Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old School!

melbo ยท 2016-08-23 22:46

Just a post to show the old unit I'm trying to figure out how to operate: an American 375 BC

Replies9
  1. #1lantraxco2016-08-24 00:11

    :usa

  2. #2Willie B2016-08-24 06:50

    Does the BC stand for Before Christ? Willie

  3. #3melbo2016-08-24 11:25

    LOL! Could be! This thing certainly asks for some spiritual powers to understand!

  4. #4old-iron-habit2016-08-24 20:05

    I don't think Americal ever changed the controls much for years on their cranes. They may have moved some levers here and there but they still did the same thing. Biggest thing is figuring what to set where to turn and walk straight. I would bet an operators manual from a 599 or 5299 or any of the smaller machines would give you enough information to figure it out. If I sat in one I would probably remember most of it but its been over 40 years.

  5. #5Rob Gunn2016-08-26 15:41

    Been there, done that. I had a old Bantum dragline years ago. It just takes practice. I never got good at it but I could make it dig. I do have a old timer friend that made his living for many years operating old draglines. It was amazing to watch him dig. I swear he could land the bucket within a foot of wherever he was aiming, and much of the time way beyond the actual reach of the crane. Basically he could cast the bucket the same as I could cast with a fishing pole. My hats off to the "Old guys"!

  6. #6catskinner 102016-08-26 20:42

    I broke in 1965 on a Koehring 205 dragline. Looks a lot like that machine. The only "air" on that rig was the engine fan. Those were the days! Tom

  7. #7melbo2016-08-27 01:47

    Thanks for the reply- this is certainly an attentive group. We'll be selling this crane when we get her running and we'll post a video of that. Cheers.

  8. #8lantraxco2016-08-27 04:31

    I for one have no actual life to speak of, lol

  9. #9Tugger2016-08-28 17:01

    Nice looking Machine,im almost afraid to ask where in Washington it is.I might have to come for a look.