Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old Style Caterpillar ignition key

Shimmy1 · 2015-11-03 12:12

Nige, Bob, anyone? I need a part number for the old style ignition key. The one with the little square head. 199-6309 5P-8500 current keys are not right.

Replies35
  1. #1Shimmy12015-11-03 12:19

    This is what it looks like.

  2. #2Nige2015-11-03 12:28

    You're referring to the "old style" Cat corporate ignition key - like the one in the photo below that was all brass minus the plastic coating they have nowadays - aren't you..? Believe it or not that is still a 5P-8500 just like the new ones. The only chance you have is to get hold of one online. http://www.electronic-circuits-diag...Key-5p8500-Do-Not-Duplicate_181821744952.html

  3. #3Nige2015-11-03 12:31

    That's still a 5P-8500 but the old style not the latest & greatest. Again somewhere online would be my suggestion - like here .... http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-Caterpi...ion-Loader-Dozer-New-Key-5P8500-/281749783932

  4. #4kshansen2015-11-03 15:04

    Nige Did you see the price they are asking for that key? Wish I knew they were worth that much, I'd of replaced all the old keys in the equipment at the quarry the week before I retired! Probably could have had about a dozen of the old plain brass ones. Not sure why it matters which version of the 5P8500 someone had as I have never found an application where they were not interchangable. In Shimmy1's picture it does look like the latest ones might hit the ears on the switch but a little time on the bench grinder should relieve that problem. Actually, Shimmy, if you want a well worn plain brass version send me a shipping address by private message. I'll give you a special HEForum discount from the one on ebay!

  5. #5RonG2015-11-03 15:24

    I have a goldmine.....lol Every time I went to the Cat dealer for keys they used to give them to me. Ron G

  6. #6Nige2015-11-03 15:27

    I have a drawer full here at the house ....... right from the first version to the latest.

  7. #7Cmark2015-11-03 16:05

    Early challenger with a Mopar steering column?

  8. #8Former Wrench2015-11-03 16:29

    I aged myself. Here is what my old key looks like.

  9. #9Nige2015-11-03 16:46

    That's an 8H-5306 - still used as a master isolation switch key today.

  10. #10lantraxco2015-11-03 19:01

    Yeah, the operators used to bend them a bit so they would come out with the switch on..... then call me at O-dark-thirty to come out with the service truck to start the machine with dead batteries. Idgits.

  11. #11Shimmy12015-11-03 23:44

    Not so early. 2003 95E.

  12. #12Shimmy12015-11-03 23:47

    Yeah, I know I could grind it to fit. Just don't want to. Kind of surprises me that Cat would stop making something. Not Cat's style.

  13. #13Nige2015-11-04 03:21

    It's not that they have "Stopped making it" simply that the design of the 5P-8500 has changed over the years and nobody thought about situations like yours where the new ergonomic key wont fit......

  14. #14Plant_mech2015-11-04 05:19

    How many changes have the keys gone through? Photos?

  15. #15caterpillarmech2015-11-04 05:43

    The 5p 8500 has gone through three changes while I've been paying attention for the last 16 years.

  16. #16Nige2015-11-04 06:55

    AFAIK there have been 4 versions of 5P-8500. The earliest one was the square "brass" key, Shimmy's key was the 2nd, the 3rd & 4th versions were both pretty similar. The latest is the one on the right. The part of the key that goes into the ignition switch is the same on all of them.

  17. #17RonG2015-11-04 12:44

    All of mine are the first version,I am pretty fussy about losing key sets.I keep two sets on key rings for each machine I run,the master key on one and the ignition on another,of course there are many other keys on each set and I hardly ever have to separate a key from a key ring to run something else.I think I have only one Kobelco key for example.I have my Dresser sets on another key ring plus many more collected over the years..Ron G

  18. #18movindirt2015-11-04 19:32

    Thats pretty cool, our ASV RC-50 came with a 2nd version key back in 2002, that was lost and now it has a 3rd version in it from a few years back. When did they start using the 1st version key in machines?

  19. #19Jim D2015-11-05 00:00

    Very cool, Nige!

  20. #20Nige2015-11-05 03:58

    Google is your friend ............

  21. #21Cmark2015-11-06 16:47

    The old style brass key is still available, although it doesn't have the Cat logo stamped in it. Part number 417-0110. And the 5P8500 was first introduced in 1980. Ref SEBD1026.

  22. #22Nige2015-11-06 17:54

    A Cat Classic Part one would assume..?

  23. #23Cmark2015-11-06 18:23

    Sounds like it starting with 417 but nope, comes up in NPR as a current number.

  24. #24Nige2015-11-06 18:32

    Curiouser & curiouser. One side of the brass version of the 5P8500 always had the Cat logo, the other side had "5P8500 Do Not Duplicate". I wonder what the 417-0110 has on it..?

  25. #25Cmark2015-11-06 18:50

    Nothing. It's plain on both sides.

  26. #26Plant_mech2015-11-07 02:54

    I've only got one of the brass one and tens and tens of the newer ones. Wasn't sure if there was anything older than the bare key. Always find it amazing there all keyed alike and nearly everyone has a dam cat key haha

  27. #27Nige2015-11-07 03:42

    It's probably one of those Chinese knock-offs and Cat are buying it from eBay ......

  28. #28Cmark2015-11-07 06:01

    HA. You owe me 1 x mouthful of pinot noir.

  29. #29Nige2015-11-07 09:09

    I've lost count of the number of keyboards I've ruined through the involuntary exhalation of a mouthful of tea or coffee when laughter strikes without warning......

  30. #30roddyo2015-11-07 09:47

    " Thanks for a useful post. I run the old style flat key because they lay flat on a key ring. That third generation key will eat pockets when new if on a key ring.

  31. #31seatwarmer2015-11-07 09:55

    Nige You need a http://www.ikey.com/product/dbl-810-tb/

  32. #32Buckethead2015-11-07 10:01

    . The early ones had the Cat "Pac Man" symbol, then they went to the newer logo.

  33. #33Tractor_kid2018-04-24 21:38

    Hello Nige! I’ve been searching all over online for a 1st edition cat key and I came upon your thread that talks about cat keys. Will you sell me a old first edition brass cat key? I absolutely love heavy machinery and I think it would be pretty cool to have a old school key. Thank you!! Sincerely, Wesley B.

  34. #34zachfisher152024-11-15 06:08

    I have more then 4 different keys ill be sure to upload different types

  35. #35zachfisher152024-11-15 06:41