Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

old man with a backhoe and not much mechanical knowledge needing help

Haroldf ยท 2014-01-26 17:23

I am retired, from the wonderful US Navy and from working. I purchased my first backhoe (primarily because I need one for about 2 months to cleans up some of my property and because I have always wanted one). I purchased a Case 580BCK. I cannot begin to tell you the year, do not where to look to find any clues. It appears to have been well maintained. It has been sitting for a while, the brakes rusted but my friend and I seem to have freed them so now the machine will back up and go forward. Having trouble getting it into gear while running, have to shut it off and put in gear and start, something not quite right. The controls for the hoe were not functioning, my friend took off the assembly and took it completely apart and rebuilt it, works fine. Got to get some teeth, only have nubs. I do have two large bolts, about 1 1/2 inch, one in front of the other. I think the rear is the transmission (fluid is milky). I suspect the fron one is hydraulic oil. Can anyone tell me if I am correct on the transmission oil and hydraulic oil fill spots?

Replies5
  1. #1sheepfoot2014-01-26 18:19

    The hyd oil is in the loader frames, the rear trans/rear end is the back dipstick on the floor, the front dipstick close to the brake pedals is the shuttle oil.

  2. #2Haroldf2014-01-26 19:00

    thanks. what is the loader frames, the front bucket loader? What do you mean by shuttle oil? I am sorry but I really have no knowledge of this equipment yet, but I will learn. Where is the reservoir?

  3. #3sheepfoot2014-01-26 19:22

    The s/n tag is on the rt side of the steering wheel, lower than the dash, facing the loader control lever. Is your machine a gas or diesel ?, does the backhoe have two boom cylinders to raise the backhoe ?. Also need info on the shuttle, does you machine have a small rod from the rt foot pedal that runs to a cam plate or does it have a rod that goes down to the lower trans case?. If it runs to the cam plate it is a power shuttle, if the rod runs to the lower trans case it's a mech shuttle, Their was also a hydro-stat in some. The questions and answers are to help you better with the other members since these were build several ways.

  4. #4sheepfoot2014-01-26 19:35

    The machine has two frames the loader arms hook to, rt side and lt side, the hyd system is for the loader and backhoe only and this is it's reservoir that holds it oil inside them. The machine has a single power steering pump that works the steering cylinders, and steering valve only. The machine rear axle and trans do not mix oil with the shuttle, rear axle and trans use a gear lube in them. The shuttle is the forward and reverse only and use a trans convertor fluid. Then if it has a mech shuttle it also has its own fluid.

  5. #5Delmer2014-01-26 20:53

    I don't know case, just trying to answer some of your questions better. The fluid shouldn't be milky, you probably knew that, it either has water or air mixed in with the fluid, if it's the transmission/rear end that should have gear oil then it's probably water. Loosen the drain plug enough to let the fluid seep out the loose threads and drain until the water stops, then check the fluid level and decide if you want to drain all of the fluid or top it up. You'll want to replace all of the fluids eventually but you might want to make sure you have as many issues fixed before that so you don't end up draining clean oil. On other makes it's not uncommon to have trouble shifting into gear. Start it in gear and when you need to change gears you can usually shift quickly into another gear without grinding. Or at idle shift into reverse (or forward) then put it in gear as the shaft slows and before it starts spinning the direction the shuttle tends to spin it. Not sure if this is normal, just what I've seen on other brand machines.