Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bobcat T180 Drive Motor failure.

systemsfarm ยท 2010-04-17 23:13

Here is the scenario, Under normal use the drive on one side of the machine just stops working. It appeared that the sprocket wanted to turn (forward/ reverse) but only a wee bit in either direction. Concerned about this as a failure like this seemed odd relative to the low hours on the clock 1300hrs+/_. I decide to send the machine to a very reputable HD mechanic that I use for other equipment. Typically all of the service on this T180 is done by a Bobcat dealership. What is found is that a roller in the drives pump has broken free and that metal edges that once held the roller in place have done major damage. The damage is significant. Failure like this seemed very unusual for a machine with the hours of this. Upon further investigation, the carriers on the front side of the drive, that the sprocket bolt to were checked for the synthetic oil that they are to contain. When the drain plug was removed there was almost no fluid in the carrier and it did not resemble a synthetic oil as you would expect. Here is the theory from my HD Mechanics stand point. Failure to service the carrier based on the Bobcat service schedule intervals has been a direct contributor resulting in the failure of the drive motor as the bearing on the carrier side has been thrown (damaged), Hence putting strain/pressure on the drive motor. This does seem plausible to me as the these two components are connected via a male / female splined shaft. Note: I am not a mechanic, but do know my ass from a hole in the ground. The service schedule for the T180 calls for the 45ml of synthetic oil to be changed at 500hr and at 1000hr.... and on and on. Here's the problem. My dealership has admitted that they did not know that they were to change the carrier oil and hence have not done it at the either the 500hr service or the 1000 hr service. Remember the machine only has 1300 hrs on it. The dealership requested that I ship the machine to them so they could extract any codes from the computer and send some picture to Bobcat USA as they were trying to get them to cover the replacement drive. I asked the dealership if the told Bobcat that they failed to replace the carrier oil at the prescribed 500 and a 1000 hour, They said "We sent them the paper work". Well I have the paper work that they sent, being service invoices that say the did a 500 hr service and another saying they did a 1000hr service. This is a very broad blanket statement on the invoices and line items as per the service manual are not outlined on the work order/invoice. In my mind the dealership did NOT tell Bobcat USA that they didn't do what they were supposed to do. So as a result of the info the dealership sent to Bobcat Usa, Bobcat has agreed to replace the drive motor and carrier on one side of the machine only... Did I mention that the carrier on the other side of the machine was also next to empty and had never been serviced, even though I was being billed for it. I asked the dealership to replace the drive and carrier on the side that had not failed or at least to extend the warranty of the drive and carrier for an additional length of time because I felt that lack of service/fluid in that side had compromised things. They asked Bobcat Usa and my request was declined, And to no surprise the dealership also said they would not replace or at extend any warranties. Here is my feelings. I think that if Bobcat knew that the dealership did not do what they were supposed to do, Bobcat would have not agreed to replace the drive and carrier on the failed side. If Bobcat indeed then refused to replace these items, then would not that suggest that they (Bobcat) feel that the drive failure is directly linked to the dealerships negligence in not servicing the carrier. And if that was to be the case, then should I not insist that the dealership replace the carrier and the drive motor on the non failed side also, or at least extend the drivetrain warranty? To this point my dealership has not even taken responsibility and acknowledged that they have done anything wrong. The only thing I have heard is that from the mouth of one of there service technicians who said that he did not know that they were to do this so called prescribed service to the carrier. And that Bobcat Usa had recently sent out a service bulletin stating that this work is to be done.... needless to say I had to remind him that this carrier service is in the service manual I have had for the last tree years. Basically telling him to quit trying feed me a line of BS. I've basically been told that there is no connection between the thrown bearing on the carrier side and the roller/pump failure on the drive side. I've been told by the dealership that what I'm saying is equivalent to saying that the front tire on my car is wobbling because my headlight is burnt out. Well I say how long will my tire wobble till the bearing fails..... Sorry but I didn't touch on the now contaminated hydraulic system and the possible problems that could arise down the road. This is starting to sound like a dear Abby letter. I'm really leaning towards contacting Bobcat USA's District Service Manager and digging my heals in with the dealership. When is enough, enough already. What do you think. Thanks in advance.

Replies1
  1. #1Digger8732010-04-26 18:25

    It is my understanding that the hydraulic side fails due to heat produced by the lack of oil/failure on the carrier side. I would agree your dealer should honor your request, but I wouldnt hold my breath. I would go to bobcat USA and try but again I wouldnt hold my breath. This seems to be a typical bobcat/bobcat dealer problem. Digger