Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old machine bucket teeth options?

colson04 · 2023-07-16 10:59

I've got a Deere 310A that has a well worn smooth cutting edge that is in need of attention. My 753 Bobcat with a toothed bucket can easily dig into a pile where the backhoe struggles to get half a bucket or less. Would some bolt on teeth adapters like these work to get the bucket to cut into a bank better for a reasonable budget? These are what my Bobcat has. Would the backhoe have too much power and snap these off? I think it is rated about the same HP as my Bobcat is, or fairly close. Both are 4 cylinder N/A Diesels. I would think that having enough teeth spaced reasonably close together would be sufficient to break into a pile without breaking off the teeth, say 9-12" tooth spacing. I think my Bobcat bucket has them at 12" spacing. I have multiple piles of dirt that I need moved around my property that need moved to a fill area, and a bank to finish cutting back. I would like to get this backhoe to be more efficient as it Canova about 1.5 yards per cycle compared to .5 yards on the Bobcat.

Replies21
  1. #163 caveman2023-07-16 11:11

    Have you tried just loosening up the pile with the hoe. I think even with teeth that 2WD 310 would have a hard time just hogging into a tight pile.

  2. #2colson042023-07-16 12:17

    Yea, breaking the pile with the hoe is standard practice when using the 310A. The 310 can easily get a full bucket with a loose pile. I think it could do ok breaking into a pile with a toothed bucket, as it seems like the bucket just can't cut into the pile to fill itself. I have a smooth edge bucket for my Bobcat that acts the same. It won't cut into pile, wants to skip over hard pack, but switching to the tooth bucket allows the same machine to easily fill get a full bucket. I'm willing to try it, just wondering if anyone else has gone the same route, or if there is a more ideal add on tooth option. Growing up on a farm, we only run bolt on smooth cutting edges. We'll go through a couple of them every year scraping manure and moving sand. I don't really have any experience with bucket teeth, or what's available.

  3. #3joe--h2023-07-16 12:46

    How about take one of your old cutting edges and get some weld on shanks & teeth? Joe H

  4. #4terex herder2023-07-16 16:02

    I've a large wheel loader with home made teeth. Just a couple of pieces of heavy flat bar welded into a vee to fit the cutting edge, and sections of cutting edge welded on top for wear. Retained by bolt through existing holes in the cutting edge. 5 teeth, 4" wide, on a 9' bucket. Made a whole different machine digging virgin dirt, and come off quickly for stockpile work.

  5. #5CM19952023-07-16 16:17

    Might want to try a tooth bar if you need the smooth bucket for cleaning up. Never used one of these but might do the trick. Toothbars & Cutting Edges attachmentsintl.com

  6. #6colson042023-07-16 16:32

    I'll have to look into the tooth bar setup. After pondering while mowing this afternoon, I'm going to strip the teeth off my Bobcat bucket (bolt on adapters) and fit them to the backhoe for a test run. If they work well, I can just buy replacements to fit back to the Bobcat bucket and leave the older ones on the backhoe.

  7. #7Jimothy2023-07-16 20:52

    if I could have teeth all the time I would, imagine chewing a steak without teeth… better be a damn good steak!

  8. #8Welder Dave2023-07-18 04:13

    The bolt on teeth should work. A tooth bar might be more practical though. You probably notice on your Bobcat that it's like a totally different machine with teeth. I think it would be the same on a backhoe. I did a job one time digging up some old super packed gravel. Smooth bucket on skid steer wouldn't touch it. Put on tooth bucket and piece of cake. Of course it was the 1 job I didn't bring the tooth bucket and arranged for a dump truck to haul it away. Oops, had to pay extra for the truck to wait till I got back with the tooth bucket. If I recall the customer understood and didn't mind splitting the cost and paying an extra half hour. I think it was only $20 at the time. I couldn't believe how packed the gravel was. there was nothing unusual when I did get it dug up.

  9. #91693TA2023-07-18 06:38

    Maybe I missed it but how did your Bobcat engine resealing project turn out?

  10. #10Willie B2023-07-18 08:02

    I don't think putting teeth on that is a good idea. Those are not designed for the abuse a payloader might get. The transmission in your two wheel drive doesn't allow much slip except slipping the clutch. Tire chains work wonders on them, & if you want teeth I would suggest removing the light duty cutting edge, replacing it with a much heavier edge. I've had a 410 & a 410C. The "C" was exponentially better loader machine. The torque converter allowed it to push into a pile without spinning. Four wheel drive is also amazing. Learn to shave the pile when filling. A master operator lays the bucket flat proceeding into the pile, then curl & lift taking a thin slice of the slope of the pile. With practice it fills the bucket to capacity. Back drag the pile to scoop a less steep face.

  11. #11Welder Dave2023-07-18 16:29

    I think teeth would be OK as long as your not trying to use your backhoe like a wheel or track loader digging into banks or similar. Teeth make a huge difference on packed material or even things like digging up sod.

  12. #12PeterG2023-07-18 17:29

    There is a Company call Hayspear which I have used. They make an adapter plate for your machine. This would allow you to use your bobcat attachments on your 310. Then you could use a real digging bucket, light materials bucket, and pallet forks, etc.

  13. #13Willie B2023-07-19 08:08

    I was once Selectman in my small town. I'd get an endless flow of advertising. A company I no longer remember the contact information, made a cutting edge to weld on or bolt on with teeth cut into it. I feel like Rzeppa or something like that was the manufacturer .

  14. #14Tinkerer2023-07-19 14:14

    I would put a 6 inch wide by 5/8 inch thick bolt on cutting under your worn out one. I would also to take the new one somewhere that does water jet cutting and have holes cut for bolt-on shanks. Shanks that accept #23 teeth would be my choice because they are readily available and cheap. You can always remove the shanks so that you have a smooth cutting edge to clean off concrete. I paid less than $300.00 delivered for a cutting edge like I described, and it had predrilled holes for the bolts. It was almost 100 inches wide. I cut it down to 96 inches for my loader bucket.

  15. #15gggraham2023-07-19 15:40

    We sell a lot of those #23 teeth to customers just for that purpose. I was just about to suggest the same thing you did. Cheers!

  16. #16AzIron2023-07-21 06:04

    23 series all the way but something to consider is you may bow the bucket trying to cut a face with teeth those older 310s were not made with this in mind

  17. #17Welder Dave2023-07-21 14:09

    A bolt on edge and then teeth would strengthen the bucket significantly.

  18. #18colson042023-07-22 10:20

    Rezloh. They're still available

  19. #19colson042023-07-22 10:26

    @Tinkerer , I think the bolt on cutting edge with bolt on teeth would be a solid plan. I'll call my closest dealer and see what the rate is for an 84" bolt on cutting edge. The ones I googled were $350 shipped to my door. If the dealer is competitive, I'll go through them. I'm not certain, but I think the bolt on teeth adapters I shared earlier in this thread are 23 series. The shank/tooth design certainly looks similar to what I just googled. So, all in, ~$500 for a new cutting edge and teeth. Have to decide if I need all of that or not.

  20. #20crane operator2023-07-22 12:45

    Its only money, live a little. Dig up one of the mason jars from the garage floor.

  21. #21crane operator2023-07-23 08:54

    Tell the kids no new shoes this year for school. Tell the wife no hair and nail salon for the next 6 months. Quit getting the car detailed. Cut the booze out of your daily routine. Pray for a windstorm to boost the tree cutting business. Opportunities are boundless.....