Ok, I'm a newb to the heavy equipment. I just purchased this John Deere 655 Track loader, 1984 vintage. Can someone tell me what to look for? Says the hydraulics are good, no smoke from the motor (recently rebuilt) and the UC is about 70%. He's going to deliver tomorrow and I really need help on what to look for. Any problems w/ these specific models? We just purchased 40 acres and i'm looking to clear trees and dig out a pond area.....Sort of a weekend warrior. I'm a car nut and don't know much about these.... Thanks for your help and insight! Greg
I am not familiar with the 655 but if that uses the uses the same hydrostatic drive as the bigger machines - you should work it hard for a several hours and see if it still tracks straight . Also those sprockets look worn - you should look at the pins and bushings - they may need turning or replacing Did they say why its got single grousers on it?
Stupid question...what are single grousers? Should it of had double originally? Also, what would it cost to replace pins/busings/sprockets on something like this?
The grousers are the lengthwise elevated sections upon each pad that provide grip and traction. Track links are the individual chain sections that the drive wheel (sprocket) contact.....pads are the flat sections that sit atop and are bolted to them.......grousers are the elongated raised "ridges" on the pads. You might think of them as the cleats on the bottom of sports shoes. For just tooling around on 40 acres and building a tank, you are just fine. I'd put the UC more around 40-50% if you were looking at the machine as a full time, money-making unit you were planning a business around. Your situation, not a big problem, unless you're hoping to maximize re-sale whatever that might be in a few years when you're done and tired of it. Most track-loaders out of the factory have a double-grouser pad (think two shorter, less pronounced grousers as opposed to the one larger one here) for more all purpose use and less damage to more sensitive terrain. But, is it just me, or do JD TLs seem to come around for sale more often with single grousers than any other trackloader makes....??? OK buy, never fun to spend that kind of money. I'd worry much more about the engine and tranny (leaks, sounds, fluids, useage) to get your jobs done. Then expect your buy to progressively decrease in value. IT WILL devalue. No two ways about it. You can do little or nothing to increase it's resale value. Treat it good. Take care of obvious glaring issues. Do your jobs. And don't expect to get what you paid for it back if/when you sell it in 3....5....10 years time. Good luck and enjoy the new toy, er, tool.....
Thanks Joe! I'm paying not quite $9k for the loader (or 90 hours of work at $100/hr.) The way I look at it.... if I can get $9k worth of tree removal/work on the land then I scored on the deal. Anything extra is just a bonus. ....Even if I have to sale the thing for parts afterwards. I just want to make sure i don't have to sink a ton of $$$$ right after purchasing. He says the engine is in great shape and was recently overhauled. (otherwise I probably wouldn't even be interested.) I also want to make sure this particular model wasn't a dud to begin with. Thanks for all your help!! Greg
greg, these loaders if running right are a power house!! Fun to run but if its anything like the ones i've been on the pumps will whine and kind of get annoying by lunch. I would pull the belly pans, guards, and shields that will come off, off. Make sure drive pumps are not leaking and hydraulic pump. Also give the radiator a good checking over and keep a gallon of coolant behind the seat. Some where know to over heat when worked really hard. Change your fuel filters every so often. They weren't junk by no means but they are starting to show their age. One last thing is the take off the battery cable or flip the battery disconnect off after everyday. Rather then that greg. let loose and give her hell. Its a Deere it can handle it!