Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Older Case Backhoe Hydraulic Problem

Peter_H ยท 2015-06-02 10:13

I have a Case Model 21 backhoe on a 210B gasoline powered tractor. I bought it from a good friend who has since passed away. I have done an amazing amount of work with it for the cheap price I paid for it. I am now having trouble with the swing system on the backhoe boom. The model 21 hoe is similar to the model 33 I think. The problem I am having is that I have to push very very hard on the swing pedals to swing the backhoe boom. Its almost like its fighting hydraulic pressure to overcome the force on the pedal. The boom cycles either way properly, its just very hard to get it to move via the pedal. I'm thinking maybe a relief valve problem. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I'm hoping maybe a member on here has some experience with the older case backhoes. My swing pedals are not a flat pad like the newer machines. Mine are just a round piece of steel bar stock.

Replies5
  1. #1old-iron-habit2015-06-02 14:53

    First step would be to make sure you have not got dirt and crap holding the swing pedals from operating easily. Just follow the linkage and clean everything up. The next would be to see how much slop/wear is in the linkage for the swing. It can get bad enough on older machines to bottom out the pedal before the valve gets opened much. Look at the valve to insure it is functioning full stroke in both directions. If that does not do it we will have to look further.

  2. #2Scott Schooley2018-04-08 12:54

    I have this same problem with my 1989 580K. Please suggest repairs while i search for a post with an answer. Thanks

  3. #3Delmer2018-04-08 15:39

    go to the search function in the upper right of this page, search "case swing" and alrman as the member. You'll find everything you need if Oldironhabit's suggestions haven't helped. Or post what you find when trying Oldironhabit's suggestions, pics are very helpful.

  4. #4Scott Schooley2018-04-08 17:44

    Thank you! Will do.

  5. #5Coy Lancaster2018-04-14 10:49

    Hey Scott there are grease fittings for your swing pedals behind the control valve cover. There are two holes covered by plastic plugs remove these and you should be able to grease linkage.