Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Older 580CK new lights (HID) and looking good, ready for winter.

fast_st ยท 2011-01-09 00:28

Well, I had a bunch of wiring repair to do on my 580CK Backhoe, the headlight switch fell apart and there were a lot of little wiring difficulties. After getting a new switch from Tractor Supply and getting it in, running a new wire to the front for the headlights and doing a little degreasing. Duckworks and my local Milfordpower.com both sell a par 36 housing that takes an H3 bulb. The best conversion kits seem to come from Xenonempire.com as far as reliability biased on cost. The lamp housings were $13 each and the kit was $60 for two ballasts and H3 converted S1 bulbs. So under $100 I mounted the ballasts right behind the eagle with two long bolts, a thick piece of silicone sheet covers up the eagle mounts and gives a little cushion, the two bolts run through an aluminum strap to hold the ballasts snug. Each ballast has an 18" wire that leads to the bulb and a 20 some inch 12v harness. Looking from the bottom up well the results over the typical 4411 bulbs is pretty startling Tractor seat view, just a 1/10th second exposure, no flash, trees quite plainly defined to 200 feet out. View from off to the side a bit, the conversion doesn't put the light out as neatly as the sealed beam, it goes everyplace but there is a lot more of it. http://www.tiger-mtn.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=804&g2_serialNumber=2 Overall, if you have older equipment, I'd suggest this for any serious night operations.

Replies7
  1. #1fast_st2011-01-09 07:53

    Another reason I went with xenon is that they only draw 35 watts each versus the 50-100 for the super bright halogen sealed beam lamps.

  2. #2digsalot2011-01-11 06:33

    Very nice, I put HID's on me bike love them!

  3. #3DTLUPER2011-01-16 18:21

    Cool!

  4. #4troyharnish2011-01-22 17:27

    Very nice! Thanks for posting, I am just about to put some new lights on my Case 580K, and I think HID will make a better choice by the looks of it.

  5. #5fast_st2011-01-24 19:21

    Its a little bit of a trick finding the par36-H3 housings, but they're around and mostly from india.

  6. #6packratc2011-01-27 09:44

    Thanks for the thread and pictures. Just bought the oldest 580 CK, and the roughest one, in captivity. Even the holes for the non-existent light are rusted through. I'm sure your post will come in handy when I get to that point. Thanks again, packratc

  7. #7fast_st2011-01-27 10:29

    I suppose I was lucky mine was only parking lot service. The holes are good as are the metal rings that the rubber retainer slides onto It does make working at night a bunch better and I feel better working near the street when you look like a space ship. I have one of the rubber mounted floodlights on the control tower and added a guarded Hella Ultrabeam lamp on the dipper aimed down right at the bucket. Great for night time work.