A local test well drilling company needed to get a rig on site, so I used my old D6 to make a road through the woods and to clear a spot for them to work.
Nice looking work there dieseldave, what did you do with all of the timber, and stumps and what not?
I'm just pushing everything out of the way. There's not a lot there, really- it's pretty open woods, and getting a 12 foot path through didn't require taking down lots of trees. I'll go back and cut the oak for firewood when I have time. No pine big or straight enough to send to a mill. The whole site will be cleared eventually, and I'm sure all the trees in the pics will go through the chipper, and the stumps into the grinder. Pic is of the biggest oak I took down, maybe 18" or so, not very big.
Nice! Looks like an old 9U series D6. Do you remember who the previous owner was?
It's a 9U series, '57 or so. I got it from somebody who had picked it up at an auction, so I don't know where it came from. Whoever had it painted their machines blue
Nice old Cat. I bet it's still got a lot of work left in it. I wish mine had a hydraulic blade. I've got a '49 (might be '48) D7 cable dozer. It works fine, but rethreading that cable can be a pain if it comes off the pulley. The blade's heavy, but downpressure would be very nice at times.
I grew up on a 7 with a pony, good pics bud!
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums GinNB! :drinkup
Thx Countryboy. That looks more like Jill Deere in your .sig though. Wonder if you can get that design in an equipment badge? I've got an old JD 690B that needs a bit of style.
I have a couple of old pony 7's, too. This one's a 7M, WWII model, basically same as a 3T. LeT CC unit on the back. Good old machine. :thumbsup
video of the D6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTEjvqzXHU0
I caught the C5 flying over in the upper right corner, lol! I figured that last tree was going to give you a little trouble, it was pretty big. Nice job. Any chance you could film the start up of the machine? I've only ever seen the pony motor machines either parked or working, never saw the start up procedure.
That C5 was circling around all day. Hard to believe something that big can fly. Here's a vid with the pony being used to start the diesel at the beginning, unfortunately the camera was aimed a little high so you can't really see what I'm doing, but you can hear it, at least http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8A_L8DVwEw
D7 Dieseldave That is a nice looking D7 you have their ! I would like to find one in reasonable condition in my neck of the woods. Thin I would have a excuse to bring that old scraper I been keeping my eye on home !
Hey Dave... You've got quite a few nice old Cats. Watching your videos sure brings back some good memories of when I was a kid running a 2U. Those were good times....damn good times... Its good to see someone still using these machines. Some way, some how, I'll make it out to your end of town one day. If you've got an empty seat, I'll be more than happy to fill it for the day... Free of charge...
Buddy, With the exception of the engine (rebuilt in '53 by the Army according to the tag) that ol' 7 is pretty wore out. Trans bearings are worn to the point that it tears out the clutch links on a regular basis, and the rest of the machine is not far behind. Not worth fixing, not yet anyway. Maybe when I'm old and senile... come to think of it, that's already started, so maybe I should get to work on it. But, ahead of it on the list is a D7 17A with a rod knock, a D8 14A that needs TLC, and an HD15 in need of a fresh 671, and an HD9G that needs it's 471 freshened, too. If I were looking for an old D7 I'd try to find a nice D7D, the turbocharged version of the 17A. Basically the same as my old 7 with 50 more hp and an oil clutch- a real nice machine.
You're welcome anytime:drinkup Besides the D6,D7, and D9 I've got a 983 here, an HD9G track loader, a D2, and other assorted junk. If timed right, I might be able to get you on one of our corps of engineers jobs building dike for the disposal areas- lots of fun, and definitley different if you've never done it before. You'd get paid for that, too. LOL
As stated above, you're always welcome at my place (forgot to mention, I'm 30 minutes away from Atlantic City, so we could head over at night and lose anything we might have made during the day ointhead) but if it's a 2U you're after I've got a friend who has a Hi Output in Bakersfield. He just got it a couple of months ago, and is doing some R&R on it right now, but he's not the sort to let the grass grow beneath him and it should be operational soon. He's got a neat little D4 7U with a 6 way blade on it as well. I don't think he's ever run a big dozer, I'm sure he'd welcome someone with some old D8 experience :drinkup
Thats the one! Identical to the one I spent time on....without the ROPS.
i got an d8 cable job and it would be nice do have some down pressure
I hear you, my D7 and D9 are cable blade and you have to adjust your dozing technique. :drinkup
dieseldave, Is that a 5800 Link-Belt in your picture?
Sweet lookin old tractors Dave.I love to see them old tractors still cutting dirt.Tells you something about quality that was built into em..
I'm not sure, but I thought it was a 4800?:beatsme It has an 8v71 in it and it's #117, that's about all I know for sure . Here are a few more pictures, maybe you can tell what it is.
Thanks Blademan, here's a video of it working, and if you look at my other youtube stuff you'll see some other old iron at work too. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTEjvqzXHU0 I posted this link awhile back in another thread - it's of the D6 9U clearing- and I haven't posted any new equipment vids for awhile so if you've seen them already don't waste your time:drinkup Regarding quality, every time I work on one of these things I'm reminded that they built them to the very best of their ability with the finest materials and technology available at the time. One thing that really gets me is when I find a bolt that I'm 99% sure was installed at the factory in 1957 and it comes out like it was installed last week. I'm not necessarily talking about inside stuff that runs in oil, either, but bolts that have been out in the elements for 50+ years.
Mornin Dave.I haven`t seen em yet.Gonna take a look at em.I enjoy seeing older machinery still working and fulfilling was it was made for. Gene
I believe that my father in law has a couple of old pony motors. He has a lot of old parts laying around. Some in the box brand new. He has some cat rollers and Berco that fit a D7 that are brand new and an alternator that's still in the box. Many bearings and filters. I used to help him when ran those older cats. Brought back some memories.
Maybe I am showing my age, but that's what a dozer is supposed to look like!