Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old railroad stuff

Welder Dave · 2024-05-26 01:20

Not sure what this is but it's old.

Replies8
  1. #156wrench2024-05-26 08:43

    I think its for smoothing the gravel on the sides of the railway grades

  2. #2mowingman2024-05-26 12:42

    It is a Jordan Spreader.

  3. #3DDoug2024-05-26 18:06

    "Ballast".....

  4. #4Camshawn2024-05-26 21:31

    Ballast, snow removal, ditch building or clearing, snow removal. The wings open up drop, angle blade on the end moves as well. Kind of a grader that runs on train tracks.

  5. #5Welder Dave2024-05-26 21:39

    The car in front of it is a giant V plow for snow. I don't know if it would follow behind or not. They could be unrelated.

  6. #6Camshawn2024-05-26 21:53

    A Russel snow plow. The big wedge only opens up the width of the plow. The Jordan spreader will push the snow back further. Russel plows are obsolete. Jorden spreaders are still around. The old Jordan’s were steam powered, I would guess the newer ones are hydraulic.

  7. #7mowingman2024-05-27 09:23

    The car to the right, looks like the ear end of a Russell snow plow.

  8. #8Bumpsteer2024-05-27 22:45

    The Jordans I've seen used air from the locomotive. I guess the cylinders don't care if its air and not steam. Ed