I just stumbled onto a old Mack on GSA auctions in New Mexico. It states it is an 83 R9. I would look at it myself, but my current shop situation, or lack there of really limits my projects. From what it says it sounds like it had a tank of some sort on it and now has a mixer body. I noticed it doesnt have a hyd pump out the front so I am not sure how they were powering the mixer. It is hard to tell from the picture as there is only one. Anyway here is a link to the GSA website. In the upper right corner there is a place you can browse by state. Select New Mexico and it should be on the list. BTW, the current price is only $30, but its open until 4/2 http://gsaauctions.gov
That looks like a DM600 Mack and Mack had a power takeoff in those years that ran whenever the engine was running.It has been a lot of years since I looked at where it was connected to the drivetrain but it was in the transmission area and it seems like it was behind the bellhousing ahead of the transmission.It was noisy but it never gave any problems to my knowledge.The only maintainance required was greasing the Ujoints in the prop shaft to whatever it was driving. The mixer looks to be hydraulically driven and the hydraulic pump could be under the truck driven by the PTO. It may not even be powered,it may be there for the ride to the auction,you can't really tell from the pic.Ron G
That is what I was leaning toward as well.
It's a shame they have such a crappy photo of the rig! It look like it's in good shape. It does look like the DM model to me as well, I didn't thing the R model had the offset cab. :beatsme
I can't remember the exact nomenclature but I think "R" stood for offset cab and the conventional cab was "U"......I think.Ron G
I had it backwards.......The "R" is the conventional cab,the "U" was the offset cab.I Googled it. .Ron G
It says 8cyl diesel. That R9...must be E9, like either 440 or 500hp V8 Mack! That would haul the mail.
R models be they RB, or RD don't have off set cabs. That honor is saved for the DM based line. Not one of Mack's better ideas in my book even though they build a gazillion of them over the years.
There are many Mack tractors over the years that have offset cabs and they were not the DM model.The freight companies bought gazillions of them.Ron G
Ron, those would be "U" model macks.
Right,read post #5 and 6 here.Ron G