This ROCKWELL rear end is a model PS 251 HX 12---Near the knuckle where the wheel turns there is a big rubber seal that keeps the oil in the rear differential----this rubber seal is damaged. Was wondering if any of you good folk have been into these and what it takes to get into the area to replace the rubber seal. This machine is a 1964 Mississippi Road Service-- I 80 These tractors were used to pull rear PANS for loading dirt.
MISTAKE The rubber seal I was speaking about is a DUST SEAL not an OIL SEAL-----T oil seal must be farther into the guts of the axle tube.....
I was looking at some pics online to find similar axles and I'm still not sure what I'm looking at. I was thinking most of those type axles are similar, I'm looking at a Pettibone manual, doesn't say who made the axle, but they didn't make the engine, torque converter, or trans, so why would they make the axle? Anyway, the seal around the big spherical part comes off the back, but the whole hub (and planetary?) has to come off to get to the seal, which is just inside the end of the axle tube that doesn't move. Does yours have four bolts top and bottom that hold a square plate? that would be the "king pin" except it doesn't go through the joint obviously. Those come off and the works pulls right out if I'm seeing it right. What you have to do to get it to line up and go back together, I don't know?
Thanks Delmer for taking time to give me some info. I am going to be 72 on Thurs. just not sharp enough to post pics here. Always says they are too big. Any easy tips on how to post pics here. Have a few of the axle and tractor. thank you len in michiigan
I'm not the guy to ask about pictures, but if you go into your camera you can adjust the quality down to a lower level that will make smaller files. That's what I do, I'm sure there's other ways. Does that sound like what you have, a ball on the end that swivels with a plate/pin at the top and bottom holding it in place?
If you have your pics on a PC, this is how I resize them. Pretty easy and Windows has the tools to do it. These instructions are for W7. Use method 1 http://www.wikihow.com/Resize-an-Image-in-Microsoft-Paint Hope this helps!
Yes it is a ball out near the end and the wheel-rim swivel around it for turning and the brake area is there also. Guessing the oil should not be in the brake area.
I've dealt with these axles years ago and am sure I found the info on the internet somewhere, just have to remember where. But I did see that you posted in another forum and there's someone there who appears to have the info you need. Let me know if I need to keep looking.
Thanks excavator--yeah I have been looking for help and a fella has offered some info. that I am looking at when an dif he can send it.
thanks for the information......but a not sure I can make it work with what I AM USING firefox...
PM sent.
It's a Pettibone type axle. They made a 3 and a 4 gear planetary reduction series. Delmer is correct in the fact if you remove the upper and lower trunnions caps, the tie rod, and the steering cylinder, the entire assembly should slide out.
Going to try pics again
Delmer----I have a picture down below-you can see where the oil leaks down on the tire.
Vetech63 going to try for another picture and show a small opening on the bottom where some oil leaks out.
Last picture of the outside of the wheel rim axle....
I would take the plate with the two big bolts off the top, and the identical one off the bottom. Then the whole thing should slide right off. I'm not positive though, because I don't have a diagram of an axle with that bolted flange on the axle tube.
Was told that there is a CONSTANT VELOCITY JOINT in there as the wheel rotates of course and steers..
Yes, there's a CV joint in there. The diagram I have show splines on the inside of the CV joint pull right off the axle shaft. I don't know what those flanges are for on yours though.
I sure would like to see a pic of the inside of the short flange. That would solve a lot of my questions for sure...
Sorry, I don't have a picture of one with the flanges. Mine has a one piece rear end housing with a ball on each end as part of the same one piece. The axle shaft goes from the differential, to the cv joint. It looks like only the seal at the end on that shaft, no bearings. The shaft slips inside the CV joint and rides in that. The flange seems like it must have a purpose, possibly more bearings and seals inside?
Trying another picture
Delmer -OTHERS I have a pic above of the Planetery on the left side of the pic and on the right is the axle going into the differential with an oil seal--right in the middle is the RZEPPA steering knuckle. On the top there is a grease zerk and on the bottom where there should be a zerk--no zerk-- is where the oil is leaking out. Is that middle section with the RZEPPA --should that be full of oil????? or Grease??? The differential is low and the Planetary seems to be full.... if that middle section runs in oil is it from the Planetary????
There is no oil in that area. The oil is leaking from the axle seal behind the joint. There is a bushing and seal at the outer part of the axle housing, most I have seen in the past are behind the bolt on spindle flange. You will need to remove everything outside of the end of the axle housing to gain access. Also, make sure when you pull the upper and lower trunnions caps that you keep the same shims together with each cap, and reinstall them with the right cap. The shims are there to keep the axle aligned with the steering spindle so you do not overload the axle bushing with the weight of the machine.
Thanks Vetech63--good info. does that knuckle area run dry or is it packed with grease??? Going thru your state on Monday heading down to Midland-Odessa to the oil field area.....