Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

old military style forklift

J-man345 ยท 2011-11-14 17:01

Can any one tell me what this is?

Replies10
  1. #1Trashman2011-11-14 18:12

    An old POS?

  2. #2Yellowirondude2011-11-14 18:58

    x2 to trashman. I can say though, looks euro or canadian. I am pretty knowledgeable of former US military gear, if it is US (which I doubt), I would venture on the realms of a unimog knock-off. BUT.....I doubt it is even military. good luck....if you have any more pics, they may be helpful.... Regards, YID

  3. #3BDFT2011-11-14 21:31

    It looks like it started life as a Canadian or Australia F15 Ford. They were used throughout WW2 as transports, radio trucks, gun trucks and just about anything else the troops could think up. This one may have had the forklift mounted during the war or after it was sold as surplus.

  4. #4DoosanFan2011-11-15 09:04

    Check this big beauty out http://www.pktrucks.com/stock/view/div2408-Caterpillar-DV43-50K-4x4-container-handler/ I want one

  5. #5Yellowirondude2011-11-15 19:07

    Yessir....that is more commonly by the DOD called a RTCH Rough Terrain Container Handler. I will see I can dig up my photos on it and post on a new thread. On the "forks" you see in the pic, there is a carriage frame that has pineapple hydro locks on the four corners. Used to pick up 20 and 40 foot ISO containers. A beast indeed. Regards, YID

  6. #6Yellowirondude2011-11-19 15:45

    Here is the link Regards, YID

  7. #7stondad2011-12-12 21:28

    In Australia (and no doubt the U.K.) we call WWII trucks with that type cabs "Blitz Buggies" or "Blitz Wagons". There were many and various sizes and builds by different manufacturers. I've seen them here with drilling rigs, fixed and luffing cranes to the rear and luffing cranes over the cab to the front. But I've never seen one until now with a rear mounted forklift! Rear mounted forklifts on light trucks were fairly common here until a few years ago. They were home made and used for unloading pallets of bricks and roof-tiles on new home sites. They typically had a second driver station looking to the back for use when working but retained the original truck controls for going from job to job. The one you have pictured would have had the advantage of being 4x4. @BDFT Is that your restoration? Very nice!

  8. #8BDFT2011-12-13 17:08

    No. Those are just some pics I pulled off the internet. I know a guy who restores them, though. He's rebuilt a Canadian 25 hundredweight, a Canadian radio truck and an American deuce and a half.He's always looking for them. Parts are hard to come by.

  9. #9EarthwurmJurm2011-12-14 03:27

    haha outstanding. you took the words right out of my mouth.

  10. #10ALDURAIHEM-EST2012-01-08 16:54

    Serr