Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Supercharged Cummins NHRS W/Onan generator

William T Wills · 2024-05-07 11:41

I have Been given the task of getting a large generator running. It has a cummins NHRS engine. Mid 50's I believe. I have acquired a parts manual for it but am in serious need of any service information possible. I apologize if I posted in the wrong category. Thank you very much for any help

Replies8
  1. #1Truck Shop2024-05-07 19:24

    Member that might have a spec manual--kshansen. I don't have anything complete that goes back that far. But there is Barrington Diesel online source for older Cummins.

  2. #2Junkyard2024-05-07 21:40

    I have some old Cummins stuff, looks like it was printed shortly after the Declaration of Independence. I’ll see if there’s coverage for that old girl.

  3. #3mekanik2024-05-07 21:50

    Could you post some pictures?

  4. #4Birken Vogt2024-05-07 21:54

    Over on the web site smokstak.com we discuss antique generators and there is one or two antique Cummins guys on there who probably have specific knowledge of this unit.

  5. #5William T Wills2024-05-08 09:48

    I will get some pictures when I get back out there. Thank you for your time

  6. #6petepilot2024-05-09 21:30

    I have a shop manual that covers just about everything as well as parts manuals for all h series cummins

  7. #7kshansen2024-05-10 07:43

    I do have a shop manual that includes the NHRS-6. It does not have anything about the fuel pump. I'm guessing the first step I would take would be to see if it even turns over. If you need spec's like valve setting I could scan some pages.

  8. #8William T Wills2025-09-26 09:51

    I apologize for not getting back to all you gentleman. Thank you all for your time and willingness to help. Long story short I changed engine oil and filter, changed fuel filter. Put in some new batteries, my brilliantness didn't realize it should have been wired in 24v so after that light bulb kicked on I ran a new hose and return into a fuel tank with new fuel. Gave her a snort of go juice and that beast fired up and ran like a top. Will see if I have the video still