Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old Hymac excavator

Nick Drew · 2007-05-19 15:24

Here is another example of an old British excavator this is a Hymac 580BT these Hymacs were originally copied fom an American Design from a company called Hy-Hoe there were over 10,000 models in various guises built here in the UK.

Replies30
  1. #1DigDug2007-05-19 18:23

    neat pics of old excavators. Keep them coming.

  2. #2OKYLE2007-05-19 19:08

    does it still run? looks like the hoses on it are in decent shape...

  3. #3Truckie2007-05-20 06:34

    Cool pictures. Keep’em coming. The cab is on the wrong side.

  4. #4Nick Drew2007-06-03 12:52

    Yes Okyle, This machine is still a runner and the owner is hoping to start using her in the summer on ditch cleaning duties! The Hymac machines were reletively simple machines so you don't need to be a brain surgeon to sort any problems out !! There are still many of these machines still doing a good job for their owners around Europe.

  5. #5d4c24a2007-06-03 13:15

    rare beast heres a rare beast i found today in a disused chalk pit ,it looks like its been sat for a long time

  6. #6Nick Drew2007-06-03 13:24

    Wow!! Where is she lying ?? Don't get to see many of them anymore !! Never got to have a go on one of those, but did get 15 minutes in an 880 once, it was working on a sewer line job in Riverside Park in Southampton on hire from Reed & Mallick a long gone firm from the past!! Seemed like a big old tool in those days compared to the 580's, big Volvo engine in it if my memory serves me right?? I was only a teenager then!!

  7. #7d4c24a2007-06-03 13:36

    more stuff here are some more bits of kit rusting away

  8. #8Nick Drew2007-06-03 13:42

    Hymac Synchron 1301 Here are some shots of a Hymac Synchron 1301 that I come across on a recent trip back up to my home city of Southampton you dont see many of these about either. They were Hymacs last throw of the dice in the early 90's, too bad they couldn't make a go of it I think this could of been a good machine!! I was due to demonstrate one of these at SED I think it was around 91-92 on the middle day of the show but it had broken down on the first day I think it stripped its seal pack off the piston in the dipper ram so they left it parked up on the heap for the rest of the show!!

  9. #9Nick Drew2007-06-03 13:49

    Hi D4C, Thanks for the PM I know that road well!! Looks like an old Priestman Mustang there also 160 or a 220 used to do a bit on them 220's aswell I thought they were a great old tool!! Anyone got anymore old Priestman pics??

  10. #10iceberg2102007-06-03 15:11

    Too bad about that Massey looks in pretty good condition I'm sure would make an excellent crawler loader for someone.

  11. #11d4c24a2007-06-03 15:53

    preistman yes nick that is a 160 ex trentham ,the engine has gone ,track frames are in the bushes just about ready for the smelter the little scraper box is a heli 9 yrd i think the old D4 would pull it iceberg the massey has new u/c on it but it must have a problem as the loader is blocked up at the front

  12. #12Crusher2009-02-15 11:21

    hi guys I am new to this site, but I have learned a bit just reading the forums. I was just doing some searching on my old HY-HOE 680 that I purchased last year, trying to find out any info on this old iron, I will post some pics later, for now I am enjoying the pics posted Thanks

  13. #13mattice2009-04-02 00:11

    hy hoe :Banghead:Banghead:Banghead:Banghead does anyone out there know where i could find a swing house gearbox for a 695C hy hoe excavator? i have one in good shape except the gears in the gear box. help:notworthy

  14. #14KarlMc2009-11-08 08:04

    hymac hey guys im new to this site and im very interested in the old hymacs... i have one question im interested in the 580c model and im wondering, you know on the hitchi kobelco komatsu jcb and cat etc to move the tracks you have leavers in front of you knees and they can be moved with your hands/feet were are they on the hymacs? thanks

  15. #15d4c24a2009-11-08 15:17

    hi welcome ,the tracking levers on a hymac are down the side of the seat one each side cheers graham

  16. #16dixiebob2009-11-17 13:56

    hi.hymac pictures of Hymac Synchron 1301 iis not synchron it,s 141c made by john kennedys hymac in 1991-2

  17. #17dixiebob2009-11-17 14:04

    hi, this machineis not a Hymac Synchron 1301 in your pictures it a 141c made by john kennedy in 1991-2

  18. #18ianoz2009-11-18 02:59

    Hi Dixiebob, Nick got himself banned ,so don't expect a reply from him. And welcome to the forum by the way . ian.

  19. #19dixiebob2009-11-18 04:52

    hi thanks for leting me know about nick getting banned,i got a picture of the first Hymac Synchron made as i was working at hymac 1984-93 ,thank

  20. #20gibbs2009-11-18 15:25

    thanks lads.

  21. #21ianoz2009-11-19 02:14

    Hi Dixiebob ,If you want to get hold of him to tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about .He is on the classic machinery network forum . Give him heaps . ian.

  22. #22the wizard2010-01-26 16:16

    HELLO ALL I dont believe it a ** or Hanomag 500 and aPriestman 160 on the same site ! Are they still there ? or has the scrap man claimed another victory! Where on earth are they? Even though only half a Priestman

  23. #23d4c24a2010-01-27 11:53

    machines as far as i know they are still there, not to far from petersfield hampshire i hope to go back soon to see if they are still there some more from the same place cheers graham

  24. #24the wizard2010-01-28 03:22

    thanks would love to know if still there. Newer plant good but for me the older stuff holds more interest partly grew up with and with different ideas and designs not designed by computer . The reason I mentioned those two was used Hanomag 400C and 400D inthe 1980s and didnt think would be any 160s (even part of ) left. Looks like either breakers or unused quarry ? Hope to hear from you soon Bill

  25. #25waller922011-03-28 07:34

    Hi Dixiebob u have worker for hymac I have a 1301 with hyd problems got the pump looked at 2 times but still labours all the time could u please give me some info please thanks

  26. #26maddog2011-03-28 08:12

    thanks for the pictures

  27. #27shopteacher 12011-03-28 10:14

    Thanks guys for the wonderful pictures - I enjoyed them!

  28. #28RDG2011-03-29 06:36

    A Hymac 580 BT and a Massey 450s were two of the first excavators I ever had a go on, was back in NZ in the early 70s. I also worked in quarry in NZ that had 3 Hymac 1290s I think they were, 2 were backhoes and one was a face shovel, as far as I know they are still parked in skid row in the quarry. Cheers RDG.

  29. #29volvobl2011-04-04 18:41

    :beatsme:beatsmedidnt hymac do a machine similar cab as the cat in the 80s thats all i remember on the c series is you had pedal on the floor some say it was to push the dipper in and out for quicker loading i think and that the others were for the tracks i no on the rb 150 it was 1 lever by the side of the operating levers

  30. #30cjplanthire2012-02-15 13:19

    i wouldnt mind getting a 580bt myself if anyone knows of one parked in a ditch somewhere in the uk or ireland let me know, i would buy more than one ,but im looking for it for restoration ,i currently have an old oleomat under the knife for restoration