Guys my question is ,i have an old farm tipper and it requires a new tray pivot shaft ,whats the best type of steel to use,shaft measures 38mm and is just over 1meter long
If you're measuring 38mm, it was probably made at 1 1/2". You should be able to go to your local steel stockist and get it off the shelf. Ask for 1 1/2" bright bar. You won't get a lot of choice on grades unless you specifically order it in. They will probably give you 1040 or something like that, which will be fine for what you're going to use it for.
Strange, It says "Dodge" on the front. But that sure looks like an International Harvester cab. Just my .02.
IH doors are longer front to back, and the cowl isn't straight on the sides.
Im no guru on these old trucks,but pretty sure the inters and dodges share the same cab and a few other bits here in australia
Yair . . . CJR72 . That's right mate, I'm no authority either but I had a C1300 Inter one ton ute and Dodge windscreens were much cheaper than international. Cheers.
Well, Its actually not a bad looking truck. What vintage would that be? Ive always been interested in the differences in the U.S. tucks and the ones down under from the same makers. May be that I watched the "Road Warrior " too many times.
Yair . . . RZucker . I think somewhere '65 to '75. I drove a two stick tandem drive with a 6v53 for a while looked much the same, I always thought it was a '68 model . . . maybe the O/P will set us straight. I seem to remember Dodges of that era also came out with a supercharged Cummins but a quick flick through a couple of old truck websites yielded no information . . . I did come across this though. . . . Apologies to original poster for hi-jacking his thread but I thought the picture may be of interest and too good to pass up. Cheers.
Great pic Scrub. Im not sure, but I think I owned the red pickup on the front when I was 15 . Had the old BD 260? something under the hood with a 3spd column shift. At the same time Dad had me driving an L170 delivering diesel fuel to the equipment every evening, You had to love the reverse hydrovac brakes those trucks had. Slam the pedal to the floor and let it up as the hydro applied the brakes. Or maybe mine was just goofy? And total apologies about a thread hijack. Oops.
No appolgy neaded,hijack away,shes a D5N 500 SERIES, december 75 model ,chassis has been lengthed and rear axle moved rearward ,converted to a tipper some time ago,245 hemi with the 4 speed box,my guess is it might have started life as a telecom truck ,love these things,i spose i was bound to get one eventually,dad had one back in 72,bought it new she was a 300 series same driveline as mine he later sold it then back in 1980 he bought another just like the first ,we kept that truck till the mid 90's when dad sold it off,i learnt to drive in that old girl ...........memories
Scrub Puller thats a very cool picture. It would have been a very long and slow trip trying to pull that much weight and fight the wind in with that setup.
Yair . . . Old Doug . I'd like to see the look on the patrolman's face if you headed out along the highway loaded like that over here. (big grin) Cheers.
Ok fellas ,im no expert but heres one for yous,im in the process of having the hoist rebuilt and i just wanna throw some new o-rings in the control valve,everthing looks great for a 30+year old tipper but one piece has me worried,it looks like its a one way valve or something but not sure,it has a bit of wear on the end after years of being pushed against the circlip are any you fellas familiar with these?
Dang I hate to be wrong.....You'd think it wouldn't bother me anymore, I get so much practice.
Bump
Update k turns out that the valve in the pics is fine but somewhere in the last 30 years a spring has been misplaced ,so after some mucking around i have got it sorted,the hoist cylinder was repaired and i have refitted to truck
Beauty! I gotta say though, I have been a Dodge lover since I was in diapers on my Mom's lap, Dad had a mid 50's truck with a Hemi and torque convertor, but in all the years since, I have NEVER seen an uglier Dodge than this one, lol. Ah well, maybe it would grow on me :drinkup
Haha,pretty sure that this model was never offered in the states,ugly no way,shes perdy
The old dodge or inter was or is still a good old honest farm truck
CJR, if you still have the old pivot, then just cut it in the center and swap the ends, the weld will be in the middle ,no load area. Brisbane city council had a large fleet of those trucks, those were the days when local government bought local made. not like now. And the BCCtrucks were all that orange colour too.
Thanks for the idea rayman,to be honest i didnt think of that
Had to put some parts into the old girl today thermostat housing,water pump,top and bottom hoses,
What engine is that? Maybe a IH since they shared parts down under? Dads 64 D300 had a slant 6 225 cid engine.
Looks Moparish to me from what little I see there, could be wrong. Can't wait to hear the answer, lol. Ah, the slant six..... cars and trucks would literally disintegrate around them, until finally the only thing left was the unstoppable beating heart of those little beauties.... You could neglect and abuse them and still they just never let you down. The rod bearing inserts as I recall were about twice the width of a typical straight six.
245ci hemi six,truck engine
Hemi with the spark plugs in the side? Not saying you're wrong, just not something I've seen before....
Haha,think it was only offered in australia,google 245 or 265 hemi:thumbup:
Learn something new every day! I think this is the performance upgrade you need:
Yeah mate yeah lol,aparantly the 318 v8 option was the best for power and fuel economy
318, another pretty much bulletproof motor.... Still running one here only they call it a 5.2 Liter now...