this is old girl is parcked right now, i think it runs though cause i went back to take the pics and it was in a different spot.dnt know what year it is thou i found a mfg stamp but no date.
Sweet! That was state of the art in earthmoving technology at one time...
Nice find!
Seems like in my area those old terex's are just as popular as cat scrapers for some reason. They are all over the place, and over last summer a company that had about 15 of them worked across the street from my house. It would be 5:00 AM and they would fire up all 30 of those Detroits. Man were they loud!!!!
I like the criss cross design of the dual exhaust pipes. LOL.
That is a massive scraper!!!!
Man I would hate to be the guy running that machine!!! I bet he hears that old detroit roaring in his sleep!!!!
I grew up about 2 miles from the GM Proving Grounds in Mi. The earthmover testing area was in the corner nearest our house. I can still remember those Jimmys roaring in the distance when I got off the school bus. Jerry
I ran a few Terexes. TS-14s, a TS-18 and a TS-24 like the one in these pics. They were not that bad. You don't see them around much anymore. I miss them.
Thats the first 24 I've seen, but I've worked with several smaller ones.
I stumbled onto these on a shopping trip to South Dakota, the owner told me the tandem ones haul 50 yards, they have a twin turboed 12v-71 in the front and a 8v71T in the back, the normal TS 24s have a natural asperated 12v-71 in the front and a inline 6-71 in the rear position.
Great photos! Hey Cat D9, could you pass along where and when those photos were taken? I have always wanted to see one of those twin Terex's. - Chris
they were taken a month ago in Ft Pierre SD
Thank you very much! This might make an option for a side-trip. - Chris
I have always heard of the twin can 24's, but never have had a chance to see one in person. Thanks for posting. Too bad they are so far away.
I ran some Scottish built TS-24s around 1973 at Gold Coast, Australia. They had 8V-71s front and rear but were tough and reliable. The operators were also tough in those days as they were rigid with no suspension......C ya....Ray
I also ran a couple scottish built TS24's here in jersey. they seemed very under powered in the front with the naturally asparated 8V-71N. As soon as you hammer on the rear you had more than enough power back there start grabbin gears. From what i hear, last year he put turbochargers on the front and it gave them plenty of power. They would of been very nice machines if he took better care of them. niether one has brakes and as soon as you let off the throttle the compressor couldnt keep up with the air leaks and the tranny would kick into neutral. They have been sitting in a field in Medford for about 6 months now. i guess there is no work big enough for them right now. Hopefully they get some work for them soon so they dont get sold or even worse, the torch. They are the only two 24's that i know of in south jersey. i will try to dig up some photos if i can find them. Jim.
Terex spread Believe that spread belongs to AGE Corp, Ft. Pierre S.D.
I beleive you are right on the mark, there was sure a lot of iron there, must have been nearly 20 D9Gs there too
Terex spread I believe all their suppot equipment is Cat. They have a TC12 and a couple of other older machines in their front yard that look pretty cool. I don't know how much work they do anymore but they have a lot of capicity. Believe all their scrapers are older ones also and are probably in pretty good shape yet.m Just went by their a year ago and alot of stuff in the yard.
Really nice pics, pretty cool to see double that weren't in a book. I got an terex history book and a cat one, i can't remeber if it was cat or terex that once made a triple, had proto type pics was pretty cool. We had a fleet of 5 old s-12's that got the tourch this spring, but with msha trying to rape us for whatever they can, didn't have much choice.
TerexTS8, European model.
Euclid/Terex made several doubles (TTS series I think) and one or two Triples. Many contractors did the conversions themselves and Ken Harris out in the Midwest converted many Eucs into a variety of machines. Check out "Euclid Earthmovers: 1924-1968" for more info and pics. Good book. :usa Any pics of the S-12's? Too bad they got torched.
terex`s I don`t think I have ever seen that many terex`s in one place. But I don`t think they were as popular in the Southeast as other parts of the country:
Cat D9 If I remember correctly all the 2 stroke Detroits were supercharged to provide enough air to the engine. A Detroit with a blower is "naturally aspirated"! It takes that 12 pounds of supercharger in the air box to make them run! If the supercharger is bad, they won't run! A turbo version of this engine had the turbo pushing air into the supercharger, increasing air flow to the engine. If it was a supercharged version they stacked blowers on the engine! To find a supercharged Detroit meaning stacked blowers is a feat! They are as rare as hens teeth!
Thats correct. Heres my truck with a little 4-53NA, so yes its supercharged. http://www.vimeo.com/2355903
TTS24's. Not something you see every day. I really miss running the TS24's. Something about hearing the smooth buzz of the V12 in front, and then the rumble of the straight-stack 6-71 in back and feeling that extra kick when you laid the thottle down. 627 or 637 Cats never felt that way to me, not even 657's. One reason these machines were so popular was that they loaded and unloaded so quickly. Much faster than a Cat or anything else. That laid back cutting edge and lift type ejector really worked very well. Those machines in Dakota look pretty well maintained.
It's like you took the words right out of my mouth! :drinkup
Great thread! :usa Does anyone know what size tires the ts24b uses/runs? I searched but can't find it. :beatsme
Serv The TS-24B runs 37.5 x 33 tires. They are not the most common tire size to find, as only them and a few other old machines use them. To my knowledge, and according to my tire guys here, no machine still in production uses them, so there is very few of them made by tire companies, since they are a slow moving item to them. If you need some, let me know, as I have a few.
hey, thanks for the response Jerry. That's something to keep in mind if I ever end up with one of these machines. Do you have any idea how much a ts24b weighs empty? If I had to guess I would say ~125k? I looked at an old Cat 633 elevating scraper a while back that I beilieve had 33" tires on it. Are your tires radial or bias? There's a guy local to me that runs three ts24's and his tires are cracked all the way around. I had a 29.5-29 chinese bias tire that looked like that on my 290m and it blew the entire sidewall out on an empty run when hauling dirt a couple months back. That tire went off like a bomb!! I have since replaced 4 suspicious looking tires on it.
Serv You are pretty close. I think they go about 120K. Most of my tires are Bias. Radials that size are harder than hens teeth to find.