Looks good.
Hy-Hoe Will send picture soon, very busy with the farm at the present time.
Originally posted 7-05-2009 That would have a Detroit 4-53 4 valve engine. They did use some V8 Cummins but I am not aware of the model and few were actually installed. When I worked there (1968) they had one Cimmins powered prototype. Any service reps or sales demonstrators that were in the office would go out in side yard and run tests on it. I remember once when I had to check the hydraulic oil temperature every hour (or maybe half hour, can't recall for certain). The only real item I recall as being all that different performance-wise than the Detroits was the slower recovery time after being bogged down.
hy-john,Yep, my 3300 HY-Hoe has The Detroit 4-53 in it.You guys built a great machine hy-john!
I have the same Hy Hoe 3300, with the same motor. Any chance of finding a owners, shop manual for it?
Will get a picture ofit on here as soon as I can. Not on the computer much.
Bunner, what serial number is it?
Its a 3300TTO, Ser# 101 GMC
Hello all, I've been viewing the forums for a while now and finally decided to register. I have become the proud owner of a Hy-Hoe Model 580 track mount. Unsure of the Manufacture date, but I'd guess it to be 1960 or older. I'll post some pix as soon as I get a working camera. I also got my hands on a 380-E service parts book. It's in fold-out blueprint format. Hopefully I'll get them HQ scanned and uploaded. Stay tuned.
Welcome Dregs,I look forward to see pictures of your HY-Hoe 580.
Any one know where I can get a service or parts manual for a 3300TT, excavator, or a copy of one. There is not to much on the internet, that I can find on Hy-hoes. It would make it a lot easier if I had a service manual. I want to restore the 3300, but have never worked on excavators before. At the present time I have taken a few of the hydraulic cylinders off and rechroming and new seals. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks
Let me know what part of the hoe your working on Bunner and I'll have the wife scan the picture out of the parts manual if that will help.
I finally got some pix up. My flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dregs09/sets/72157622460380377/ A zipfile of 55 pictures (about 180MB): http://www.filesavr.com/hyhoe Seems I have a Model 480G. Any advice/ideas are appreciated.
The slewing system is a very simple set up,but must be a bit of a night mare to keep the chains at an even tension,the first time I have seen that set-up ,whitlock had a similar set up with cables instead of chains on a backhoe back in the day.
Hi There. i was wondering if you knew who owned this hy hoe and if they were interested in selling it? i have a 695C and need the swing house gear box .
Hyhoe 5000 I was reading all these posts with a great deal of interest. Can any of you Hyhoe experts tell me about the Hyhoe 5000. I have 240 acres and want to dig a monster pond.... Thanks! Frank
Hyhoe 5000 I can't seem to attach a picture, but maybe this will work. Hyhoe 5000 http://belleville.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAdLargeImage?AdId=159286098 Thanks! Frank
Frank you require three posts to be allowed to attach pictures,so I've done it for you. so get up another post wait a while, and Bobs your uncle.
Hyhoe 5000 Thanks Stock
Hy-Hoe Looks like a 6v53 Detroit in it for power.
Hey fjdwyer,Thats a nice looking Hy-Hoe.One thing I allways liked about the HY-Hoe excavators is they had catwalk on the sides of the unit.I see the Hy-Hoe in the picture also has grab handles on top to hang on.Cool!
In need of some help, I have the 480G. Do any of you guys have a parts list/manual for this? I have one for the Model 380, but it is a truck mount, so no undercarriage stuff. I tried emailing hymac-parts with no response. First off and most important I need a few top track rollers. Thanks. (I am also posting this on another forum)
i,ve emailed hymac a few times and have never had a responce from them
I will td, thanks. Right now re-chroming and some new seals on the hydraulic cylinders. I do not need manual for that. Next, one of the hydraulic motors that works the track is leaking fluid. It is okay when it runs, no leaks. When you shut it off it leaks. Would not mind having some info. from the manual, for that, if it is not to much trouble. I think that might be a big job.
Hy-Hoe 3300 drive motor Might pull the cover off the track frame & take a close look at the drive motor.Its located just ahead the drive sprocket on the outside of the track frame.Thats stange that it only leaks when not in use.If the shaft seal is leaking the oil will enter the final drive.Your problem might be an O-ring fitting at the motor from the hydraulic lines or the line leaking itself,or motor body leaking.Maybe share some pictures after you get the cover off.Here is the parts breakdown on the drive motor.Good luck with it Bunner.
Looks like a Commercial motor. Very inexpensive to rebuild and the seal kit would be less than $100. Just get the # off the decal and go to a hydraulic shop. These pumps can be completely rebuilt for less than $600. Phil
Good eye Phil,yes the HY-Hoe's used the " commercial" brand pumps & motors.They are very reliable & inexpensive at repair time.
thats a nice looking machine
Sorry for the late response. Thank you very much. This will help a lot. You are a great help. I do not get on her to often, to busy most of the time and then to tired. Pete
Hy-Hoe 3300 Here is a picture of my Hy-Hoe, 3300, being transported to my place this summer. Hope it is attached, not to good at this.
I have fixed the top roller on the track. That was the first thing I did. The track was touching the hydraulic lines, for the track motors. The lines were damaged so I put new ones on.
Top roller that I fixed was not much good. Its good enough to move the machine around, but thats about it. Need a new one. The part number on the one that I took off is, 5M2043. Any idea what company has them or who made that type? I have gone to a few small repair shops around here and they don't have any answers. Any help would be appreciated.
Found two new top rollers today. Will put them on this weekend. I got them from an older guy who used to work for a Hy-hoe dealer in Hamilton Ontario. He said, that the Hy-hoe was assembled in the Ottawa, Ontario, area at that time. Late 60's, early 70's
hy hoe I found a hyhoe 685b for sale with a fresh detroit and new pumps and motors for 7,000 do any of you think that's a fair price? What are the controls like compaired to excavators of today because I have run them but did not know how deferent they might be!
Thats not a bad price for a good machine. They are a little different. More leg and arm work.
Hy-Hoe 3300 controls assembly This is the only thing I have showing wiring on the 3300 Bunner.Hope it helps.
480 e ointheadjust got hy hoe 480e #38 trying to find owners manual? would like to find out year weight and what engine came in it ? currently has 353 dosnt look origanal thanks mike:
Hay Mike I can not help you with your question, I am just new to Hy-hoes myself. TD25c might be able to help you when he comes on. He seems to have a good knowledge of the Hy-hoe line of excavators. He has helped me out a lot.
thanks buddy great site
I am replacing all the filters on the Hy-hoe 3300TT, with a 453. I have taken out the air filter and it is not the right one. A little bit to small. Does any one know who supplies the air filter and a part number. Even the part number from Hy-hoe manual would help.
We have just retired an old Hyhoe that we have been using in our gravel pit for years. Of course, MSHA made sure it was in good shape with all the glass. A hose broke and caused a pump to go out. If anyone is looking for a good ole Hyhoe to recondition or use, please let me know. It has too much sentimental value to go to salvage.
If anyone's looking for a Hyhoe in good shape but in need of a pump, we've got one! It's got too much sentimental value to junk out.
I have a Hy-hoe 695. It was made in Milwaukee WI by the hydraulic machinery company which was sold to hydro mac in the UK. The under carriage was built by P & H crane. Most of the surviving one were truck mounted models.
What model is it?
480 e # 38 sorry took so long busy summer computer crashed has 453 doesnt look like it came in it just rebuilding one final drive so i can bring her home
Hy-Hoe 3300 swing brake & gear box Here are the specs on the swing brake & gear box Bunner.Sorry it took me awile but been pretty busy.
3300 linkage & swing pump changes I also added a few pics of the control linkage changes under the cab of the 3300.Pictures ain't the best but you should be able to see the "Z-bar" link rods going from the hand levers to the valve body.My left foot pedal swings the cab,left lever is the boom,right lever stick,right foot pedal is the bucket.We also added a 2.5 inch body & gear set to the top hydraulic pump.This helped alot to speed up the swing cycle.I think the original pump body was 2 inch thick.Good luck with the 3300 Bunner.
Thats great td, this will keep me busy in my spare time. I won't have to bug you for a little while, now. haha Thanks again, Pete
Hi fellow Hy-hoe people. Really nice to see some Hy-Hoe's other than my own. I've got a 6000TT, 5000TT, 685B, all of which are in working order and another 5000TT that I was going to use for parts but can't quite bring myself to tearing it down! I still have manuals for them and some of the original archival sales literature. I'm glad to pass along anything I might know. Right now I'm looking for a crossover# or the manufacturer of the Hyd. Swivel on the 5000, which was the same on the 6000 and the 3000. I need new slipper seals for the unit. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ilio
Hard to believe it been almost a year since the last time I was on here. Time does fly... Unfortunately I have no words of wisdom for the recent subjects, just some memories. Back in 1968, on the 680, 685, 690, 695's, we used ti have problems with the swing gear box loosening up. If I remember it was supposed to be torqued daily. We tried adding adjustable stops that were basically large screws that were tightened against the part of the swing gear box housing where the hydraulic motor mounted. These also had to be tightened often as they would eventually wear into the gear box housing. One of our distributors came up with an added on bracket that served as a clamp on both sides and the top of the gear box. It wasn't in the territory I worked and I never saw one but it was reportedly about the best repair up to that point. Those control rods look familiar. I'm sitting here moving my feet back and forth trying to remember how the various levers and pedals were arranged back then. I seem to recall the right lever was for the swing then. Reason I recall that was one of the more popular modifications we were doing was top convert them to left hand swing. As there was that counter shaft behind the main shaft for lever mounting, one could set the controls up just about anyway one wanted.
Old Hy Hoe Track jamming I’m pleased to see that there are still a number of people interested in the old Hy Hoe, which is not produced any more and that there are some of these machines still in operation. I have what seems to be a 680 (I can’t tell for sure because there is no indication on the machine itself to tell me it is, but from the pictures posted earlier in this thread, it looks to be a 680.) I have some problems with one side of the track, which have developed lately. When the machine goes forward or backward, one side seems to catch and jam to the point that the track seems to try to get off the wheel. I have the impression there is a broken bearing inside somewhere. I am in need of a maintenance or operator manual to check it out. Does anyone know how I could get one? I would appreciate very much know where to find one.
Manual I am looking for a manual for a 680 old Hy Hoe. There is one posted on eBay, from Indonesia. Can anyone tell me whether this is genuine or a scam?
Hi Farmer Hy Hoe.Dose your hoe have the "crane" type undercarige or "tractor"type? Mine uses the tractor type and several years back I had a similiar problem with the track jamming at the rear sprocket & trying to walk off.Turns out we found a broken snap ring on the axil shaft that had fell out letting the sprocket move around on the splined axil shaft causing the trouble.This is accessable from the outside.We ended up making a two piece snap ring that bolted together so I could install it on the axil without pulling the final appart.Scroll back to post # 55 pic # 2 is the breakdown on my hoe.# 24 is the snap rings on each side of the drive sprocket.Good luck with it.
Hi Farmer Hy Hoe. Unless your machine has been modified (which I've seen, but is hardly worth it), you have a 'shovel or 'crane' type undercarriage. They weren't making anything else at the time. Flat pads with cast in drive links, stress poof pins, tumbler sprockets and old style, greasable, upper and lower rollers, no recoil spring and a bolt style track adjuster. Everything is totally rebuildable with a welding machine. To buy new would bankrupt you. I have rebuilt mine twice and it is in pretty good working order. It was built in Wisconsin. The company later moved to Arnprior Ont. where, in the 80,s they went under and was bought out by Mid Canada Supply & Services (also Can Bear, out of Buffalo N.Y.) in Hamilton Ont. The remaining stock was sold off a few years ago. The problem you're having could be a number of things. If the sprocket to pad-link contact is good, I would check the output shaft splines and the mating sprocket hub slines. That's usually it. Also, it's a good idea to have a slit collar spacer, rather than the snap ring to tighten up the clearances. If the splines are sheared, it would be cheaper to mill 3 or 4 key slots than to make a new shaft and hub. The intermediate pinion shaft and driven gear can pile up on the final drive (bull) gear, which will cause the drive to sieze up and sometimes give that jumping feeling. Preload on the bearings is pretty important, but more-so is the acceptance. that these machines, that were revolutionary for their time (and a long time afterwards), were meant to be used as a stationary digging platform that could move from spot to spot. They could not negotiate steep slopes or have excessive spoil (sand, etc.) build up in the undercarriage. Remember, no recoil spring or hyd. track adjuster. Something has to go. Usually the splines. I have the manual for that machine and a breakdown of the gear box, but it won't do you much good. It was a poor manual and the numbers don't crossover. You're better off to take it apart and it will explain itself. The beauty of these machines is that everything is available. Just not from the dealer. Most gears are Eaton-Rockwell. Pumps are Commercial Shearing gear pumps. Transmission is Funk. Turntable is Rotek. Valves are mostly Huscoe. Cylinder packings are 'V' packings or can be modified with 'U' seals. The newer tractor type undercarriages (on the 1500, 3000 to the 6000) are all Caterpillar and are available through Berco. They have recoil springs, etc. Just in case anyone is interested, i'm thinking of selling my 685B
Please help with HY-HOE information Hi can anybody help me find information where i can buy books or repair manuals or parts for my HY-HOE Excavator . Model # 5000tt . serial # A001088 . also can someone tell me what this machine weighs ? . i would be grateful for any information .
The last books and engineering drawings I saw, were in a locker, under a leaking roof, in the (last) Hy Hoe factory-warehouse, in Hamilton Ont. about 8-10? years ago. The building was subsequently condemmed, the contents were sold off and the property was seized and sold by the city for the non payment of property taxes. A Mosque now stands in its place. It was a sad ending to a great company and era. I have manuals, some crossover #'s, and original sales brochures for some of the Hy Hoe line. I don't think I want to sell the stuff at this point, but when I've got some time I coud make some copies. The undercarriage on the 5000TT is a Caterpillar D6 or 5. Pretty sure it's a 6. The part #'s will be stamped on the links, etc. I got my last undercarriage (Berco) from Equipment Sales and Service. Use the part #'s and don't tell them it's for a Hy Hoe, or you'll start drawing blanks. The serial #'s mean very little. Other than cosmetics (shrouding), there were few mechanical changes. The hyd. cylinders were either Wolfedale or King. Irrelavant though, as 'V' packings were the norm. Though I have had great success with 'U' seals. I'm looking at the general spec.'s in the sales brochure and it lists the 5000TT at 52,220 pounds approx. In good working order, you can bury a 225 Cat!!
Hi Mike. Saw your post. The year of the machine should be in the serial #. The specs. I have for the 480 are: Weight - 19,600 pounds, rating is a 1/2 cubic yard to 1 yd. for loading. Mostly sold 1968-70. Engine was Det. 353. There was little or no shrouding over components at rear. The 485 came fully shrouded, was listed as 3/4 yd. (5/8 struck capacity, also 1 yd. loading) and weighed in at 24,600 pounds. It came with a 2 valve 353 and also was available with a 2 valve 453, rated at 107 BHP I couldn't find the price, but just to compare to today, the original factory list, in 1970 for the 600 was $29,845.00 The truck mounted units were about $10,000.00 less. Forgot to mention in a previous thread that the valves were also Parker Hannifin.
Hello, I am located near Rigaud QC, and have owned a hyhoe 685 for some 23 years. It is in better condition now than when it was purchased. I am looking for a parts machine especially the commercial hyd motor on the track drive. This machine has a V6 cummins diesel engine, which is a little noisy. The water pump seal and bearing was replaced last year. But, now the radiator is leaking. Most of the seals and bearing are standard GBS, NTN parts. I have had to make a fix for the swing gearbox that seems to work well. But lately, the thought has been to buy something like a cat 215b or c, vintage 1990 or plus. But what would you be asking for your hyhoe? richard
Hello Richard. Sorry I haven't responded to your post till now. I've been out of the country and just saw your post today. If you're still interested in that 685B Hy-Hoe of mine, I'd be interested in talking with you. It's been on a job while I've been gone, so I'll be going to the site to sort out any issues and could take a few photos of it. I'll have to give a little thought to what I might want for it. Let me know if you're still interested and we'll trade contact #'s and we'll talk soon. Doesn't sound like we're that far from each other, so seeing the machine wouldn't be too much of a journey. Ilio
Hi all, I have a 3300TT and I need the back left shroud, which covers the hydraulic pumps. Its all I need to complete the exterior of the machine. Any one know where I might find one?
Hey Dominion I live in Arnprior, any idea where that pic was taken?
Hi Ilio You would not have any manuals or information on a 3300TT excavator?????? Anything would be appreciated.
Hi Bunner I'm not sure if I still have the manual for the 3300TT, but I do have the original sales brochure. I wouldn't try to upload it on my rural dial-up connection, but when I have the time I'd be glad to copy and mail it to you. I still have some parts that would fit your 3300. A few original Hy-Hoe buckets for the 3300. An original (unused) digging bucket and wrist-o-twist ditching bucket (missing the hyd. cylinder). I also have a new (unused) factory cab that would fit your machine. I might have some shrouding too. The 3300 was an updated version of the 685 'B'. Certain areas, such as weight, tracks, final drives and swing systems were upgraded to remain competative, but booms, stick, cylinders, engine and pumps remained basically the same. The final drives and swing planetary gearboxes and pump drives were (for the most part) the same for the 3300 TT, 5000 TT and 6000 TT. The output (pinion) shaft, would be the the main difference. For the 3300 TT, a 10' stick was standard. The counter weight was 5000 lbs. The factory engine was a Detroit 453-four valve 130 bhp. Hydraulic operating pressure was 2050 psi. with the relief valves set at 2200 psi. I usually set mine about 100 to 200 psi. higher. Tank pressure was 7 psi, regulated by a rad cap. Two speed boom and dipper regenerating valve was standard. The swing valve, along with incoporating the plunger for the boom assist, usually had an auxilliary plunger for attachments. The 2 main pumps were rated at 53 GPM and the swing pump at 26 GPM. Weight of the machine was approx. 44,300 lbs. Ground pressure is 4.7 psi Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know.
Thats great information Ilio, thanks. I will get back to you with my address or I might take a drive to Perth to see what parts I could use. Won't be until September, so busy with the farm and a few family weddings this summer.
Hi Fox , I have Hy Hoe 3300 not bad shape but nave problem with swing gear box , any one know where I can get parts or all swing gear box ? [email protected] Thank you .
Hi Ilio I wander if you still may have some parts for my Hy hoe 3300 Im looking for swing gear box and one of the 3 pumps
HI There Im looking for some parts for Hy Hoe 3300 . let me know if you have something Thanks
Thats a good question leonpona.Never had any trouble with the swing box yet on my 3300 .Have you got it apart ? I do have the service manual if it would be any help.I believe it was built by DANA corp as are the finals. This old 685 has been on www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=2345056& for a few years now.It looks similar to the 3300,I keep thinking to call them to see if they would sell me the cab door off of it.You may just have a bad bearing ,hopefully its something simple.
Thanks td 25c for respond . Yes you are right I need all 3 or 4 bearings. The rest looks ok . I took it a part 3 years ago and never have time to go back to it but now is the time . So where I can get those bearings at good price?
how can I attach pic to this page ?
Thats good to hear you just need the bearings leonpona.I get most of my bearings from www.tristatebearing.com Also these folks keep allot of the hydraulic motors,pumps,&cylinder kits. www.brakesupply.com Keep us posted on your swingbox repair.Been running my 3300 all last week,burnt brush piles today.
Welcome leonpona :drinkup Picture posting instructions here -
Why all the Ho-Ha about the machine ? Its only an excavator for darn sake.
Would like help to identify old hy-hoe Hello, new to this, hope fhis works. I have a Hy-Hoe 680I, sin#6203GMC. Would like to know year, weight and the (I) in the model #. Thanks
Wow I can't believe how old this thread is... this machine sort of reminds me of our old CAT 225 roadbuilders up here on the west coast.
Yair . . . okay. Say we have one of these old jiggers in "as new" condition and an equivalent current machine loading trucks out of the same pit. How many more truck loads would the new machine load per day? Anyone? Cheers.
richard , I am in rigaud and I own a hy-hoe 680 . how do we get in touch ? alganon
Thats a answered question.less than the mighty Hi-Ho.
I have Hi Ho 8811 may sell for $ 8000 only need new bearings in swing gear box you can call me 905-966-3013 Leon
Hi again out there. well i,m still in search of a swing house gear box for a 695c hyhoe. if i don,t find one hubby,s going to scrap her. such a shame seeing the gear box is her only issue. thanks again
Hi all I have a 3300 tt Hyhoe with a 453 engine. Runs and moves, but few small problems with it. For sale, have to get ride of it and do not want it to go to scrap. Looking for around 6500 dollars. Let me know, getting rid of it soon. There are some pictures of it on earlier posts in 2008 or 09, in here. Located in Ontario Canada, just north of Toronto.
Don't know Scrub ? Good question . I try keep my 3300 up in pretty good shape . It's not the fastest gun in the west but is very reliable . http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/td25c/media/100_3213_zpsq7dtptjs.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0 Got in some ditching with it this afternoon . http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/td25c/media/100_3219_zpsacqlfqnw.mp4.html?sort=3&o=1
Yair . . . td25c Nice one mate. As you say that old machine looks to be in nice condition and I wouldn't imagine it would throw too many codes. . . its a shame the satellite positioning system lost the signal and you actually had to run it. (Big Grin) Cheers.
Thought you might like that Scrub . Now I had to manually override the system so I could run it with the levers . It's pretty complicated . Getting back to your question .... Structurally I would put the old HyHoe up against anything on the market today . It's built for the long haul so to speak . To get quicker cycle time I would need to repower the 4-53 Detroit with a 4-71 or possibly 6V -53 . Upgrade hydro pumps for more volume and it would cycle as fast as a new machine . Cummins 6BT would also make a nice transplant engine . But as long as the old 4-53 keeps humming good I'll keep using it as is .
Yair . . . td25c Interesting what you say about the build of the machine. The only excavators that I had a little bit to do with were early Seventie's Kato's and once we got over some initial problems with cracking around the ram bosses on the sticks they went very well and were well built strong machines . . . chain drive though which could be a head ache. I posed the question because it seems to me that much of the touted improvements in "production" of later machines may be all well and good on paper but in the real world not so much. I have always been a bit conservative in my ideas on moving dirt. Even in my hey day I could never see the point in having an extra push cat loading scrapers to gain a few seconds a load. Same thing with excavators loading trucks or trenching. It should be built into the rate or bid. If, within reason, those few extra cycles a day are going to make or break an operation, management need to take a look at their methodology and get back to basics. I guess what I am espousing is the dinosaur view of the world, that is to say, the production potential built into a modern machine by way of complexity and cost is in fact not always used. I am way out of my field now but I would go as far as to that on general subdivision work a machine such as yours with a skilled operator who knows how to feather a hydraulic control for placing pipe and so on would more than hold its own. It seems to me that many of the improvements to machinery have been made to maintain production with higher levels of operator comfort and lower levels of skill . . . I hasten to add that I am in no way being derogatory, that's just as I see it and good luck to folks out there, I wouldn't have minded a bit of A/C and a decent air ride seat. (Big Grin) Cheers.
TD-25 you've gotta upload your videos on youtube the picture is much better and you'll have a better audience, love seeing an old beast like that still giving it's best and hearing that screaming Jimmy.
I pretty much feel the same way Scrub . My customer's could care less about what color , band name , or year model of machine we take to a job site . The main concern is that the job get's done and they are happy and call us again for the next job. http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/td25c/media/100_3205_zpscoejdbnf.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0
Yeah 245dlc . The photobucket video aint the best . Seems like you have to be patient & wait a bit for it to upload .
Yair . . . td25c Love that clip. Country Roads mate Country Roads . . . you live in a beautiful part of your country, I sort of got too busy living life to get over there and see it for myself. Cheers.
I found this old machine a few years ago near here I'm not a 100% sure it's a Hy-Hoe but it's got a gasoline Waukesha engine on it.
Some more pictures of this hybrid beast.
And a couple more, I made sure to take lots to see if anybody could identify it for sure.
That's pretty typical what it looks like in my area . Somewhat hilly country with narrow roads . Almost half of my work is agricultural related in some way or another . So many times we move equipment back these country roads in the middle of nowhere to the job site . I like it . It's even more fun with Detroit power . ( Big Grin ) http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/td25c/media/100_2826_zpsd79660df.mp4.html?sort=3&o=29
That's a truck mount Hyhoe 245dlc . Be interesting to know the story on that rig as it looks like it's mounted on a late 40's / early 50's military truck . My 1978 3300 Hyhoe was a military machine originally . Not sure when Hyhoe started building machines ? Guessing post WWII years ? From what I gather they were the fabricator of the machine and pulled common parts like engine & hydraulics from other manufacturers .
Yair . . . td25c What type of pumps do they run mate? Cheers.
Mine uses Commercial brand gear pumps & motors . http://www.hydraulicsonline.com/commercial-hydraulics
Unloading HyHoe . LOL ! All the welding jobs I have done you would think I could put some ramps on the trailer:beatsme HeavyEquipmentForums
Yair . . . Gotcha td25c Pretty much as I thought . . . and you can see where my dinosaur thoughts are headed? And of course I know 'fuel efficiency' is why the manufacturers have gone to exotic (some say) fragile hydraulics . . . but the fact remains that simple robust machines like yours with basic hydraulics (that even I could troubleshoot and fix) can still pay their way . . . the question I posed up thread was how much difference in the real world does all the complexity and electronics make? I might have mentioned an old bloke who had a gravel pit and modified a an 1220 Kato by mounting a lay-on-its side bus engine between the tracks driving a two section pump to run motors off a Linkbelt or something, I know he was running D6 tracks. To reposition he'd swing the house around and access start/stop through a hole in the floor and steer with a couple of removable sticks . . . he never had any more problems with the rotary seal. Cheers.
Yeah Scrub , The gear pump & motors are pretty simple and bulletproof for the most part . The only draw back I can see is they don't work well at a lower rpm . My 3300 HyHoe has a 65 gallon fuel tank . It will run two days on a tank . Probably figure 3 to 4 gallons of fuel per hour depending on throttle setting . That aint bad for a Detroit powered 20 ton Hoe .
We finished up this evening on the drainage project . Last task was to dig out the front side on an old dam that was leaking a bit though the block wall and had some water running under the footing . We dug it out and lined the bottom & walls with geo cloth & backfilled . My old man worked in the ditch today .
Moved Hyhoe & skid loader this morning to a small clearing job . This is typical chain down for the excavator . So far the 1-1/2 " treated lumber floor on the low boy seems to be holding up . I also lay old conveyer belt down for the tracked equipment to set on . Also have pockets welded to the tailboard of the trailer that I drop a 2" pin in to help keep the excavator from sliding sideways off the ramp wile loading .
Serviced the machine this morning . Changed oil & installed new belts .
Moved in to another patch of small trees customer wanted cleared . About a hour in to the job hydro hose decides to blow on the left side drive motor . Luckily I had the skid loader & backhoe on site & used it to remove dense undergrowth & dig a shallow trench under the Hyhoe so I could crawl under & wedge myself up in the beast to remove the line at the swing manifold . Drove to town & got a new hose and needed tools . Crow foot wrench worked good for breaking the fitting loose at the manifold . Is it Friday yet .......... .
That was some great backhoe manuevering.....digging the trench up under the belly of the dragon. A roll of duck tape would have saved you the trip to town...ha haa hhaaa.
Cool video TD Looks like the old 2 stroke is steaming right along! Careful you don't spill that vodka on the dash!...... " " Carbon Based Vodka Fuled!
Why didn't I think of that ? Duct tape is a cure all for problems . I was glad to have the skid loader backhoe combo on site to clean out under the old beast . Ground was covered with poison ivy & vines . My concern was while swapping out the hydro hose some rattle headed copper moccasin might crawl up my leg .
Thanks fixou812 , My video's are pretty marginal at best . LOL! That was my water bottle on the dash when moving the Grove crane . I'm strictly a barley soda drinker . We moved in to a small patch that customer needed cleared with Hyhoe & skid loader . Trees were maybe ten year growth . Used ditch bucket on excavator to pull trees & skid loader to push & pile when need be . http://s1016.photobucket.com/user/td25c/media/100_3239_zpsjkiad0vl.mp4.html
What part of Indiana are you from td. That country sure looks like the VeVay, East Enterprise area. Always like trips through that country. Provided I'm in a car or pickup. Not so much fun in anything big.
This is a old truck mounted Hy Hoe I have
Well that is one COOL looking rig!
Yeah sweet old truck! Does it have the 6-71 Detroit in it?
I've accumulated a few more Hy-Hoe pictures since my last post, this one is a 'towable' one I found it in a field last fall I imagine the farmer uses it for making repairs to his irrigation system.
Some more of that same machine. Looks like they had different engine options mostly gasoline or petrol engines.
Another truck mount not far off the highway that somebody was using to dig a dug out and on private property so I couldn't get closer to take better pictures.
This unique unit was used in the North West Territories at the Pine Point Mine for digging dewatering ditches on the soft muskeg during the summer it just about had to float hence the wide tracks that used special tires as rollers.
Some more of that Muskeg floater I think the chassis it's mounted on was built by the Foremost Company based out of Calgary, AB they use to be the leading manufacturer of this type of LGP carrier machines usually servicing the oil field and utility companies with their brand of tracked and tired floater carriers.
Thanks, yeah the truck is a 1969 Ford N-950 with the 6-71 Detroit and a 16 speed Spicer transmission. The Hy-Hoe is powered by a 4-53 Detroit, I purchased this rig a couple years ago from a guy who was going to scrap it because he did not need it anymore, so I gave him scrap price and drove it home.
Wow sweet deal!
Cool looking units mackone & 245dlc !
Yair . . . Access to mechanical components seems to have been compromised on latest excavator models? (big grin) Cheers.
Some pictures from that truck mount unit I posted all those months ago I also have a video of it in action to upload on to youtube.
Yair . . . 245dlc It always gets me how the design on these old machines is so much more user friendly and accessible for maintenance than modern rigs . . . just look at that thing or (say) a Kato of the same vintage, engine accessible all around and pumps out there in the breeze. Cheers.
Hello everyone. I just bought an old hy hoe 3300 that needs a little work before I can start using her. Does anyone have access to some shop/ parts manual on it? I know it needs two new front axle bearings. Once I get it home I'll be able to get a better look at what all it needs. Thanks
Got the parts manual for our 3300 Erockkelly . If you need something scanned in let me know . The good news is pretty much any part is available for the machine , just got to talk to the rite people . Currently using my 3300 . http://www.heavytruckforums.com/showthread.php?263-Some-Holmes-750-action&p=2528&viewfull=1#post2528 Damn good machine , wish we had two of them !
Looks like he knows what to do with it 245dlc:thumbsup
Hello, I would like to see a diagram of the front wheel bearing assemble, if it's not to much trouble.
Not the best diagram but this is what my manual has with the parts listing . No one will be able to make heads or tails out of the part numbers , Just dig in to the machine & be careful not to damage seals & part numbers on the bearing when you remove it if ya have to smoke it off . Throw it all in a box & take it to the local tractor supply house . Tell the parts guy to take a deep breath as he will just have to match up what what's in front of him . Sometimes that means walking in the back room & opening up boxes of parts to visually match it up . I deal with these cat's , they are pretty good at it ! http://www.boydandsons.com/machinery/ It's pretty funny when the parts & sales guy's see td25c walk up and they try to lock the front door as they know a challenge is on the way . LOL !
Here's the video to go with the pictures. https://www.youtube.com/********=30Y1iN9mDZ0
Hello td25c Thanks for the diagram. I think I have a place that well be able to match up the bushings when I get it tore apart. Thanks for your time.
No problem Mate , that diagram is not the best. From what I can tell it looks like it uses Timken bearings ( tapered bearing ) in the idler . Good luck with It .
I just picked up a 680B does anyone know where I can get some manuals??????
Congratulations Robert1974 ! No idea of where to pick up a manual but I have the parts book for my 3300 . Pretty similar machines . Holler anytime with questions . Hoggin mud with mine now . I love a job where I don't need a tape measure or transit . LOL ! http://www.heavytruckforums.com/sho...ufacturing-Company&p=4046&viewfull=1#post4046
I am looking for the parts numbers for the digging brakes?
I can get you the part numbers for the 3300 but the problem is they won't mean anything to a parts supplier today . The good news is these folks can handle about any part on that machine . http://www.brake.com/ I generally give them a call with a contact name & then UPS them the item . Last time it was brakes on the Fiat - Allis hd16 dozer . They charged me $ 550.00 to reline the brake bands , I was happy with that .
need some of this machine on youtube. not many around
Still some around hammerdwn20 . Problem is the operator caint figure out how to up load a video ...... They just know how to pull levers
if you are able to send it to me i can upload them. I found a 685 for sale just have to go check it out
just bought an original sales brochure off ebay for the 680 and 685b. looking forward to learning some more about them
We moved the 3300 to a demo job . Part of the building will stay intact & back half will come down . Will try to get some video of it . Best part is I get to climb on top & saw the building in half first . Good thing I took that Building Trades class in High School . Should be interesting & hope for the best ... I don't heal up as fast as I used to .
Look twice and cut once td25. Make sure you are standing on a stable and safe area. We need you around.
Good advice old - iron ! Roof is 12 / 12 pitch . First thing is build a ladder to work off of while sawing it in half . Grove crane is on site as well to provide lifting needs & tether point for a safety line in case I get a little wild on top . Will have to remove some tin off the roof first so we can make the saw cut . No idea how these jobs land in my lap ? Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in .... LOL
Got my roof ladder built this morning & used it . East side of the roof sawed through ok . Was able to use a sawzall to cut though the tin & wood . Rigged a SALA self retracting life line on the hook between the slings . I don't heal up as fast as I used to . Worked pretty good with the 50 ' line as I was able to climb down & hook the harness to the outrigger when swapping tools . http://www.capitalsafety.com/afadmin/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?prodId=6480
We got done prepping the building today . Had my helper with me ... He rummaged around picking up items of interest . LOL! Wish I was that age again . We will yank it Monday .
looking forward to seeing some more of your machine. I got some original brochures and spec sheets on 680 and 685 machines from canada this week. Looking at them the 685 and 680 are identical except for optional stick and undercarriage widths. 9'10 wide being the standard width with 8' as the option. 32450lb machine weight.
That would sure be interesting looking at the original brochures on a HyHoe . I had a pleasant surprise last week . Oil change time for the excavator . Stopped in the NAPA store to grab an oil filter . Young feller behind the counter asks " What type of machine is this " ? I reply " 1978 3300 Hy - Hoe excavator " ....... Kid steps away from the computer & pulls a book out from under the shelf ... Opens it up & looks back at me ... " it's a Hy-Hoe 3300 TT " Correct ? " yes.... it sure is ! " He walked back & grabbed the filter . Good parts feller is priceless .
Rigged the GMC up first thing this morning . Someone planted the sycamore tree in the perfect place .
Some creeking & groaning and she came down in a loud cloud of dust .
Pretty slick how you did this.
It came down better then expected , with the momentum the roof all but collapsed . Spent allot of time prepping cutting brace posts out of the way , these old wood structures are still pretty tough . No injuries yet . If ya cant be good ..... Be lucky . We took down about 100' of the building . After we get it cleaned up customer will build a new structure in place and then we will demo the front part of the old building .
Did not dawn on me until this afternoon ...... All equipment on this job was two cycle power including the Stihl chainsaw . Two cycle engines still kick ass ....
I loves me some 2 stroke... Especially the Detroits. It's been a while since one has walked into the shop though.
I'm the same way RZ ! Love them two cycle noise makers . We wrapped up the demo job by installing the 5' ditch bucket to grade & pull the leftover " shake " off the site . Also separated good beams & stacked them off to the side . Customer was so happy he even let us get the ladder back out to tighten up & patch in some missing tin on the remaining structure . Time to go bend some nails & break some screws LOL !
Sometimes we even get to slop out a pond ..... Love those jobs as no need for a tape measure ....
Hello, I bought an old hy-hoe 3300 T 1975? I believe it is and was wonder what the two canasters are that are plumbed into the hydraulic system behind the cockpit. Could they be filters?
The earlier hoes had only 1 canister. They are the return hydraulic filters. Some had 3 for all 3 pumps (hydraulic circuits), but most had 2. There may be one more canister/tank there. It is an air tank for the brakes & hydraulic assist, if so equipped. The canisters should have 2 filters in each canister, stacked, with a plastic or steel fitting joining them. Readily available. If you need the part #'s, let me know. There are 2 to 3 suction filters in the hydraulic tank, that are on a swivel pipe, that you just pull up to access. You don't replace those, just periodically clean them. They are a steel mesh with magnets, placed in opposition to each other, rather than attraction. The magnetic field created by placing them this way, tends to repel small filings & pieces of metal that are then held by the magnet & not sucked into your hydraulic system.
Forgot to mention, you can always upgrade to spin on filters, but it's hardly worth it. I did convert the engine oil & fuel fitlers to spin on canisters. They get changed more frequently, so it was worth it. The maintenance time for the hyd. filters is longer, so it's hardly worth the conversion.
Our 3300 only has 1 hydro filter . Even has a mechanical restriction indicator on top . Not sure of the filter number but they sure resemble two Detroit Diesel oil filters stacked together .
Hey td! Just looked at the filter #'s that I use. They are Wix filters, # 51434. Each canister takes 2 filters. I've had really good luck with these ones. Checked my 6000TT to make sure (getting older & way too much iron to remember lol) on the filter system. It has 3. One for each circuit. Looked at my 5000TT parts machine, it has the standard one filter housing. When there is only 1 filter housing, they usually always have it on the swing circuit. Be almost the same as the 690 My other 5000TT is not in the yard (on a job), but I kinda remember 2 on it. My 685B had only 1. It would be the same as your 3300. Some of the newer ones had at least 2. I had one of the 6000 canisters rupture on a job 2 yrs. ago. Delightful mess!! I was pleasantly surprised to be able to get another canister the next day. The restriction indicators are nice, but they had a perpetual leaking issue. I got tired of repairing mine & took the dealers advice & put a bolt in it with an 'O' ring. It doesn't affect the bypass spring & i do regular maintenance, so I gave up on the indicator.
My cover pi (avatar) is my 5000TT. I'll see if I can upload another pic of it working.
Here'a pic of the 5000 TT beside the 685 B
machines look very clean!
Thanks hammerdwn! We love the old Hy Hoe here. I used to bug the kids when they were little & they'd be asking asking for a bedtime story & I'd read them stuff from the old Hy Hoe sales brochures about how a Hy Hoe can out trench a cable hoe or some of the semi hydraulic hoes. Like the old steam shovel story about Mary Anne & how she (an old cable hoe) could dig more in a day, than a 100 men could dig in a week!! I've got two more modern hoes, a Case CX210 & a Case CX290, but I still love the feel & the flow of the old Hy Hoes. I can run the 5000 & 6000 all day & never get tired & they don't have computers. The only reason that I went for the 2 Case machines was that they offered a free swing function & the municipality wanted a newer machine for a contract. In the end, they liked the Hy Hoe better!! I love a free swinger! Here's a pic of the 5000 in the sand pit & a frontal shot of the 6000 between the truck & the 210 Case
My 685 has Aux hydraulics. Is it supposed to be a self centering valve spool? My lever is stiff and Im not sure what way is off or on. No rpm change like its setting a relief off if i move it either. I just want to make sure its "off"
You're right! The 685, along with most of the Hy Hoe line (not the 6000), usually came with an auxiliary hydraulic circuit (minus the plumbing) available to plumb in to. It was in the swing valve circuit. There are 3 plungers in the swing valve. The outer plunger is for the swing circuit to the swing motor. The inner plunger is for the boom assist. The center plunger is the one that is available, to be used (tapped into) for auxiliary functions (hammer, compactor...). If not used, it may stick. Cable controls tend to stick/seize up, more than mechanical. If not used, just disconnect it. Check your linkage for uneven wear points, like on air brakes. Also, if you don't like the drift of the free swing & you're not using the aux. circuit, swap the plungers. the swing plunger (unless it's been changed) will be drilled at a right angle to the plunger to help to cushion the swing & the aux. plunger will be solid. Unless the spring at the rear of the plunger is broken, or there is a burr or corrosion in the plunger bore or the plunger itself, the sticking is probably in the linkage or cable (they used both). The way the plunger is designed, it is self centering , by virtue of the spring. When you let go of the control, no oil should flow through it. You should notice no bogging down or change in rpm. You may notice a 'sticking' problem with the boom assist, as few people ever used this function & the control linkage tended to seize up, stick, below the plate under your foot. The way the boom assist works, is, when you pull or push the control for the boom, if you want more flow you go right or left with it (up or down for boom), you would divert 1/2 of the flow from the swing circuit to the boom cylinders. Really increases the lift speed when lifting out of a deep hole, or clearing the edge of a ditch. Standard also was a regenerating valve to help cut the lag time on the dipper, to keep the stick moving when it is at 90 degrees to the boom. The valve was mounted behind the dipper cylinder on top of the boom. It channels (re-uses) the return oil from the cylinder (in or out) to the chosen direction of flow. Without it, or if it is worn, the dipper will slow right down, or even pause, for a moment. Hy Hoe called it a 'Hy Hoe exclusive'. When I bought my Case machines I asked them if they could install this feature along with the extra valve on my new machine. They wanted $20,000.00 extra!! So it didn't happen. The new hoes get past this lag by decreasing the size of the cylinder barrel (the rod is usually the same size, or it will bend). Reduced area to fill with oil = faster speed = less power pushing away. You still have good breakout force, as they also increase the p.s.i. but it will stall when you push the stick away, against a stump or pile of dirt. Hope that's not too much info.
The 3 spool valve that has the aux hydraulics is not the actual problem. The center spool is not hooked up to and controls. Almost my has all linkages and no cables. My machine has another spool stacked on top of that 3 spool valve and the lever that controls it is right next to the seat on the left side. My machine has the aux plumbing with quick connects out to the end of the boom but it looks like i went down the stick as well. Ill get some pictures. The almost wobble stick like boom lever functions well in all directions. Ill have to look into the regenerating valve on mine because the stick will almost free fall and then pause before moving again. I have a newer case machine at work and I experienced some free fall of the stick very slightly when i was doing some hillside work most noticeable when coming back into the ditch after dumping. Ground was pretty steep and was probably more suited for single grouser pads or a winch line.
This is the 3 spool valve we've been talking about. with swing being the left spool. center is the aux but thats not the one I'm talking about See this spool is stacked on top of this double spool. Thats the aux. looks like its one way. Stick is on this valve bank. Here is the lever that operates that spool next to the seat. This machine also has an air tank mounted under the engine and a water separator in the cab on the back wall. not sure what it would have been used for heres my serial number. anyone know how to decode the year?
Looks just like the valve bodies on our 3300 . Those were true pilot controls .The pilot had to pull all the way on the stick . We even have the same operators seat hammerdwn20 . LOL
The position of the plunger definitely doesn't look right. It looks engaged & the linkage is on too much of an angle for the clevis or turnbuckle to be mounted that way. Unless it has very short travel, but that doesn't make sense, flow wise. Is there a cap at the back end of the valve body, on the plunger (this is where the spring/self centering is), like the other plungers? This is the one that is sticking? Are the hyd. lines that come out of it the ones with the quick connects on them at their ends? Looks like they tapped into the dipper & right track motor hyd. circuit for the auxiliary hyd. circuit? The hyd. oil flow from the dipper circuit pump will be twice that of the swing circuit. There will be an O ring & a wiper (sometimes just a Quad ring) inside the bore of the valve body positioned at either end of the plunger. If the plunger goes too far it can stick there. If the linkage is too angled (it will likely stick), the clevis should be turned (with the plunger) so it is 90 degrees from where it is shown, or the linkage bent so it's straight (in line) to the bore. Could be set up for a hammer, but that would reduce the flow to the dipper & you need to use that when you're running the hammer. If I get home soon enough tomorrow, I'll look at the manual for that machine & see if I can find anything.
That spool has a very short travel. No cap on the back of the spool. Can see the spool move on the backside also. Looking at the plumbing it goes out to the one quick connect and then the other quick connect is T'd Into the return line i believe. It does not appear to be a bidirectional circuit and Could have been set up for a hammer. Machine has a 2ft rock bucket and i believe the previous own said it was used to dig test pits for some kind of engineering company.
I'm stumped. I looked at some of the old manuals & sales stuff & couldn't see that set up. Must have been for a hammer. I checked out the info. on the Hy Hoe hammer (Hy Hit 9000), but they didn't show the valving, though there is a return line. Be nice to have an old hyd. guy to check it out, hands on. If you're not using it, you could always cap it. Saw the factory specs. for the regenerating valve cycle time for the dipper. With the valve, stick full in is 3.5 seconds, without the valve, it is 16 seconds. Full out is 5 seconds with the valve & 20 seconds without it. Saw another cool/weird thing. The difference between the 895 & the 995 Brutes. This is from the sales bulletin for regional managers only, May 27, 1970. Don't quite understand it. just archival stuff. "As of NOW there are no more green & yellow machines." "We will use the designation - Model 895 for Green machine - Model 995 for Yellow machine" Factory list price, without bucket $44,900.00 add $1500.00 for the bucket. Marketing? Go figure what that means!! They were the precursors to the 5000 First machines off the line June 15th, 1970, next 4 available June 30th. When they started up, full production, in an old streetcar barn, in Milwaukee, they had 12 employees & they produced 10 Hy Hoe Backhoes a month. They manufactured an awesome 20 ton crane too. The Hy Hoe TC-800 Brute Love going through that stuff.
The year they were in that streetcar barn was 1962. The book says; the first Hy Hoe (Model 380) was designed & produced in 1957 by Elmer Mrozek
any idea on how to decode the serial number? Id like to know what year my machine is
Wish I could help you, but I'd be shooting blanks! Anybody's guess at this vintage. Probably 1968-70? There is a book, with specs/serial #'s I've seen, but I wouldn't know how to source it. I know it existed, (i was too cheap to buy it at the time) but the only two parts guys I knew, that had it, aren't around anymore. They worked for Fortress-Allat & later sold Berco undercarriages (crane/shovel & tractor undercarriages) through Equipment Sales & Service. Dealt with a sales rep. from Ritchie's once who had a book too. A lot of that older stuff stayed in print (paper) & never got uploaded. really miss the old parts guys. They could tell you in a heartbeat!! I looked at that valve set up of yours again. Found stuff with the machine being used as a power plant for a boring machine, brusher, drill... & some other Hy Hoe attachments. Could very well have been for a hammer. I saw one setup, somewhat similar, that had powered a compacter attachment.
anyway you could copy that stuff to PDF? Id be interested in seeing it. Ive got a parts book and some original sales brochures and spec sheets. I buy this stuff off ebay as it pops up.
Always thought that would be a great idea. I'm hoping to have the time over the winter to copy & upload some of that stuff. Way better for history to be out there & not in a musty old box. I compact way too many boxes of peoples memories/history's at the local landfill site & hate the idea of all that stuff being buried one day. I still have some of the shop manuals for my 1949 Mercury M68 1 ton truck. Sold the truck (still kicking myself). You'd never get that from the Ford dealer.
Over the winter I looked up the engine serial number and it makes the machine a 1968. I used it to unload an insley front shovel in December and to work on removing the dipper so i could do some other work to it as well. In the next few months i need to go after the rear main seal on the detroit and fix that hydraulic leak, replace the throttle and shutdown cables and eventually throw some paint on it.
So i put up a little video of the Hyhoe digging a hole with it to get used to the controls. Heres a video
I just picked up a Hy hoe 5000tt. I was wondering if anyone has any operating advice with the swing function? I've never run a "free swinger". What are some tricks on landing the dirt on point? Is it hard on the swing motor to bump stop the thing?
I believe there was a plant in Arnprior , Ont. I own a 680 and it's single exhaust is powered by a 4-53 screamer .
Dig yourself a flat pad to operate from , as long as the machine is level it's not too bad . If you're on a slope gravity and momentum are not your friend , you'll have to do some "other way" lever work to target your pile . I own a 680 . I try to avoid any "bump stop" action , loosing the ring gear would probably turn it into a "by the pound" machine . One thing to check is the oil level in the bell housing gear box for the pumps . There is supposed to be a sight glass on the end plate where the pumps are mounted , mine had been replaced by a frost plug , I had to re bearing all the pumps and drive gear , not cheap or fun . One thing I found was that the fuel has a long walk to the pump and if the machine sits unused for a while gravity takes it's tole , I would run the battery dead trying to start it . My cure was a small low pressure 12 volt pump near the tank , one that can by pass when not running . I turn it on for ~ 1 min. before starting and it leaps into action on the 3rd turn . I can then turn the electric pump off and it runs fine although I have forgotten to turn it off a few times and it doesn't seem to care . In winter (I'm in Queerbec") it loves it's Ginseng (ether) . Basically they're tough old dinosaurs , you won't win any races but you can dig a hole . I think the first ones were built during the transition from cable hoes and it seems the design engineers copied a lot of the stupid stuff from the cable machines , free swing , flat pad pin hinge undercarriage w/ dinosaur drive sprockets . I suppose they were looking for operator / buyer acceptance but they went to a lot of trouble and expense to make things a lot worse than they could have been . I put a pic of Dino .
Nice working machine. Good upgrade from the 6018 lol
Nothing like a screaming Detroit. Unless want to go deaf a muffler is well advised. Looks readily functional other than traction motors not locking when digging but not uncommon.
Glad you made it over here from facebook. Theres a handful of Hyhoe owners here thank can help you out with your machine.
Ive got a few odds and ends to fix. Muffler is on the list to replace the air tank that's currently being used at the muffler. There are drum brakes on each final drive and on the swing gearbox operated by master cylinders under the seat. A line lock valve keeps the pressure in the wheel cylinders. Right now none of that is hooked up. I also have to get throttle and shut down cables, a couple windows and then it will be paint time. My equipment has gotten quite a bit bigger since the 6018. Just couldn't cut it anymore. Now I've got 2 excavators, Dozer, track loader, 270a backhoe and an Insley Front shovel.
Thanks! any info is good info. It's a totally different animal than what I grew up on. I ran it for a bit the other day. There is a hiccup in the bucket spool valve. I'm going to have to pull it out and see what is catching. Does anyone know if there is a detent going either way with the bucket? I really have to stomp on the pedal. Im curious what could be hanging up inside besides done o rings and backers. Also if anyone has an owners manual that can be copied I would be interested in it.
did you remove the linkage from the spool valve and make sure nothing is binding there first. there should be no detents on the spool
I did remove it. It was free as can be. Probably need to pull the valve and see what is going on. I was not sure if there was by chance a bucket return detent. Thanks for the info. I know it is to be smooth operation.
Anyone have a lead on a bucket valve for a 5000tt?
Do you have cables or straight linkage going to the spool? I've resolved some sticking issues, that give the illusion of a detent, by servicing these. Also, be it pedal control or lever, there are the bushings on the shaft below the cab floor, including lack of grease. A bur in the mating pieces of metal cam cause sticking. It's unlikely that it would be the plunger, or the spool, but possible. The bore is always full of oil & supported along its entire length. Haven't had mine apart for a while, but there is only one 'O' ring & a wiper at each end of the plunger in the spool body. I would also take the cap off at the rear & check the condition of the spring. There is an actual ' detent ' on the back of the spool, that keeps (returns) the plunger to the 'not engaged/neutral' position, once you release the control lever from the back or forward position. You could have a 'sticking feeling' there, that makes you have to push or pull to overcome it. There are a few ball bearings in there also. This is the only place & the most common place, other than the ones I mentioned, that could cause the plunger to stick. If a parts breakdown picture from the parts book would help you I could post that. If there is damage there & you can't source the part, I may have one, but I'd check those things first.
guess it dont look too good inside? not rebuildable?
It has both types of linkages cable and solid rod. I went ahead and pulled the whole valve out. A hose came internally and a bit of wire baked itself up at the valve. I tried doing it in the machine but I made it worse driving the valve out. I took it to a friend who does hydraulics and he polished the high spot or of the valve. So I will be reinstalling it later this week. Hopefully it does not leak to much but we will see. I was able to talk to a husco engineer and he sent me the print on the spool if anyone ever needs one made. That may be a winter project if this does not work out well.
well how'd you make out?
Here ya go … 1978 3300 HY- Hoe doin it's thing . " Draining the Swamp " Swamp is full of low & high areas . HY- Hoe excavator wades out in the muck & digs a channel through the red tape allowing the water to drain . LMAO !
nice hope you keep posting videos of your machines! I subscribed
Thanks hammerdwn20 ! Swampsters are diligent but it's been awhile since they went up against a Hy-Hoe excavator . Swamp is draining . LMAO!
If anyone in NW Ohio is looking for a HyHoe, most likely for parts, there is one about to head to the scrap yard in Fremont, Ohio. I didn't grab the model #, but its a later model one with the typical excavator style undercarriage. I did grab a pic, but I don't know that I can post yet. I'll try. PM me for more info. The boom is quite patchy...
maybe a model 5000
Hard to tell by the pic, but, if it's a 5000, it'll have 2 upper carrier rollers (per side). The 6000 has 3. Looks like a 5000TT
Just finished it up. It's up and going. We filled the scratched and polished it down. It works for now. Since I had all the oil out I went ahead and resealed a leaking track motor and resealed that whole valve body. And wow that thing takes a bunch of oil. I was going 60 gallons would do it just to get by. I was not even close to the sight glad yet.
Anyone have a factory 36" bucket for a 685B. 3" pins and 12" wide stick width? Figured id try finding one before adapting a bucket from a 160 size machine.
I do have a few Hy-Hoe buckets. One is brand new (factory original), never used, with the Hy-Hoe name on the side. The rest are for Hy-Hoe but made by Nye... Sizes range from 28" to 42" Have to check for sure once the snow is gone. All but one are for 3" pins. One bucket has 2 3/4" inch holes. That would have to be line bored to 3". Once the snows gone, I'll check it out & decide what I'd like to do with them. If you're still looking.
Check out my last post (meant for you). The new unused Hy-Hoe bucket I spoke of is identical (except for being new), to the bucket on my old 685 B, that you can see in a pic I posted on page 10 of this forum, on Aug. 11, 2018. My memory is that it's a 42" bucket, with a 1 1/8 cubic yard, struck, capacity. The others range from 3/4 to 1 cubic yard & measure 24" to 40" I've had really good luck with that bucket. Was well matched for my 685 & I got both, new, direct at the Hy-Hoe dealer/factory (now long gone!). Other than an Esco.., definitely the best buckets I've had. I may be switching the bucket shown on the same pic, on the 5000 TT. That bucket (that I retrofitted) came off a J.D. 892. Capacity on that is around 1.5 + cubic yards.
im still looking here and there. I was offered a bucket off a warner swasey but im waiting on the owner to decide what he's doing with it. Im in no hurry. Frank
Hello everyone, I'm new to this site. I just purchased my first hy-hoe 3300tt. Runs good so far, I don't have much time on it but it seems like a well taken care of machine.
Hi dejong1691, I have HY-HOE 3300 for parts , see Kijiji Ad , Im in Grimsby Ontario. [email protected]
Hey guys. I've been posting over in the other Hy Hoe d iscussion HeavyEquipmentForums , but looks like there's a bit more activity here so I'm moving over. I've been working on getting a 680 out of the woods and have been fighting through hydraulic leaks from decades of corrosion on the tubing. I'm looking for recommendations to top off the hydraulic tank as it's about half full with the bucket and dipper fully retracted, the boom 3/4 retracted, and several sections of pipe drained. I don't know what was in there and I'd prefer just a quick fix to get it home where I'll pull it apart and do a proper flush of the systems and replace with good clean fluid. Also, I think it was on this thread but I remember reading something about checking oil level on the drive gears for the hydraulic pumps (it has a Cotta PD-1429) by inspecting through the mushroom breather. It's hard to see down in the case, but it doesn't appear there is much or any oil at all. No signs of rust or anything inside and it looks oily, but I'm concerned about the oil level if there should be one. If I do add oil, what type of oil would be recommended and how do you check for proper fill? Or is it lubricated with the hydraulic oil?
I beleive there were some made in Arnprior for the Canadian market . I have a 680 and it's powered by a 4-53 . Alg
There should be a sight glass on the cover plate of the gear drive about 1/4 up from the bottom . I think mine takes ~ 6 qts / ltrs , I put gear oil in mine but a friend who worked on the pipeline said they used to pour in a gallon of used engine oil every time they changed the oil on the 4-53 lol . Apparently theirs was a leaker . I had to re bearing mine in the middle of a field so now I check it regularly . I installed an electric low pressure (5psi) feul pump on mine near the tank to help starting . I used to run the battery dead just trying to pump the fuel up to the pump at the top of the engine , now I turn on the electric pump and let it run for a bit and it starts right up . Alg
Thanks for the info. I'll check next time I'm out there and can get the rear cover off. Sounds like something is better than nothing back there!
Would you have hydraulic schematic for 3300t I bought parts to try and hydrostatic drive on old trencher do not which bits go with which bobs also in Ontario would come look at yours .I do not have biggest pump if you know model # Thanks for now
Hi td25c I'm new to forum bought engine and pumps some valving from fellow scraping T3300. He wants valve I believe is supplied by smaller upper pump 26GPM that runs ground drive as best I can tell from his cut off lines was look for hydraulic schematic .Thanks for now
Was wondering how you made out finding air breather filter assume yours is square multi celled .I'm looking for same thing ,also was wondering if you know how to get a hold of fellow in Perth Ontario, or if you would mind if looked at your hydraulic lines or could send pic .Mostly turn table hook up and ground drive valving /piping
Farr produced those Cell type Square filters. Check with your filter supplier as to a Cross Reference against the dimensions and Cell Count.