Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

old Mack

muddobber ยท 2008-12-18 19:59

Any want to give a guess as to a good price for this truck. All I know is 1970, R600, Mack engine 200,000 miles give or take a few. every thing works as best as I can tell. comes with a eager beaver nine ton tag along. Never had a Mack.

Replies20
  1. #1cat3202008-12-18 20:28

    I'm going to take a gues with the trailer maybe $ 7-8K . but i would just do a quick serch on truck paper first . she looks like a beauty a little paint and she will look real nice she sits real high like an RD and I like that long body does it have a quad box in there? I looked a an r-400 dump along time ago and it had the qud in it .

  2. #2woodchuck22008-12-19 15:15

    Hard to say, most truck of that size around here go for at least $5k depending on condition. That truck appears to be in decent shape and would look much better with a coat of paint. How are the tires, brakes, king pins, hydrolics, clutch, etc? Obviously how badly rotted is the trailer?

  3. #3muddobber2008-12-19 21:38

    new king pins and brakes, hydraulics good, clutch good trailer has new tires and new oak floor this spring

  4. #4muddobber2008-12-19 21:40

    no quad. maxitorque T2050

  5. #5cat3202008-12-20 19:36

    looks like if you put a good coat of paint on the cab you will have a nice truck. alot of old macks still going strong up here.

  6. #6muddobber2008-12-20 20:39

    Went ahead and bought truck and trailer. 4,500 for both so the detroit has been replaced by a Mack.

  7. #7Preppypyro2008-12-20 20:43

    4500 was a good deal for sure man, the trailer alone, if in DECENT shape would be worth at least half of that!

  8. #8nedly052008-12-21 08:46

    Good buy!! we're gonna need more picks of that old sweety!!

  9. #9muddobber2008-12-29 20:18

    pics Took a while to get more pictures been looking for a few parts and getting ready to paint. Looking for a 6speed 2 stick or air shift used can't afford rebuilt.

  10. #10nedly052008-12-30 05:26

    Its gonna look great, I just know it I like the barn, what the dimensions? how high is the ceiling? did you build it yourself?

  11. #11mikef872008-12-30 12:29

    I bet this truck is worth about $4,000. I'm a diehard R-model guy. Those trucks do not die, they will crawl up and over a mountain. Try and do that with a new truck and the rear end is blown to pieces. The new trucks have their perks with the comfort, and speed, but when push comes to shove those R-models will last a million times longer than a fancy electronic truck.

  12. #12muddobber2008-12-30 12:42

    Building is 40x64x14ft doors 16ft ceiling.Built trusses and all concrete included.

  13. #13muddobber2009-03-14 13:27

    new old Mack Almost done. Been three months.

  14. #14cat3202009-03-14 16:11

    that's looking nice making me drool already .

  15. #15mudmaker2009-03-14 16:37

    That project really makes me wish I had kept my old mack and put a dump box on it. Sold it with my ready mix plant last summer. Those are good old trucks. I am going to have to keep an eye out for one!

  16. #16DarrylMueller2009-03-14 16:54

    I have only had Mack's. If it's a Mack engine? 675, good for you they are bullet proof. It's probably a 5 speed? Was it a converted truck tractor, that OK. I have a Mack 1976 RS 797 LST 375 hp V8 15 speed over drive, 44,000 rears, 15 ft dump bed and pulls a 22 ton tilt trailer. If you take care of it & do the service you will never wear it out. I just do regular oil change and service each year. Good Luck!

  17. #17willie592009-03-14 19:13

    Are you going to replace your tranny with another Maxitorque? I would, those trannies are built like an anvil. Their triple countershaft design makes them a very strong transmission.

  18. #18muddobber2009-03-16 12:12

    Already put in a 2 stick six speed. I also rebuilt the compressor no more waiting for air to build up. Got this one almost done looks like a RD is next

  19. #19Mike Mc2009-03-17 00:59

    Nice job Mud :notworthy Glad you took off the cheesy addition front push bar. Now post some action pics

  20. #20cat3202009-03-17 12:01

    I drove my friends dm it had 2 stick 5 with the overdrive so i guess the same as what you put in they call it a six spd.